Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Yeah I just hit 240 pounds yesterday, I feel like a beast but will be wanting to cut out. I hate feeling weak when I try to cut, that's the main reason I never do it. Maybe im doing it wrong? Not that I have tried very hard, I just don't want to lose gains

You'll always feel weak when cutting. No way around it.

Just because you Feel weak during a cut does NOT mean you are losing muscle tissue.

You feel weaker because you're muscles are in a somewhat deprived state of nutrients. There's just not as much fuel there. AND your CNS is whacked out because you are in a caloric deficit.

All these dudes you see on mag covers and in articles (200-240lbs) and ripped six packs, they are all on gear.

The general ruler of thumb is this

Over 6 foot, can carry 185ish lbs of lean mass
Under 6 foot, can carry 170ish lbs of lean mass

Lean mass is water, bone, muscle, guts.

So, a 6 foot tall dude can have 185lbs of lean mass (naturally), that's not including any fat, well you must carry some fat in order to survive. We will assume 10% here (it is achievable naturally but very difficult at heavy lbm weights and years (10 usually) of training). This puts our 6 foot dude at 203.5 lbs at 10% BF. This guys is gonna look incredible. Hopefully this will shed some light on what's a realist goal for weight and BF%. Not saying anybody here is misled by any means.

But I've seen lots of guys in my gym who are 250 and 30+ % BF they get disappointed when they cut down and realize they'll have to go under 200lbs to have abs.. Again I'm not saying this is the case with anybody in this thread, I e never seen you guys lol. Just some personal observations and injecting some straight up truth.

Wolf

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
You'll always feel weak when cutting. No way around it.

Just because you Feel weak during a cut does NOT mean you are losing muscle tissue.

You feel weaker because you're muscles are in a somewhat deprived state of nutrients. There's just not as much fuel there. AND your CNS is whacked out because you are in a caloric deficit.

All these dudes you see on mag covers and in articles (200-240lbs) and ripped six packs, they are all on gear.

The general ruler of thumb is this

Over 6 foot, can carry 185ish lbs of lean mass
Under 6 foot, can carry 170ish lbs of lean mass

Lean mass is water, bone, muscle, guts.

So, a 6 foot tall dude can have 185lbs of lean mass (naturally), that's not including any fat, well you must carry some fat in order to survive. We will assume 10% here (it is achievable naturally but very difficult at heavy lbm weights and years (10 usually) of training). This puts our 6 foot dude at 203.5 lbs at 10% BF. This guys is gonna look incredible. Hopefully this will shed some light on what's a realist goal for weight and BF%. Not saying anybody here is misled by any means.

But I've seen lots of guys in my gym who are 250 and 30+ % BF they get disappointed when they cut down and realize they'll have to go under 200lbs to have abs.. Again I'm not saying this is the case with anybody in this thread, I e never seen you guys lol. Just some personal observations and injecting some straight up truth.

Wolf

Very helpful, and realistic. I'm not shooting for a 6 pack. I probably will shoot for 215 as an achieveable goal I just want to be lean enough to notice smaller gains and look a little better. I'm bulky at 240 for sure but usually float around 230, so maybe 205 to 210 would be good. Guess I'll just see what happens.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
It's ok I'm on that boat. I'm bailing water at a high rate of speed but she is still pretty dang full. I need to get some knee sleeves to see if that will help them with all the popping and a belt so I can load more weight. But I'm making gains...feels pretty awesome. Thanks for all the motivation from everyone of you big fellers in here

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
It's ok I'm on that boat. I'm bailing water at a high rate of speed but she is still pretty dang full. I need to get some knee sleeves to see if that will help them with all the popping and a belt so I can load more weight. But I'm making gains...feels pretty awesome. Thanks for all the motivation from everyone of you big fellers in here

Might try out these ST sleeves Brock. There cheaper than my SBD's but supposedly just as good and maybe better. I need another pair to rotate out as they get pretty ripe:D
http://www.howmuchyabench.net/strong-sleeves
Titan yellow jackets are pretty good from what I here as well.
http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/category-s/1823.htm

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Albert, I notice the only sizes they have are xs,2xl, 3xl lol. How can I pick the right size based on measurements? Pretty sure xs won't work and 2xl won't either lol

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Albert, I notice the only sizes they have are xs,2xl, 3xl lol. How can I pick the right size based on measurements? Pretty sure xs won't work and 2xl won't either lol

Waid, from what several others have said the sizing is very comparable to SBD... The SBD's I have are pretty tight getting on and it's recommended to use the calf or the knee depending on which is larger. I run Mediums due to small calf syndrome:D

I noticed that the black ST sleeves are shown out of stock but the they have Pink, Red or Blue or you can rock the SBD's.

Here is the sizing chart for SBD which will work for the ST sleeves as well.
http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/category-s/1860.htm

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Benched 135x6 today, which is my current weight. Had my wife spot me. Lol. Felt good to have big plates on there. Shoulder felt okay. I think Im gonna limit myself at 150 on the bench, but increase reps to failure once I get there.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Damn chris pictured you as a huge guy. 6'6" 260-280 Paul Bunyan looking. Would've never thought you were little like Brian. What'd you do to the shoulder?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Damn chris pictured you as a huge guy. 6'6" 260-280 Paul Bunyan looking. Would've never thought you were little like Brian. What'd you do to the shoulder?

Ha! Nope. 5'10" and skinny. :rofl:

Anterior Delt strain. Not sure if I did it working, lifting or playing hockey. Finally feels okay using it again. When I hurt myself I weighed 165 and was benching 225x6 with no issue & Doing dumbell flys with 70s. My friend that is a trainer in FL told me I was lifting way too heavy for my size and was just asking to get hurt. Live and learn I guess.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Ha! Nope. 5'10" and skinny. :rofl:

Anterior Delt strain. Not sure if I did it working, lifting or playing hockey. Finally feels okay using it again. When I hurt myself I weighed 165 and was benching 225x6 with no issue & Doing dumbell flys with 70s. My friend that is a trainer in FL told me I was lifting way too heavy for my size and was just asking to get hurt. Live and learn I guess.

Hmm, I don't know if I would say your lifting to heavy for your size... If you can't do the lifts with proper form and control or have poor technique then yes it's to much weight. I know guys in the 150-165 range that bench in the 300's with no problems. It could have been as simple as improper warm up or not enough stretching.