Street Duramax Trucks to be banned

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
The other thing is, kids with camero's make mistakes the same way Dale Earnhardt can make mistakes. There is only one way to become a racer of any kind, and that is to race. No one grows up to be a good racer overnight, I think that is a given. Few things in life (maybe nothing) can prepare you for such an event. I think everyone that starts racing hopes that they don't jump in over their head. I think CompD in general over-reacted with the whole safety thing even though they won't admit it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The rednecks still can't figure out why they lost the civil war.:rolleyes: The north was using horsepower and those southern guys were stuck on the cummings. :baby:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I think a better idea would be driver training over a cage

If a guy/girl gets in trouble on the strip a cage wont protect the guy in the other lane,yet a well trained driver might?
Cage is IMO the last resort in a accident,A better driver can prevent it from happening

JUST A THOUGHT

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
The other thing is, kids with camero's make mistakes the same way Dale Earnhardt can make mistakes. There is only one way to become a racer of any kind, and that is to race. No one grows up to be a good racer overnight, I think that is a given. Few things in life (maybe nothing) can prepare you for such an event. I think everyone that starts racing hopes that they don't jump in over their head. I think CompD in general over-reacted with the whole safety thing even though they won't admit it.

Training could?

I agree that Comp D did over react though,Think about this....People put in a cage and now they are considerd a saferer racer:confused: Also less people will race,because they would need a bar to go to the track
But now they are on the street and racing

Perhaps every vehicle should have a cage:rofl: Then we would all be safe

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I think a better idea would be driver training over a cage

If a guy/girl gets in trouble on the strip a cage wont protect the guy in the other lane,yet a well trained driver might?
Cage is IMO the last resort in a accident,A better driver can prevent it from happening

JUST A THOUGHT

US millitary belives this as well.. it will amaze you to know how many 2 and 3rd world countrys as almost the same equipment we do. the biggerst differents not only do we have the lastest goochie stuff but we also have min 4x the seat time as everyone else

rushingbc

< I drive slow trucks
Sep 3, 2006
Beaufort, SC
:laughing4: truer words have never been spoken. driver training, some sort of class licensing (if you want to run 10.0 then prove it at 13.0, 12.0, etc, then drive your head off). basically prove you can go fast by going slow a few times??

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
:laughing4: truer words have never been spoken. driver training, some sort of class licensing (if you want to run 10.0 then prove it at 13.0, 12.0, etc, then drive your head off). basically prove you can go fast by going slow a few times??

iirc to get a NHRA licsense you have to do several pass and shut down at various points of the track. which i am sure pat has and probly kat.

i know chris beanes does.. hell he is currently running low 7s in the heritage series..

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
iirc to get a NHRA licsense you have to do several pass and shut down at various points of the track. which i am sure pat has and probly kat.

i know chris beanes does.. hell he is currently running low 7s in the heritage series..

Chris has a NHRA license, but neither I or Kat do. You need a NHRA license starting at 9.99.

But both Kat and I have formal race training; Kat graduated Spring Mountain, and I'm Bondurant GP trained as well as Evolution and SCCA schools.

I have taught a couple of informal Intro to Dragracing classes in the past that included hands-on training. This is done on a volunteer basis, and perhaps might be a good thing to get organized.

rushingbc

< I drive slow trucks
Sep 3, 2006
Beaufort, SC
I believe a lot in training, and I think Malibu will agree, our services take kids out of high school and train them to work on systems that save lives daily.

It could help IMHO. I need a TON of experience before I would put myself in the seat of even an 11 second truck. I'm fine working for that one tenth at a time, and I'm starting at 14.0.

I think an organized group of instructions would be benificial to everyone from the guys that have been racing for years to the new guys with 5 passes under their belts. Even make an open discussion out of it, the new guys have tons to learn and the old guys always learn stuff answering questions.

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
Chris has a NHRA license, but neither I or Kat do. You need a NHRA license starting at 9.99.

But both Kat and I have formal race training; Kat graduated Spring Mountain, and I'm Bondurant GP trained as well as Evolution and SCCA schools.

I have taught a couple of informal Intro to Dragracing classes in the past that included hands-on training. This is done on a volunteer basis, and perhaps might be a good thing to get organized.

I think your on to something my friend.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
Originally Posted by slowlmm
Preventing acidents is your goal Right? do you know what the likely hood of a roll over in our trucks or any car for that matter? Do you know tht roll over is the least likely cause of death in any car or truck ? do you know strikeing the roll bar with your head in sudden impact with a helemet can generate forces greater then tht of a unprotected head with no roll bar? IM curious to seee what research you guys have done into this. Y do i ask becuase i can answer every question. I have been involved in the fire service for over 8 years and 5 of those years where in specialty extracations situtaions. and crash saftey and research. I have over 100 hrs in crash saftey and extrcation classes and continue my education evn thoe im not curentley active in the fire dept do to a injury a year ago. If preventing acidents is your goal learn wht the real dangers are. and if you wooried about the spectators and your familey learn what needs to be fixed to adress tht as well. As far as saying most have fast mouths and not trucks. is just not true. wether it be truck bike car boat or plane there is alot of racing experince here. and have gone may times faster then 120 +mph. and danger is danger at any speed or event learn wht you can do to prevent it and dont try to throw wht you think are good ideas at things without research.

all good info,does your trasinign and knowledge roll over into race type situation,i mean by this ,i would assume there to be a difference in speeds and impacts in daily driving versus racing type applications.perhaps not,what do you think.tobviously my reply is bringing out the racers in this site perhaps i should have said those that have been posting on this topic already as my reply was in responce to them.as far as answering all the questions you listed,just fo compariosns sake will you list them for say 35,55,and 65 mph for say 3500 and 7000 lb pound vehicles.i think it would give us something to discuss with actual statiscal data.this is the type of info we need.if you could the please list the same data for 95,115 and 125 mph i would assume if you can even find it that there will be much different data,perhaps not.please understand this i dont want new rules just being made.Wade made a comment about nhra and ihrs makeing safe rules i personly dont think they had 11 and 12 sec 700lb diesel trucks with non speed rated tires in mind when they made the rules.i think it will be better for us to try and come up with some saftey standards ourselves before some one else does it for us..just bring tjis back to the top still waiting for your reply slowlmm

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well, if your gonna run 130mph, you need tires rated for that. That is a given. Do you need a cage? I don't think so. Equip your vehicle with the necessary safety measures required for a DAILY DRIVER that goes down the track once in awhile and check all of your equipment before you make a pass and after, I think there is no need for a cage if due dilligence is enforced on the part of the drivers in this area.

If they want cages on the track for daily drivers, people are just going to go back to the street.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I hear TTS is petitioning for Extended Cab trucks to be banned from sled pulling too... :D

Jess, both our trucks have 149mph (V-Rated) tires or true racing tires mounted on them. Not because it's required, but because I like playing safe. Got kids, employees, and bill collectors to keep happy. ;)

Thankfully the Girl's Club of Dodge City backed off their silly demand so we can continue to race safely at a drag strip.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
I hear TTS is petitioning for Extended Cab trucks to be banned from sled pulling too... :D

Jess, both our trucks have 149mph (V-Rated) tires or true racing tires mounted on them. Not because it's required, but because I like playing safe. Got kids, employees, and bill collectors to keep happy. ;)

Thankfully the Girl's Club of Dodge City backed off their silly demand so we can continue to race safely at a drag strip.
i understand on the whole tires,wife kids employees.you guys are equipped to make the speeds many arnt...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
And all this crap started with a Dodge that would not handle from the day it was put together incorrectly and a driver that was way over his head. Kinda reminds me of the anti gun lobbly. Soon as a shooting occurs they want to punish law abiding citizens with strckter laws and rules like the whole thing was their fault and not the idiot who actually did it. :rolleyes:

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
And all this crap started with a Dodge that would not handle from the day it was put together incorrectly and a driver that was way over his head. Kinda reminds me of the anti gun lobbly. Soon as a shooting occurs they want to punish law abiding citizens with strckter laws and rules like the whole thing was their fault and not the idiot who actually did it. :rolleyes:

x2

dieselson

Oct 14, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA

x3 I totally agree with this statement, you have to work your way up or face serious consequences.