Street Duramax Trucks to be banned

UNBROKEN

Mar 30, 2008
At what point are you NOT in over your head ?
Was Scott Kalitta in over his head ?
Accidents happen no matter how careful we are or how well we prepare our vehicles.
I don't want to see 1 single person hurt doing this...not 1.

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Accidents happen no matter how careful we are or how well we prepare our vehicles.

scot kalitta was NOT over his head. shit breaks period.
no one want to see any one hurt. period. you play with fire you are going to get burned sooner or later no matter how many saftey precation you take.. the possibility that you could get killed is an accepted fact.

funny analogy. dotn want to knock up a girl dont have sex that is the ONLY 100% garentee to not procreate. everything else just reduces the chance of procreateing.

dont want to get hurt or see someone hurt drag racing. dont race and donr participate in them.

it is a risk any driver takes when straping in and going down the strip.

makeing currently rules stricter will only hurt the sport..

dont know why you are so against the current rules. in any competative sport poeple get hurt and die that is a fact of life

it sound like you want to lock everyone up in straight jackets and a padded room :mad:

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
And all this crap started with a Dodge that would not handle from the day it was put together incorrectly and a driver that was way over his head. Kinda reminds me of the anti gun lobbly. Soon as a shooting occurs they want to punish law abiding citizens with strckter laws and rules like the whole thing was their fault and not the idiot who actually did it. :rolleyes:
wont argue with the put together aspect of the truck,as i dont know much about it.however i still say Gary is as good a driver or better than anyone posting in this thread.
i hope slowlmm can get that info he posted he knew,it can be used to keep unecesary rule changes out,if such data exist:D:D:D

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
it wasn't even an nhra sanctioned track to begin with.

and whos fault for organizing and event at such a track. were known vehicles would be capable of exceeding the safteys of the said track. :eek: :rolleyes:

in the millitary we call that setting your troops up for failure. it is highly discourage and a sign of poor leadership.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i left the posters names out for a reason all these quote were taken out of this thread http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25088
i havent even gone through half of it. and there is two other thread reguarding this topic on your site as well.. and the fact that you are/were thinking about have a roll bar in a DD truck. it could be said that you are somewhat in agreement with putting a roll bar/cage in a 12 sec or slower truck. wanting something either stricter or looser rules by principle is against what ever the current rules

as for people wanting to talk to the NHRA about the said rules to implement bars and cages at slower times.. i havent found it to quote it verbatim but i have seen it. iirc it was a person in the TS camp that wanted to do that.

as much as some will hate it... i agree. I would even say maybe 12.49 needs a bar, and go 11.49 for the 6 pt cage for vehicles over a set weight limit.
...I race an 11.70 truck w/ no cage. Before I race again, it will have a 6 point cage just like the one that saved Gary's life this weekend.
IMHO... any truck much faster than 12.50 needs one.
i agree that we need to roll bar at 12.49 and cage at 11.99, even at 12.49 i know my truck is going about 118mph. and i am one of the heaviest out there.
In theory i think over 115mph diesel trucks should have at least a 10 point and a 6 point 100-114mph
Here are my thoughts for some basic requirements:

13.99 - 12.00 - Helmet and Jacket as long as original cab and firewall are intact.

11.99 - 11.00 - All the above plus 6 point Roll bar, 4-5 point harness (same as current 11.49-10.00) and neck collar.

10.99 - 10.00 - All of the above plus roof and dash bars (cage) I'm sorry, but at 10.99 and faster.......it's not much of a daily driver anymore unless of coarse your name is........ Aw........nevermind!!

9.99 - 7.5 - Requires a License and Cert. chassis anyway.
My opinion on roll bar and cages has them in trucks running in the 13.00 area,
Lets start with 11.49 trucks and above. Any truck running from 11.49 to 12.50 should have a cage and 12.50-13.5 have a roll bar. No one will be allowed to participate otherwise.

iirc it was this thread or another that got pat banned. IMo should have banned both steve cole and pat not one or the other.

UNBROKEN

Mar 30, 2008
So people aren't allowed to have opinions ?
I'm not saying they're right OR wrong...but they are their opinions and they are entitled to them.
Since when is open discussion construed as making rule changes ?

Some might say that people with high 13 second trucks such as yourself shouldn't even get to have an opinion on this subject. I'm not one of them...but they're out there.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
So people aren't allowed to have opinions ?
I'm not saying they're right OR wrong...but they are their opinions and they are entitled to them.
Since when is open discussion construed as making rule changes ?

Some might say that people with high 13 second trucks such as yourself shouldn't even get to have an opinion on this subject. I'm not one of them...but they're out there.

people are allowed to have opinions. and i said i dont know why you are agains the current rules.

mike l has a very good point.
Kinda reminds me of the anti gun lobbly. Soon as a shooting occurs they want to punish law abiding citizens with strckter laws and rules like the whole thing was their fault and not the idiot who actually did it

there are poeple that say we shouldnt be racing to begin with.

bigbird

Sep 18, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
wont argue with the put together aspect of the truck,as i dont know much about it.however i still say Gary is as good a driver or better than anyone posting in this thread.
i hope slowlmm can get that info he posted he knew,it can be used to keep unecesary rule changes out,if such data exist:D:D:D

he may be a good driver, but on that run he wasn't. lots of guys have an off day.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

If your litmus test for an acceptable risk is 0.0%, then you might as well gargle a jar of sleeping pills right now.

Because only one thing about life is certain; that you won't get out of it alive.

Safety for 12 second trucks is EXCELLENT right now. It's the faster trucks that are crashing.

So instead of fixing the faster trucks, your solution is fixing the slower trucks.

It's folk like you that will kill diesel pickup racing.

You think Diesel Pickup racing will evolve into NASCAR, but it won't. It's a small grass-roots sport that is participant-driven, not spectator driven.

You are so willing to attempt the conversion that you will kill the sport trying.

It might sound like I have contempt for safety (or at least that what the Infomercial Team at CompD will have you believe) but the truth is the opposite. If I thought for one second that putting rollbars into street pickups improve safety, I'd be all over it. But there is no evidence, and logical point to exactly the opposite. By making the trucks more top-heavy, it helps them roll. Stock pickups are very difficult to roll on flat surfaces, but when you add weight up high, they become much easier to roll. See the rollover stats for SUV's and Vans versus pickups. Much higher.

And there are few rollover deaths in pickups where the driver was helmeted, buckled up, and air-bagged. Probably close to or exactly zero per year.

UNBROKEN

Mar 30, 2008
So instead of fixing the faster trucks, your solution is fixing the slower trucks.

Do you guys need reading glasses ?
When, where and how have I ever said I wanted to "fix" slower trucks.

I'm open minded enough to listen to discussion and try to hear what peoples concerns are.

I won't bash someone because their opinion differs from mine.

It seems there is a one track mindset here that everyone else is out to get slower trucks....I can assure you that's not the case although I've become very aware of the fact that nothing I say here will be taken at face value. Some will always believe that I'm spearheading some fictional movement to kill slow trucks....so no matter what I say or how I say it...it'll get twisted into something it's not.

Oh well...it's still fun to try to keep the misconceptions in check.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
If your litmus test for an acceptable risk is 0.0%, then you might as well gargle a jar of sleeping pills right now.

Because only one thing about life is certain; that you won't get out of it alive.

Safety for 12 second trucks is EXCELLENT right now. It's the faster trucks that are crashing.

You think Diesel Pickup racing will evolve into NASCAR, but it won't. It's a small grass-roots sport that is participant-driven, not spectator driven.

You are so willing to attempt the conversion that you will kill the sport trying.

It might sound like I have contempt for safety (or at least that what the Infomercial Team at CompD will have you believe) but the truth is the opposite. If I thought for one second that putting rollbars into street pickups improve safety, I'd be all over it. But there is no evidence, and logical point to exactly the opposite. By making the trucks more top-heavy, it helps them roll. Stock pickups are very difficult to roll on flat surfaces, but when you add weight up high, they become much easier to roll. See the rollover stats for SUV's and Vans versus pickups. Much higher.

And there are few rollover deaths in pickups where the driver was helmeted, buckled up, and air-bagged. Probably close to or exactly zero per year.
any idea how much weight your bar added to casper total?if you know would you have a gues how much of that total weight is above the drivers seat?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Do you guys need reading glasses ?
When, where and how have I ever said I wanted to "fix" slower trucks.

I'm open minded enough to listen to discussion and try to hear what peoples concerns are.

I won't bash someone because their opinion differs from mine.

It seems there is a one track mindset here that everyone else is out to get slower trucks....I can assure you that's not the case although I've become very aware of the fact that nothing I say here will be taken at face value. Some will always believe that I'm spearheading some fictional movement to kill slow trucks....so no matter what I say or how I say it...it'll get twisted into something it's not.

Oh well...it's still fun to try to keep the misconceptions in check.

the fact that so many wanted to and pushed too add bars and cage to slower truck INSTEAD of fixing the problem and asking why did gary wreck in the fist place................... instead gary was put on a pedastal and made it like he did no wrong.
iirc you said you ran pro 5.0 or 10.5 outlaw? right? and you cant tell me what is wrong with how the said truck is set up????? :confused:

any honest drag racer can tell that truck isnt/wasnt setup right too be running that fast.. it left the line sideways.

UNBROKEN

Mar 30, 2008
the fact that so many wanted to and pushed too add bars and cage to slower truck INSTEAD of fixing the problem and asking why did gary wreck in the fist place................... instead gary was put on a pedastal and made it like he did no wrong.
iirc you said you ran pro 5.0 or 10.5 outlaw? right? and you cant tell me what is wrong with how the said truck is set up????? :confused:

any honest drag racer can tell that truck isnt/wasnt setup right too be running that fast.. it left the line sideways.

Gary's truck isn't mine to comment on. The last time I even saw that truck in person was 2 years ago at TS when it belonged to someone else. I have no knowledge of the set-up when Gary had it other than the obvious stuff on the outside.

UNBROKEN

Mar 30, 2008
"IF" someone presented proof that something more was needed...would you reconsider or would you stick to your guns ?
Would you eat the crow if it was served up to to you ?

I'm not suggesting anything...but does everyone here honestly believe speed and WEIGHT have no impact on a crash ?
I have a hard time believing that a wreck in a 3300 lb car has less impact force than a wreck in a 7500 pound truck....or even equal for that matter. I'm not crash expert...but my gut tells me the heavier object is gonna smack stuff with more force given equal speeds.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
any idea how much weight your bar added to casper total?if you know would you have a gues how much of that total weight is above the drivers seat?

I didn't weigh the bar separately. But our CG is about where your butt is on a stock Dmax. Maybe a couple inches lower. Most of the bar is above the CG.