Question: Should I get a 2012?

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
Prepare for rambling!

I like the new suspension and really need/want a crew cab fairly often. Although not having a CC has led to my 04 only having 72k on it so far... :rofl: Can't make up my mind... Because I really do like my 04. It could use head gaskets and studs, still pressurizes the coolant and pushes a bit out if I fill it full but it's done that since 30k and never gotten worse so I've never fixed it. Trans could use built, does limp more easily on the 5-4 downshift lately under full power. No reason I can't keep driving it the way it is though, and a paid for truck is nice... Plus I put new 18s and tires on it a while back and couldn't put those on the new one. :mad: Well the wheels anyway, the tires I could, all the 12s I am interested in have 18 inch wheels. A new truck would have the CC I want, better suspension, and more power than my LLY unless I build the trans and bump my tune up. Payments, and possible shitting itself on the DEF deal would be downsides. Bigass long thread about the terrors of the regen cycle over on derpelplazen that kinda worries me. I don't drive far/long enough for the regen cycle a lot of the time from what they describe. Although H&S isn't that far from here. Maybe I should just post it for sale on here for someone that wants to build a race truck or something? Thought about keeping it and putting a flatbed with the welder and stuff on it, but too nice a truck to do that to it really. :confused:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
A brand spanking new truck you will pay dearly for....why not an 11 with like 10-15k miles on it....save 10K and call it a day.

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
Impossible to find a decent used one around here, at least with the interior I want and not as many miles as my LLY has. I've been watching the FS on here and dorkelputzin and seems like there are a shitload of trucks with 120k+ that guys want near what they paid for them. I found a nice CC 2008 that was almost what I wanted, had 58k miles so hardly less than my 04 has. They wanted $34k for it, for another 10 thousand I'd have a new one with no miles. They'd give me the same trade value as the dealer with the new truck...

Also not sure I could stand the mileage sucking with the regens when my LLY does so well on trips. Around the farm probably not much difference.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I bought my truck new for 50k+.... That being said, I won't be buying another new one, I love knowing everything about my truck but I've learned that these trucks can take a beating regardless of mileage. Obviously that won't apply to all trucks but then again that's why you loook anlook until you find one that makes you happy.... And the wallet

Camaroz2866

Feb 4, 2012
Yes worth it. I had a 2000 and contemplated getting a new one for a while. Kept trying to convince myself I could make the 2000 how I wanted ect.... When I drove off the lot. To every time I get in my 2012 Denali hd. I'm 100%. And the peace of mind knowing everything's covered under warranty ect...

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
The only problem with my 2011 is that you can't tune it with EFI. Of you want a brand new truck see if a dealer can find a 2011 for you. They are sill on the lots somewhere. That is how I got mine cheap. (cheaper). They are tryig to get rid of all the 11s for the 12s. Stock the powe is fine. Plus if you really want get a h&s programmer. But like ou said knowing everything will get fixed free is awsome

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
DEF and no EFI is a deal killer for me. I can't see buying a new truck for your use unless your truck is trashed and you want a warranty.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I hesitate buying a used truck seeing how we all run ours. Even though people say it never had a programmer on it. It's hard to believe. U never know what your getting

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
DEF and no EFI is a deal killer for me. I can't see buying a new truck for your use unless your truck is trashed and you want a warranty.
Yeah those are the 2 main things that make me not want it. I should probably just run my truck over to utah and let Trent put head studs and a built trans in the 04 so I can turn my tune up. Still have a extended cab then though... Ah well I can just not listen when people complain about the smaller backseat. :thumb:

Camaroz2866

Feb 4, 2012
I'm 100% satisfied with my 12 Denali hd. It has a bunch of power... For now I don't see a reason to tune it.... Yes eventually I will but not needed..
And 4 doors is amazing when pulling little one in n out.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Open up your search, if you can find the right deal even 1,000 miles away its worth the $200 plain ticket and $400-500 in fuel. I wouldnt touch a LML, no EFI live, DEF, no real advantage over a LMM and you wouldnt be able to switch over your sweet 18's over to the LML.

Like most of us I've got the $750 EFI live programmer I'd rather not just have to pack away because I no longer have a truck I can tune, and I also happen to have a couple grand tied into wheels and tires I really like that I'm not about to have to buy all over again and not be able to use them on anything else I own.

I paid $41,000 for my 2008 nearly 2 years ago, when diesel truck prices were crazy and GM couldnt make any new duramaxes, it had 13,000 miles on it but I had to get on a plane and go 1,100 miles before I got it home. Just as pictured fully loaded SLT only options it didnt have were nav, sunroof, and running lights.

100_0867Large.jpg

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I wouldnt touch a LML, no EFI live, DEF, no real advantage over a LMM

Are you kidding me??????

Ok so you cant tune it with EFILive, big deal. If you're that hellbent on getting rid of the emissions and want to go faster, get an H&S tuner.

Honestly, daily driver, Id take a stock LML over a tuned LMM any day of the week. The huge-ass brakes, the chassis, cooled-seats options, new hard-drive nav unit, side-impact airbags, trailer sway control, stabilitrak (well 09-10 LMM short beds had stabilitrak as well), higher GVWR's, badass-looking (IMO) stock 20" rims, 36 gallon fuel tank even on the short beds, higher towing capacities, huge front axle rating increase, better front suspension, exhaust brake...

I dont know how anyone could tell me with a straight face that "theres no advantage over an LMM" :confused:

Last edited:

Amys2k11LML

Sep 27, 2011
Ft Myers Florida
Have a 2011, love it, never had one before, the suspension and turning radius and the power "stock" is what sold me, HOWEVER, remember for the price, you never ride in the back seat, and if the others in the backseat complain, maybe they should walk LOL
I do LOVE my truck and the warranty

Amys2k11LML

Sep 27, 2011
Ft Myers Florida
Are you kidding me??????

Ok so you cant tune it with EFILive, big deal. If you're that hellbent on getting rid of the emissions and want to go faster, get an H&S tuner.

Honestly, daily driver, Id take a stock LML over a tuned LMM any day of the week. The huge-ass brakes, the chassis, cooled-seats options, new hard-drive nav unit, side-impact airbags, trailer sway control, stabilitrak (well 09-10 LMM short beds had stabilitrak as well), higher GVWR's, badass-looking (IMO) stock 20" rims, 36 gallon fuel tank even on the short beds, higher towing capacities, huge front axle rating increase, better front suspension, exhaust brake...

I dont know how anyone could tell me with a straight face that "theres no advantage over an LMM" :confused:
And all that stuff