Question: Should I get a 2012?

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Bottom line, after driving the LML for a couple days I dont even want to rip around in my LBZ. This thing is amazing! The new wheels/tires made it even better. I would gladly pay more for the LML than an LMM. Even though I paid less for my LML than most paid for there LMM.

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
Bottom line, after driving the LML for a couple days I dont even want to rip around in my LBZ. This thing is amazing! The new wheels/tires made it even better. I would gladly pay more for the LML than an LMM. Even though I paid less for my LML than most paid for there LMM.
This is mostly the sort of post I was looking for. I have yet to read anyone say they would dump their LML and go back to an LLY or whatever they had before, even the guys freaking out about the regen cycles. Like 02dirtymax said, I'm not paying over 30 for a used truck with a ton of miles. Look at all the junk on ebay right now, tons of LMMs with 100k+ miles being bid over 30. Used diesel prices are still crazy. Pay that much may as well pay more and get a new one. I'm not going to get a 55k denali. I found several that I like that will be around 42 if I get it while the extra $2000 gm card thing is applicable. Same as what my LLY listed for actually, so not that bad I guess. I know I can't tune it with EFI and really don't care it has more power than my LLY anyway. If it turns out the DEF shit drives me nuts H&S is not far away. Or maybe eventually there will be a breakthrough on how to make it read for EFI, but sure doesn't sound like it from what Ross posted.

Just mostly wanted to be sure there weren't guys on here that wished they had their old truck back after getting the new one.

And in the town where I would trade if I leave the bumper on it some redneck will buy it in a week and throw an edge on it and blow it up the next week anyway, right after he smashes it into some stuff...

I would miss the wheels I just got, but I could sell them easily after swapping my mud tires for the stock crap tires on the stock 18s on the LML. Sure not trading it in with them on there, they can have some stock PYOs with bald ass 285s.

Amy is right though, I don't sit in the back what do I care? :D

Ben's list:
huge-ass brakes: Do want
the chassis: Do want
cooled-seats: I give no shit
new hard-drive nav unit: Don't care, likely change stereo out right away
side-impact airbags: I give no shit
trailer sway control: I give no shit
stabilitrak: I give no shit
higher GVWR's: Do want
badass-looking (IMO) stock 20" rims: I give no shit
36 gallon fuel tank: Do want
huge front axle: Do want
better front suspension: Do want
exhaust brake: Do want
:D

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Do what I did and buy a LBZ for 33k with 22k miles on it. :( ;):rofl:

My Dad just bought a 2012 Denali HD with the LML. It has 2000 miles on it and is already having issues. It's at the dealership right now getting a new DEF tank because one of the 3 heaters in the tank failed and apparently they can't just replace it. The truck has gone through 3 regens and used close to 5.5 (guestimate) gallons of DEF. I had him fill it up the day he brought it home. Couple days ago the countdown (100 miles till 65mph max came on) along with a check engine light. I put in another 2 gallons and went the rest of the morning fine, then same light came on again. Went to the dealer and then forced a regen and said everything was fine. Gets 5 miles down the roads and a check engine light again.

We've had a mild winter and the truck stays in a heated shop at night that is 60-65*

So now the truck has been at the dealership for 2 days now, and they had to air-freight a new DEF tank here from Michigan I believe.

DEF is an idiotic band-aid for emissions control. It's a terrible idea and complicates and makes everything more expensive, plus IT IS A PITA.

I will say the new frame is amazing and the LML has plenty of power in stock form. With 14-15k behind the truck you can't tell it is there. (T16 trailer, Bobcat with bucket, forks and an 84" compactor.) It tows amazing. There is a great feel from the brake pedal.

I chose a 2007 LBZ over an LMM because I hate the new body style. It's ugly, sheet metal is even thinner than the GMT-800. The rockers/doors make it really hard to clean. Everything in the interior (especially the denali) scratches easily. Really an overall style-less pickup IMO

Sure body lines are tighter and some say the interior is better (personal preference). There are literally Denali 2500hds running around everywhere around here.

I wouldn't get anything but a Denali if it were a GMT-900. Only truck that looks decent from the factory.

Granted GMT-800's aren't the best looking stock, a few simple mods make a huge difference.

What happens when these trucks get 100-150k on them and stupid little shit like a heater in the DEF tank goes and makes the truck throw codes and be all-around pissy? Sounds like a PITA to keep a truck reliable with all the little stupid things that can happen with the added emissions equipment, not to mention having to replace those pieces at a premium.

Just my .02

Edit: If they find a way to pull all emissions equipment all my gripes with the LML would be gone. I wouldn't put an H&S unless it was just to delete the emissions stuff on my truck but if EFILive decided to support it it would make me very happy to pull all that crap and add a small tune to it.

Last edited:

red1977

Nov 15, 2010
Ogden Utah
My boss just bought a 12 and has put 4,000 miles on it in the oil fields with no problems yet. I love it rides good plenty of power. When I get my promotion here soon you will see me in one.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I'm back in the LBZ as of yesterday. Missing the LML already!

To anyone that is going to buy one I strongly suggest you test drive at least 3 trucks before commiting. Out of the few we test drove 3 were dogs and the last one (the truck I purchased) ripped!

NAFLASH

Aug 22, 2010
Really? That's interesting. Chevy is screwing a lot of people with the new def crap by not filling the tanks completely. Ill stick with my LBZ :)

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I absolutly love my LML. Stock it is amazing. I wish you could tune it but ditch that tail pipe and its nice i only wish that it had a def guage. I had some problems early on with mine BUT the amazing thing about the warranty on my brand new truck was that while the dealership had it i got a free rental car. Every new Year the creat a truck starts off with problems they make fixes for them and they evolve. I love the comfort of my LML compared to my LBZ, and i absolutly loved my LBZ but i dont think now that i would trade it for the LBZ back

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Honestly My next truck will be a gasser. Diesel is too expensive and if you want a new truck you have to add urea which cost $ on top of the already expensive diesel fuel. I have never used my truck to its full cargo or towing capacity. Also the duramax is a $7195 dollar option.

The reason I bought a duramax is because you could get power out of them easy. Since then fuel has practically doubled you cant tune new trucks the option price of the duramax has went up and now you have to add urea which isn't free.

I could care less about all the stupid safety shit Ben mentioned I cant even stand TPMS. I shut off stabilltrack everytime I get in my wifes G8 so why do I want a truck with one

Not to mention the duramax is stupid expensive when it breaks even if you do the work yourself

Also anybody that says the new duramax is so powerful it doesn't need a tune can race me and see how that works out for you

There is no way I would drop 60k on a truck that still has cheap plastic parts in the interior and no HID headlights

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
I'm driving our lml for the time being till my half ton gets here. And it drives so much better than my lmm ever did. My lmm with a tune from josh h runs dead even with this lml. They are identical trucks with the exception of motors. I didn't tow much and if I do we always have something around I can do it with so I went with a gasser this time.

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
I'm back in the LBZ as of yesterday. Missing the LML already!

To anyone that is going to buy one I strongly suggest you test drive at least 3 trucks before commiting. Out of the few we test drove 3 were dogs and the last one (the truck I purchased) ripped!
Why back to the LBZ?

I'm sure you know you can make one on your LLY with EFI...
Yeah I could tune it that way easy enough, I was just going through his list to say that half what he mentioned makes no difference to me and half is stuff relevant to my interests. :D

I'm driving our lml for the time being till my half ton gets here. And it drives so much better than my lmm ever did. My lmm with a tune from josh h runs dead even with this lml. They are identical trucks with the exception of motors. I didn't tow much and if I do we always have something around I can do it with so I went with a gasser this time.
I tow constantly in the spring and fall. Plus the wind here is so bad any gas truck is in 3rd the entire time. So I can't see getting a gas truck but I see your point. How exactly does it drive better than the LMM did? The one I test drove felt different than my LLY or my brother's LMM, not sure I drove it enough to tell how. Mostly the suspension and frame flex I am thinking.

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
Suspension seems to be firmer but the whole truck seems to be tighter all the way around. My lmm never felt this way. Motor and tranny are very smooth as well

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Absolutely not kidding the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages to me.

Hard drive nav unit? Integrated nav units are great so that way they become rapidly outdated and overpriced for the functions vs aftermarket units anyways, you have to lock-pick them to even be able to use them. Higher GVWRs, towing capacites and front axle increases? So what, don't expect me to beleive you've ever come anyway near loading your truck anywehre near its capacity with a load. Bad ass looking wheels? If you like wheels with no offset and a stupid bolt pattern sure, I guess I could concede that, BMF makes a way better wheel without having to switch to 8 on 180.

The only thing that the LML has in my eys over the LMM is the bigger tank (which really doesnt matter all that much to me since my bladder range is less than that of my 26 gallon tank), the cooled seats which I could add to my truck if I really deemed necessary, and the bigger brakes but seeing as how I havent got into a situation where I deemed my brakes inadequate that again is moot.

I know you moonlight on "The big bang theory" so advanced air bag protection and other ghost features that keep you from hurting yourself are cool to you, but I'd rather have the ability to tune my truck and have commonality with my truck across the entire range of GMT-800 and 900 platforms. And considering your predictions of the reign of LML's with there superior fuel mileage over the LMM has been proven unfounded in the real world I couldnt be happier that I bought a LMM over the LML. The denali grille is pretty cool but for $179 I'll have my own soon, too.

BTW running out to Southern Utah and Western Wyoming from SE Wisconsin on my mule deer hunt this past fall yielded me 18-19 mpg hand calculated the whole way there and back with 305's and the topper loaded up with backpacking and hunting gear. I'm going to go out on the limb and say the LML couldnt touch that.

I completly Agree

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Your analyzing this to much your side impact air bags comment was so random and weird that's the only thing I could think of when I read that. Don't pick it apart so much that I think your some kind of dorky super Jewish nerd that can't talk to women and rides a moped around(even if a VW bug is nearly as bad, no matter how hopped up it is) I can barely take anything serious in life, forums aren't any different don't make it into something more than it was a light hearted ribbing.

Try and not :poke:Sheldon

:hmm: Hot girls Sheldon??? Ive seen pics that would say otherwise:spit:

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Why back to the LBZ?

Because I bought the LML for my wife... (insert sad face and long emotional sigh) Lol!

I get to drive it after work and on the weekends so its not too bad. Also, I work in a dirt yard and I get pretty dusty by the end of the day. Its hard to get in a brand new truck with red dust all over your boots and pant legs.

Will

Apr 30, 2008
Mt. Pleasant, IA
www.myspace.com
I'm in the same boat as you are Nar. Keep debating on looking for a crew cab although it would be an LMM. I keep looking at autotrader.com and prices are all over the place. I've seen a couple 2010 LTZ with under 20K miles with asking prices of close to 50K. Thats ridiculous! The truck new was that price and here it is 2 years later and they want the same thing for it:confused:

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Towing in windy areas the entire truck(LML) feels more stable. Definatly does have way more comfortable seats compared to my lbz

HDdave

Nov 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Picture yourself saying this... "SHit I forgot to fill up my exhaust fluid!" You don't want a 2012. At least I dont. Theyre awesome, but no EFI is a huge deal breaker for me.:)