Question: Should I get a 2012?

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
You know thT was my main worry but I just keep a extra gallon in my tool box. Besides. On my last trip back home to Texas from Cali I saw a lot of truck stops that advertised urea fill ups like a gas pump

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
I think the bigger issue here is the EC to the CC thing. If the OP doesn't care for the EC and wants the CC, he should buy new. The used truck prices will work to his advantage. If he sticks with an EC then he should probably keep what he has. Moving up from an EC to a CC was the best decision I made and I'm glad I'm in an LBZ. I'm glad I got it over an LMM because I totally hate my wife's 07 Denali. Total junk. Then again, apples to oranges...

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Picture yourself saying this... "SHit I forgot to fill up my exhaust fluid!"

what happens when you run out of fuel?

A tank of DEF lasts thousands of miles. Nobody seems to have trouble keeping their diesel tank filled. Why should a DEF tank be any different. Its commonplace enough that you can find DEF almost anywhere diesel is sold.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
what happens when you run out of fuel?

A tank of DEF lasts thousands of miles. Nobody seems to have trouble keeping their diesel tank filled. Why should a DEF tank be any different. Its commonplace enough that you can find DEF almost anywhere diesel is sold.

It's just another annoying thing to have to do. It makes diesels less desirable and people already complain about "higher maintenance costs.

My Dad's LML went through 5 or so gallons of DEF in the 2000 miles that are on it.

DEF is annoying, Regens are annoying. It's a band aid to emissions and will end up costing a lot more when parts have to replaced... I don't think you can argue that. :confused:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
It's just another annoying thing to have to do. It makes diesels less desirable and people already complain about "higher maintenance costs.

its $15 every 3,000 miles or so.... People pay $8,000 for the duramax option, and then complain about an extra $15 every couple thousand miles?

(if you are paying more than $15 or so to refill the DEF tank, you're getting ripped off)

HDdave

Nov 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC

My Dad's LML went through 5 or so gallons of DEF in the 2000 miles that are on it.

DEF is annoying, Regens are annoying. It's a band aid to emissions and will end up costing a lot more when parts have to replaced... I don't think you can argue that. :confused:

I'm with you... Its annoying and I don't want to have to deal with it. I mean really.. Exhaust fluid? I used to joke about headlight fluid and muffler bearings but now shits getting real. Granted I would just rip all that junk off anyways, but then you lose warranty and its expensive to do anyways.. If you want a CC, maybe look into picking up an lmm, then you can still get a good tune on it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
any heavy duty truck center. $3/gallon is generally the going rate if you DONT buy it at some ripoff place that only moves 2 gallons a month of the stuff. (ie, a local auto parts store)

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
any heavy duty truck center. $3/gallon is generally the going rate if you DONT buy it at some ripoff place that only moves 2 gallons a month of the stuff. (ie, a local auto parts store)

I'm gonna have to start that then I was gettig it from a dealer. Thanks for the tip

Dec 2, 2006
TN
I've always bought mine from the parts store also. So far, no DEF problems for me. I had a sensor in the DPF go bad, my only issue so far.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mine uses a gallon every 2K miles. The only problem I had was a temp sensor in the urea tank and had the tank replaced by Robert ( RKT ).

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
My LML has about 20k on it and I havn't had any problems as of yet. The def really isn't a big deal at all, I just put a jug in when the warning comes on. It gives you plenty of time to do so.

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
We got 25 thousand on one of ours and I'm going to say around 40 thousand on one of the others. No problems at all on either.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
I am completely happy with my LML. I have not calculated the whole life on fuel so far, but I would say its probably on par with my LB7. highway is better and the city is worse, so on average about the same. Keeping the urea full is not an issue at all. Chassis and power are awesome. I do miss the LB7 when I want mega power, but the LML has all you need for any job. Matter of fact my wife and I took it on a 2000 mile trip instead of the 2010 Camry SE v6, and averaged 20mpg running 70-80mph

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
And to go even one step further, if I were to buy an LML, Id slap a set of LBZ/LMM heads on it and plug in an LMM wiring harness/ECM (yes, it plugs right in). Boom. Theres your "EFILive tunable LML". :)

Have you tested this? Or know someone that has? I was wondering if that was something that was possible to do

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
I'm back in the LBZ as of yesterday. Missing the LML already!

To anyone that is going to buy one I strongly suggest you test drive at least 3 trucks before commiting. Out of the few we test drove 3 were dogs and the last one (the truck I purchased) ripped!
I hope I test drove enough, I only drove the 2 I liked and they both seemed like they would kick the crap out of my LLY. Ran them both up to the limiter and they seemed way snappier on the top end, but my LLY tune doesn't run a ton of fuel on top either.

I wish the GM card thing would come in the mail tomorrow with $2000 off again...

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Mine pulls real hard on the top end with the Quadzilla 80hp tune. 6th gear is a lot of fun at 120+!

Just do it, you'll love it!

Will

Apr 30, 2008
Mt. Pleasant, IA
www.myspace.com
Just throwing this out there but a friend of mine just bought a 2012 CC DMax LT a week ago for 42500. They said that they needed to move the trucks and knocked 8K off the price! I've been looking for used LMM LTZs and am having a hard time finding those for that price.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I got mine for around $45k. But it was right when the 2012's came out. Same price I paid for my LBZ back in 06. $55k+ is a lot to pay for a truck. But damn they are nice!