Question: Should I get a 2012?

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I'd take a lml Denali! I've driven one and I liked it! But I wouldn't get rid of my lbz either. Next truck I buy is going to be a Denali for pimpin purposes or another lbz for pimpin purposes as well;)

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Are you kidding me??????

Ok so you cant tune it with EFILive, big deal. If you're that hellbent on getting rid of the emissions and want to go faster, get an H&S tuner.

Honestly, daily driver, Id take a stock LML over a tuned LMM any day of the week. The huge-ass brakes, the chassis, cooled-seats options, new hard-drive nav unit, side-impact airbags, trailer sway control, stabilitrak (well 09-10 LMM short beds had stabilitrak as well), higher GVWR's, badass-looking (IMO) stock 20" rims, 36 gallon fuel tank even on the short beds, higher towing capacities, huge front axle rating increase, better front suspension, exhaust brake...

I dont know how anyone could tell me with a straight face that "theres no advantage over an LMM" :confused:

Absolutely not kidding the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages to me.

Hard drive nav unit? Integrated nav units are great so that way they become rapidly outdated and overpriced for the functions vs aftermarket units anyways, you have to lock-pick them to even be able to use them. Higher GVWRs, towing capacites and front axle increases? So what, don't expect me to beleive you've ever come anyway near loading your truck anywehre near its capacity with a load. Bad ass looking wheels? If you like wheels with no offset and a stupid bolt pattern sure, I guess I could concede that, BMF makes a way better wheel without having to switch to 8 on 180.

The only thing that the LML has in my eys over the LMM is the bigger tank (which really doesnt matter all that much to me since my bladder range is less than that of my 26 gallon tank), the cooled seats which I could add to my truck if I really deemed necessary, and the bigger brakes but seeing as how I havent got into a situation where I deemed my brakes inadequate that again is moot.

I know you moonlight on "The big bang theory" so advanced air bag protection and other ghost features that keep you from hurting yourself are cool to you, but I'd rather have the ability to tune my truck and have commonality with my truck across the entire range of GMT-800 and 900 platforms. And considering your predictions of the reign of LML's with there superior fuel mileage over the LMM has been proven unfounded in the real world I couldnt be happier that I bought a LMM over the LML. The denali grille is pretty cool but for $179 I'll have my own soon, too.

BTW running out to Southern Utah and Western Wyoming from SE Wisconsin on my mule deer hunt this past fall yielded me 18-19 mpg hand calculated the whole way there and back with 305's and the topper loaded up with backpacking and hunting gear. I'm going to go out on the limb and say the LML couldnt touch that.

Dec 2, 2006
TN
Absolutely not kidding the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages to me.

Hard drive nav unit? Integrated nav units are great so that way they become rapidly outdated and overpriced for the functions vs aftermarket units anyways, you have to lock-pick them to even be able to use them. Higher GVWRs, towing capacites and front axle increases? So what, don't expect me to beleive you've ever come anyway near loading your truck anywehre near its capacity with a load. Bad ass looking wheels? If you like wheels with no offset and a stupid bolt pattern sure, I guess I could concede that, BMF makes a way better wheel without having to switch to 8 on 180.

The only thing that the LML has in my eys over the LMM is the bigger tank (which really doesnt matter all that much to me since my bladder range is less than that of my 26 gallon tank), the cooled seats which I could add to my truck if I really deemed necessary, and the bigger brakes but seeing as how I havent got into a situation where I deemed my brakes inadequate that again is moot.

I know you moonlight on "The big bang theory" so advanced air bag protection and other ghost features that keep you from hurting yourself are cool to you, but I'd rather have the ability to tune my truck and have commonality with my truck across the entire range of GMT-800 and 900 platforms. And considering your predictions of the reign of LML's with there superior fuel mileage over the LMM has been proven unfounded in the real world I couldnt be happier that I bought a LMM over the LML. The denali grille is pretty cool but for $179 I'll have my own soon, too.

BTW running out to Southern Utah and Western Wyoming from SE Wisconsin on my mule deer hunt this past fall yielded me 18-19 mpg hand calculated the whole way there and back with 305's and the topper loaded up with backpacking and hunting gear. I'm going to go out on the limb and say the LML couldnt touch that.

:roflmao:

02dirtymax

Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
I've been thinking hard about getting a new truck. I'm too far deep in mods on my truck now to sell it without losing my butt or going through all the hassle of stripping it. Plus, I bought it new and it still puts a smile on my face.

The 3 car-seats in the back of my extended cab suck, but oh well..... it works (and it pulls the 5th wheel fast so we can have more time camping instead of getting there!) I have owned 2 crew cabs I bought cheap for tow rigs when I was sled pulling, and the crew cab was much nicer. They both had about 130K on them when I bought them. Had to do headgaskets on one. I've been keeping my eye out for a 07.5-10, but the prices are outrageous and I'm not paying over 30K for a used truck. If you are paying cash a used one might be better than new, but with the financing rates and slight price difference, why not go new? I want a brand new one, but I would have to sell my truck now and I just can't make myself do it, so I'm holding out until I can afford a new one.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I know you moonlight on "The big bang theory"

ok can someone please take the time to explain this reference and what it has to do with me? I have never seen that show and after wikipedia'ing what its about, it looks completely stupid and I have absolutely zero desire to even watch 5 minutes of it.

If no one is going to explain it to me in detail, and the only thing people want to do is snicker and keep making side references without explaining in detail what it has to do with me, then can it and stop comparing me to it (or some character in the show) :rolleyes:

And yes, IMO the LML still is far superior to the LMM. The LMM is nothing more than an LBZ with new sheet metal. Big deal. If you guys are so infatuated with your LMM's just because you can tune them, you could easily save a couple grand and just buy an LBZ.

And to go even one step further, if I were to buy an LML, Id slap a set of LBZ/LMM heads on it and plug in an LMM wiring harness/ECM (yes, it plugs right in). Boom. Theres your "EFILive tunable LML". :)

Last edited:

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
Hell yes ^^

IMO, GM kinda failed with the LMM's. The LMM's SHOULD have been what the LML's turned out to be.

Don't get me wrong the LMM's are awesome but the LML's, as Ben has throughly mentioned, far exceed the LMM's in just about every possible way.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
And to go even one step further, if I were to buy an LML, Id slap a set of LBZ/LMM heads on it and plug in an LMM wiring harness/ECM (yes, it plugs right in). Boom. Theres your "EFILive tunable LML". :)[/QUOTE]

How much would that run extra to accomplish

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX0FXhWicEI

Ben, I don't know you at all, except by your posts here. As a fan of The Big Bang Theory I think people make the comparison due to your intelligence on the workings of our trucks, and your no nonsense approach to it at times.

ok Ill be honest, I only gave that video about 0:25 of my time...got bored after it cut away from the cute blonde, no offense. Ill stick to Modern Family and Home Improvement....

Im still not sure why everyone automatically thinks I act like that (like that big bang theory dude in that video clip who talks like he has a wiener shoved up his nose and apparently has no clue how to act around girls) in real life, JUST because Im knowledgeable about trucks?

And now the thread is derailed...I apologize about that. I still prefer the LML's. :D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
And to go even one step further, if I were to buy an LML, Id slap a set of LBZ/LMM heads on it and plug in an LMM wiring harness/ECM (yes, it plugs right in). Boom. Theres your "EFILive tunable LML". :)

How much would that run extra to accomplish[/QUOTE]

Depends if you can get the parts used. If you find some good deals on used parts on the forums and go to some junk yards, less than $1k in parts IMO.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
ok Ill be honest, I only gave that video about 0:25 of my time...got bored after it cut away from the cute blonde, no offense. Ill stick to Modern Family and Home Improvement....

Im still not sure why everyone automatically thinks I act like that (like that big bang theory dude in that video clip who talks like he has a wiener shoved up his nose and apparently has no clue how to act around girls) in real life, JUST because Im knowledgeable about trucks?

And now the thread is derailed...I apologize about that. I still prefer the LML's. :D

The cute blonde is why I started watching the show in the first place. :D I think it is one of those shows, like The Office, that you have to watch from the beginning to learn the characters.

Home Improvement was a good show. Modern Family is on the DVR too.

I watch too much TV this time of year.

Back on topic, I'd take an LMM or an LML.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
How much would that run extra to accomplish

Depends if you can get the parts used. If you find some good deals on used parts on the forums and go to some junk yards, less than $1k in parts IMO.[/QUOTE]

I have a good set of LBZ heads sittin on my mock up motor. Injectors and ecm are all I need!

To the op, "YES" you should get an LML! I got a smokin deal on a brand new 2011. Saved about $11 grand off sticker. Best truck I have ever been in.

My LML stock will walk on a PPE level 4 can tuned LLY with an intake, AFE MP, dp and exhaust. Not even a race.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
ok can someone please take the time to explain this reference and what it has to do with me? I have never seen that show and after wikipedia'ing what its about, it looks completely stupid and I have absolutely zero desire to even watch 5 minutes of it.

The refrence came up because your kind of geek Ben, no offense your super smart but the things that are a big deal to you just seem so odd to me. If you'd oblige me and watch this clip from 1:30-1:42 it'd probably make alot more sense and all tie in then. I have nothing but the utmost respect for your attention to detail and discipline but I think you, need to go tie one on buddy and let loose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eN3A-QJbnU&feature=related

For what its worth I've only seen the big bang theory a handful of times so it was more of a literal observation than anything else.

TwoTone

Mmm tits
Apr 30, 2008
As the brother to the OP: **** yes you should get a new truck. Crew Cab mmmm

Big Bang Theory is the worst show on TV :thumb:

weistie

Jan 29, 2012
Joplin, Mo
i'd wait and see what all recall happens on this newest diesel exhaust fluid epa crap. Yeah I know its under warranty but i'd hate to drop 50k + to let it collect dust in dealerships shop. Dad works on bigrigs and says theres a reason catapillar quit making engines for highway use in america ! food for thought.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
puhh I think you need to meet me in person before you make dumb snap judgments about what I "might be like in real life" versus what Im like online. :rolleyes:

I told myself I wouldnt derail this thread anymore, but this comment frustrated me a bit.

No, it doesnt make more sense. You are mistaken if you think 1:30-1:42 is what im like at parties and at school. Not sure what I can do to get you (or anyone else who doesnt understand why I act the way I do online vs the way I act in person) to believe that "in real life", I think people generally think of me as a fun person.......hot sorority girls would never put up with you taking up half of their house's driveway space with your big loud black crew cab dmax if they thought you were a nerd who wasnt a fun person, ill tell you that much right now.........!

Shop talk stays in the shop, forum talk stays on the forum, ive never made my facebook profile picture a picture of my truck, I dont ever explain things technically in person to someone unless they keep asking specific questions, given the choice of bar/club or shop/truck time on a friday night you can bet its not going to be shop-time, I could go on. I dont live/breathe/sleep trucks like you think I do. I guarantee at least half the people on this forum are more "into" trucks than I am. Im "into" what makes me good money, and im "into" helping other people better their own trucks. MY engine is stock, my tune is stock (slightly bigger injectors though), my turbo is stock, my speed limiter is set at 95mph, and I havent been to the track or made my truck go "fast" in over 5 years.

Scheids was a freakin blast last year, are you going this year? we'll all have to party and have a beer or 12 so maybe you'll believe me?

Your analyzing this to much your side impact air bags comment was so random and weird that's the only thing I could think of when I read that. Don't pick it apart so much that I think your some kind of dorky super Jewish nerd that can't talk to women and rides a moped around(even if a VW bug is nearly as bad, no matter how hopped up it is) I can barely take anything serious in life, forums aren't any different don't make it into something more than it was a light hearted ribbing.