Proper fluid in the Allison

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Still can't find any Citgo... check some local places that carry Citgo brand and they don't have Qutrasyn (can't get it)... :mad: :(

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There are some new fluids out there that I have not seen or tested. If it is a big name you will not go wrong. Remember that any TES 295 fluid IS Dex 3. The only difference is that it is synthetic and lubrcates better and handles heat better. What we don't know is the coefficient of the fluid used with the Alto clutches. ( How it bites and releases )

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I was told (by the main guy at our Pennzoil/Shell distributor) Shell had applied for the certification for their TX. I'll have to see some paperwork before I believe him at all but he did tell me they resell the BP oil so I'm using that in my ton.

I believe the testing lasts 5 years and the oil company has to supply unlimited atf for testing and pay for that testing. ( 250K plus )

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
just passed 40k miles on my trans with transynd and a bunch of filter changes. I want to drop my pan replace the internal filter and fill with Dex 3.

I havent had any issues with my SC3 with transynd, but is dex 3 fine then?
Mike what do you think? I dont mind paying for transynd, but if dex 3 is cheaper and works better then I'll use it. ;)

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
Sounds like the Dex 3 is the way to go and the way I read Mikes threads as long as you get TES 295 approved fluid it is basically Synthetic Dex 3 correct?

403turbo

<--It's whats for dinner!
Aug 3, 2009
DPRNY
The valvoline max life isn't TES295 approved. Valvoline just put the letters on the bottle and said it was basically similar. Allison did not issue an approval. That being said I used it, it was cheap, available and I intend to simply change my fluid every 30K vs trying to get one fluid to run extended drains. My truck is not raced or pulled so that is a big factor. 12k miles later it runs like a swiss watch.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
From what I've been reading, quatrosyn is the top recommended fluid to use in a trans. I've found a place that has the citgo quatrosyn so that is what I'm going to use for my trans flush but what is the additive that is recommended?

I'm going to be needing it in the next couple of weeks and would really like to include this in. Any help would be appreciated:thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
ok, information overload. got a gmax kit comin, what would Mike L put in it? gimme your top three picks (in order). maybe this will clear up some confusion. thanks mike

I would want the best lubrication possible with the Gmax because the clutches have no oil slots. Not sold on any of the synthetics for racing except Qautrasyn because McRat melted two converters on the staging lanes and killed both converters to the point you could not stand the smell. Never hurt the trans either time. Trans shifted like a 45 auto. My second choice would be Mobil 1 Dex 3. Don't think they make it anymore. Can't say how good the Mobil 1 Dex 6 is yet.
There may be some great fluids out there but I have not had experience with them. Fluid can make or break a trans. You want a fluid that will lock the clutches instanly with minimal slippage and release even quicker with the Allison.

flyinelvis11

May 11, 2010
VG, IL (because my wife does)
thank you mike. i'm not planning on racing very much (like three times last year) but i would like to run a big tune on occation. so you are saying a synthetic is cool for me, then (i was gonna go with amsoil but maybe not now)? oh and i'm gonna call you next week about a new C3 oiler, too.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
thank you mike. i'm not planning on racing very much (like three times last year) but i would like to run a big tune on occation. so you are saying a synthetic is cool for me, then (i was gonna go with amsoil but maybe not now)? oh and i'm gonna call you next week about a new C3 oiler, too.

i run Dex III in my transmission and it runs great

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I ran TRANSYND in mine, and after the 16K mile teardown I don't think I'll ever run it again. ALL of the kolene steels showed quite a bit of wear on them, but the clutches look fine. The C2's had quite a bit of wear on the clutches, but the stock steels looked fine. The C1's were perfect though, just like they were when I installed them. This trans never seen big power ever, and was never raced or gone over 200 degrees.