Proper fluid in the Allison

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I just found 1 5 gallon pale of QUATRASYN locally, and surprisingly it isn't priced that bad. $24 a gallon, but it only comes in a 5 gallon bucket he said. So it isn't that much more than regular DEX/MERC fluid which is about $19 a gallon at WAL-MART. And all GM vehicles from 06+ have had DEX VI in them from the factory.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I just found 1 5 gallon pale of QUATRASYN locally, and surprisingly it isn't priced that bad. $24 a gallon, but it only comes in a 5 gallon bucket he said. So it isn't that much more than regular DEX/MERC fluid which is about $19 a gallon at WAL-MART. And all GM vehicles from 06+ have had DEX VI in them from the factory.

Are you going to snag that 5 gallon pale??

MaxPF

JAFAWAM
Jan 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Any one have experience with the Synthetic Redline D4?

No idea on how it would work in a built Ally, but it, or Redline MTL, would probably be far superior to the commonly used synthetic 5W-30 in the transfer case. Redline uses POE base stock which can take far more heat than the commonly used group III and PAO base stocks used in most synthetic motor oils. If you want to compare, look at the NOACK evaporation tests results. It's good stuff :D

FWIW, I have been running MTL in my 241 behind the Cummins for a couple years now. It still looks as good as the day I poured it in.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
It was mentioned earlier that Dex VI was junk. But I got over 200 000km on mine with just regular filters and one oil change at a 450-500hp tune, trans-go and an ATS converter. Never figured the trans would outlast the engine lol!! Running Mobil 1 Dex VI.

No idea what to run after I get the trans built. I have a pail of transynd sitting in my garage but not sure if it is any good to run in the 6 speeds-I have heard mixed reviews.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I've had really good luck with quatrasyn. It's been in for about three years and 60,000 miles and is still nice and red when I change the spin on.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
What's that run? Transynd is very highf

It's been a while since I bought it but I think it was around 10.00 a gallon cheaper than transynd. I had to buy it in bulk as it only came in 1 gallon jug, 12 gallon or 55 gallon drum. I bought the little barrel and split it with another guy.