Proper fluid in the Allison

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
I ran TRANSYND in mine, and after the 16K mile teardown I don't think I'll ever run it again. ALL of the kolene steels showed quite a bit of wear on them, but the clutches look fine. The C2's had quite a bit of wear on the clutches, but the stock steels looked fine. The C1's were perfect though, just like they were when I installed them. This trans never seen big power ever, and was never raced or gone over 200 degrees.

Why did you have to tear it down with only 16k miles?

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I'm pretty sure you can get it from MikeL. It only comes in 5 gallon buckets or a 16 gallon drum. I bought a drum and split it with another guy. Let me know if Mike can't get it for you and I'll let you know where I got mine. They can even ship it but it and the shipping aren't cheap.

09blackcrewmax

Truckless. . . .
Aug 2, 2010
OH
What kind of fluid comes from the factory in the Allison? I have a 2009, stock, it just passed 10,000 miles, so I went to the local Allison Dealer to get a couple spin-on filters and some fluid. I asked the guy there and he thought in an '09 it came with Transynd, so I bought some. So is there anyway I can tell what is actually in there, and would it hurt anything if I fill my new spin-on with Transynd if that it not what is really in my trans?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
What kind of fluid comes from the factory in the Allison? I have a 2009, stock, it just passed 10,000 miles, so I went to the local Allison Dealer to get a couple spin-on filters and some fluid. I asked the guy there and he thought in an '09 it came with Transynd, so I bought some. So is there anyway I can tell what is actually in there, and would it hurt anything if I fill my new spin-on with Transynd if that it not what is really in my trans?

Your Alli came with Dex 6 from the factory.

09blackcrewmax

Truckless. . . .
Aug 2, 2010
OH
Thank you Mike, so would mixing Dex 6 and Transynd be a bad thing ? Should I just shelf my Transynd and go buy some Dex 6 to use when I change my spin-on and then maybe switch to Transynd when I (hopefully soon) put a Transgo Jr. kit in ? I appreciate your input/help :)

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Thank you Mike, so would mixing Dex 6 and Transynd be a bad thing ? Should I just shelf my Transynd and go buy some Dex 6 to use when I change my spin-on and then maybe switch to Transynd when I (hopefully soon) put a Transgo Jr. kit in ? I appreciate your input/help :)
Yes.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I've been running Castrol Dex6 synthetic blend with (OMG!!!) Lucas trans additive. I have 130,000 on my stock trans with a Transgo kit. I have tried to kill this trans since I bought the truck in 06. Despite my efforts its still holding strong even with a non defuel tune. I also run this fluid and additive in 2 other trucks with PPE Stage V trans. One is my dad's truck that tows a 18,000lb trailer all over the US. I have not had any issues with this combo and the fluid always looks good at change intervals. I'm not saying this to disagree with you Mike, just letting you know my experience.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MaxPF

JAFAWAM
Jan 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Hey Mike, any reason NOT to run Transynd in a freshly built 4L80E? If it matters, the clutches are BW High Energy...

For my low mile Allison I had just planned on using a syringe to suck the last dregs of fluid out of the TC (the rest of the trans is bone dry) and refilling with Transynd. Why is it a bad idea to use Transynd in a trans that had previously run Dex 6?

Diesel addiction

Jun 21, 2008
Britich Columbia
heres my situation, my buddy had his trans rebuilt by a local tranny shop with TCS tripple disk Alto clutches etc. its a 5 spd alli and tranny shop put dex 6 in it. few months later he totaled his truck and ive acquired his trans with about 10,000miles on it. now do i need to flush the dex 6 out or just refill with DEX 3 equivilent?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Reviving an old thread here, but what about synthetics that work well in a built ALLISON? I ran TRANSYND when I first built my trans, but switched over to CASTROL DEX/MERC fluid and I get better crisper shifts but my trans temps run a good bit higher even with a larger trans cooler. Are there any synthetics out there that have the bite of a DEX 3 type fluid, but with the lower temps of the TRANSYND fluid? I seen that AMSOIL now makes a DEX/MERC synthetic fluid, and was wondering about it. I know AMSOIL isn't high up on many peopels lists, but would like to lower my trans temps down somewhat closer to what i used to get with TRANSYND.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Reviving an old thread here, but what about synthetics that work well in a built ALLISON? I ran TRANSYND when I first built my trans, but switched over to CASTROL DEX/MERC fluid and I get better crisper shifts but my trans temps run a good bit higher even with a larger trans cooler. Are there any synthetics out there that have the bite of a DEX 3 type fluid, but with the lower temps of the TRANSYND fluid? I seen that AMSOIL now makes a DEX/MERC synthetic fluid, and was wondering about it. I know AMSOIL isn't high up on many peopels lists, but would like to lower my trans temps down somewhat closer to what i used to get with TRANSYND.

From what Mike said, Citgo Quatrasyn is the best of both worlds. Quick clutch engagement/disengagement and all the benefits of synthetic fluid. But it's hard to find!

Other fluids to consider:

Mobil1 Delvac synthetic
Schaeffers All-trans supreme

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I have always read good things with Redline in general. I use it in my car (engine, and diff's). I have no experience with their ATF, and I couldn't find anything on anyone using it in an Allison.

Another oil along those lines that I have had good experience with in my 6 speed manual in my car is Motul. Read great things as well... they have an ATF, but again, no experience and no info on it and an Allison.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
From what Mike said, Citgo Quatrasyn is the best of both worlds. Quick clutch engagement/disengagement and all the benefits of synthetic fluid. But it's hard to find!

Other fluids to consider:

Mobil1 Delvac synthetic
Schaeffers All-trans supreme

Hard to find is an understatement. It's odd though as it is a TES-295 fluid like TRANSYND.

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/C10148.pdf

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
heres my situation, my buddy had his trans rebuilt by a local tranny shop with TCS tripple disk Alto clutches etc. its a 5 spd alli and tranny shop put dex 6 in it. few months later he totaled his truck and ive acquired his trans with about 10,000miles on it. now do i need to flush the dex 6 out or just refill with DEX 3 equivilent?

I am kinda in the same situation and was wondering the best way to transition from dex 6 to dex 3 .

'03duramax

I love cheer******s
Sep 16, 2006
WA
Anyone know what the '07 old body style came with? I got a TransGo Jr for the wife's truck, and figure that if it's Dex 6 I'll replace it with with some Transynd, but if it's Dex 3 or Transynd I won't bother flushing it all.