Progress on the new puller

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Yall might already know this but there will be some metal shavings in the first oil filter. Its just all the stuff that doesnt get washed out during cleaning after all the machining is done.

I hope yall get it figured out

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Yall might already know this but there will be some metal shavings in the first oil filter. Its just all the stuff that doesnt get washed out during cleaning after all the machining is done.

I hope yall get it figured out

Actually we had run it a few times and pulled the screen and cleaned the filter. It got better each time until it was perfect. We found aluminum shavings (upon closer inspection tonight they look like where something had been tapped - doesn't look like piston). We think it may have been from where we tapped the water pump block off plate and it didn't show its face until the oil pressure surged under a load when Tony launched it in the field??? Don't know for sure. What we do know is we had a hung injector that we just finished pulling. We pulled the glow plugs and injector power and cranked the truck and the cylinder that has been giving us fits was still squirting fuel.:mad: We're going to put another one in that we have and give it one more shot. Don't count us out yet!

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Actually we had run it a few times and pulled the screen and cleaned the filter. It got better each time until it was perfect. We found aluminum shavings (upon closer inspection tonight they look like where something had been tapped - doesn't look like piston). We think it may have been from where we tapped the water pump block off plate and it didn't show its face until the oil pressure surged under a load when Tony launched it in the field??? Don't know for sure. What we do know is we had a hung injector that we just finished pulling. We pulled the glow plugs and injector power and cranked the truck and the cylinder that has been giving us fits was still squirting fuel.:mad: We're going to put another one in that we have and give it one more shot. Don't count us out yet!

Good ole LB7 injector R&R huh! Hate doin it but prolly not to bad on your puller! ;)

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Good ole LB7 injector R&R huh! Hate doin it but prolly not to bad on your puller! ;)

Wasn't terrible - had the injector out in about an hour. No turbo in the valley and no emissions BS is nice.:D We have even changed the regulator on the CP3 in the valley pretty easily once already. One of the best decisions we made IMO.

dieseldave01

supertrucker
Jun 3, 2008
Oxford OH
Actually we had run it a few times and pulled the screen and cleaned the filter. It got better each time until it was perfect. We found aluminum shavings (upon closer inspection tonight they look like where something had been tapped - doesn't look like piston).

hope this is the case, good luck

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Wasn't terrible - had the injector out in about an hour. No turbo in the valley and no emissions BS is nice.:D We have even changed the regulator on the CP3 in the valley pretty easily once already. One of the best decisions we made IMO.

I'm envyous!!!

You oughta see the storm cloud of choice words that brews up when i find that i have to pull that bastage apart for an injector!

***At night, I dream of the LB-X;)*** (LLY headed LB7)

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Some good news on the puller. We swapped the injector (thanks Johnboy for the tip on how to check for a hung injector). Now she idles much better and we are not seeing any issues with oil in the header flange or fuel in the oil. We cleaned the filter again and found NO shavings.:) Good oil pressure. I'm assuming we were washing down that cylinder and the rings were not seated.

We actually hooked it twice last night in Richmond, IN. Only went about 200 ft. Never really lit the charger or got any RPMs. We had a rail pressure issue which really pisses us off because we've been battling too high rail pressure from day one until it hooks to a sled and then we get 12k:mad:. Need to look over the log and see if I did something to the tune first and then start from there. Converter is very tight when trying to boost it up.

Thanks for all the help and support.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Some good news on the puller. We swapped the injector (thanks Johnboy for the tip on how to check for a hung injector). Now she idles much better and we are not seeing any issues with oil in the header flange or fuel in the oil. We cleaned the filter again and found NO shavings.:) Good oil pressure. I'm assuming we were washing down that cylinder and the rings were not seated.

We actually hooked it twice last night in Richmond, IN. Only went about 200 ft. Never really lit the charger or got any RPMs. We had a rail pressure issue which really pisses us off because we've been battling too high rail pressure from day one until it hooks to a sled and then we get 12k:mad:. Need to look over the log and see if I did something to the tune first and then start from there. Converter is very tight when trying to boost it up.

Thanks for all the help and support.

Im so glad it wasnt piston material as im sure all of us. Tuning will all get worked out, again glad that the beast is OK!

ruffmanatv

Yeah, its got a D-Max!
May 9, 2008
Van Wert, OH
Well good to hear that you got it figured out. Now you just gotta get the bugs worked out on the tune. Good luck and I wanna know where it will be at next.:D

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

:rockon: I so wish i would of done that too

how come the tap in the water pump? relocate turbo feed?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I have to just say that this is probably my favorite truck at the moment. You guys have done a kickass job. I hope to build a truck with my brother like this someday.