Progress on the new puller

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
pulled the valve covers and started it without the them and it runs fine. one of the injector harnesses was ohming out wrong, it must have been pinched in the cover. we are getting a new harness just in case. it will be back together tomorrow or sat am. then we will know if we have good rail pressure.

Glad you found something wrong,I really hope for your guys sake that was the total issues

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
I just found this. Looks good guys. Nothing like a project with brothers. Mine is 18 and I'm 24 and we've been on one for 2yrs :eek:. Needs finished so we can pull it apart and put in a D-Max or so Ed says :rofl:.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Truck is running pretty well but we keep breaking front end parts. Tried to pull Friday and broke a CV on the line. Pulled it out and tried 3 legging down the track and couldn't light the charger. We swapped housings tonight to a more friendly auto setup and put in two new CVs. Hooked to a truck and trailer and tried to build boost - popped both new CVs :confused::mad:???

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Glad its runnig but sucks to hear about the cv's. Whats the trouble, is the front end to low or something maybe?

Good luck ED
Caleb

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Glad its runnig but sucks to hear about the cv's. Whats the trouble, is the front end to low or something maybe?

Good luck ED
Caleb

I thought the same. I actually turned it up a few turns this last hook and it still popped. It broke the clutch sleeve that engagees 4wd in our driveway last week. I don;t have any crazy torque mgmt settings in the tune either.

ruffmanatv

Yeah, its got a D-Max!
May 9, 2008
Van Wert, OH
Truck is running pretty well but we keep breaking front end parts. Tried to pull Friday and broke a CV on the line. Pulled it out and tried 3 legging down the track and couldn't light the charger.

It was sad to see.:( And I know you and Tony were pissed. Hope you guys get it figured out. Good luck.;)

Bobo

Aug 27, 2006
Are they aftermarket CV's or GM?

I had a lot of trouble with the NAPA ones this year on a stock LBZ with a lift and changed them out the factory GM ones. They have not broke since the change.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
That's crazy that you all are tearing up the front end THAT bad. I could see every once in a while but not every hook. At least you know it's probably making good power now like it's supposed to. You all will get it all lined out this year and be ready to run it strong next year! The hurdles are getting shorter. ;) Keep it up guys! I admire you for your ambition and different approach.

C-ya

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Are they aftermarket CV's or GM?

I had a lot of trouble with the NAPA ones this year on a stock LBZ with a lift and changed them out the factory GM ones. They have not broke since the change.

Both, we broke a stocker on the sled Friday before it moved. Got the sled going in 3wd and wouldn't light. Decided to buy two new CVs from Advanced and put them in. Hooked to a truck/trailer to provide resistance and immediately broke one cleanly and then the other with very little boost. The truck hadn't even moved on any of these breaks.

We're down a little on power now I'm sure since we're downsizing the turbo and we went back to stock sticks (for now - wanted to ensure we fixed the fuel problem). Probably swap them back this winter.

It's on a trailer and will be headed for Fleece tomorrow to see what we can figure out. Johnboy, Brayden and I talked that maybe we proportion the brakes more to the back wheels to hold it so to lighten the stress on the front??

Appreciate the support. We've made it a long way but we still can't seem to get over the hump with it. I haven't pulled since last Sept. If I can't hook either day at Scheids I will be a drunken mess.:D Tony is hooking Friday if we get it going and then I get my chance Sat if he doesn't get in.

Ed

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
Seems everyone else is holding this type of power and more, why can't we??

I like solid axles - on my 78!

how much power are you producing? when you try to lauch a ifs off the line hard it will break parts in the front end. i did that at a tug o truck and it wasnt fun

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Well we went to Danville and Fleece Thursday to get some bugs worked out. The truck only made 589 on Mark's dyno due to the headers leaking very badly and not holding boost. Still respectable for little boost and stock sticks. We took them off at Brayden's that night, had them milled, and put them back on (took about 4 hours to get them back on :mad:). Tony made a hook at Scheid's. We did a second gear start and it didn't light until about 100 feet. When it came on, it sounded awesome. Shifted into 3rd about 4k and it fell off the charger. We were trying a smaller housing but we are now in search of a completely different charger. We are thinking we don't have enough drive pressure with our larger headers and up-pipes. Nothing broke this pass and it almost went. With a smaller charger, I think we may actually climb over some of these humps.

A huge thanks to Mark at Danville and Brayden at FPE for all their help this weekend. Two of the best shops we have ever worked with.;)

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Well we went to Danville and Fleece Thursday to get some bugs worked out. The truck only made 589 on Mark's dyno due to the headers leaking very badly and not holding boost. Still respectable for little boost and stock sticks. We took them off at Brayden's that night, had them milled, and put them back on (took about 4 hours to get them back on :mad:). Tony made a hook at Scheid's. We did a second gear start and it didn't light until about 100 feet. When it came on, it sounded awesome. Shifted into 3rd about 4k and it fell off the charger. We were trying a smaller housing but we are now in search of a completely different charger. We are thinking we don't have enough drive pressure with our larger headers and up-pipes. Nothing broke this pass and it almost went. With a smaller charger, I think we may actually climb over some of these humps.

A huge thanks to Mark at Danville and Brayden at FPE for all their help this weekend. Two of the best shops we have ever worked with.;)

So your headers are now leak free?
what size turbo and housing r u running now?
589hp with leaking headers and low boost is damn good IMO:)
do you know what the drive press was or just geusstimating?

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
So your headers are now leak free?
what size turbo and housing r u running now?
589hp with leaking headers and low boost is damn good IMO:)
do you know what the drive press was or just geusstimating?

Very little if at all - we made a big improvement (I didn't notice any smoke under the hood when he pulled from my angle). The heat from all the welding warped them far more than we thought originally.

Currently a 3 inch Turbonetics midframe with a 1.01 housing. We were told the first housing was a 1.14 - turned out to be a 1.27 when we got it apart :eek:. I am talking to GMS to see if he can get ahold of a much smaller, maybe even 2.6 charger to try out while we're on stock sticks. Just guessing drive pressure is an issue. No measurement of it taken yet but our piping is pretty big.