Progress on the new puller

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Is this maybe some of your problem?

I've been convinced for a while that this is our problem, just have not been able to convince a contributor to the project that we need to change something. I am still going to get a smaller charger to try before we reengineer our entire exhaust system. If that doesn't work, I have some ideas on changing the logs and keeping the current up-pipe configuration.

I thought it was going to go at Scheid's once it lit, and then it fell flat on the 2-3 shift.

I'm having withdrawal. It has now been over a year since I have hooked to a sled since Tony has been doing the testing on this truck. He has more experience than me with bigger chargers and I just wanted to see it go.

Last edited:

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Might look to Brayden for a custom charger of some sort, but not a variable.

Try smaller headers and smaller exhaust header tube , maybe even stock manifolds and I would bet your problems would be solved.

I just do not believe your issues are because of the charger, modified or not.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Try smaller headers and smaller exhaust header tube , maybe even stock manifolds and I would bet your problems would be solved.

I just do not believe your issues are because of the charger, modified or not.

Smaller charger and smaller headers (possibly stock manifolds turned forward) are in the works.

I'm still trying a smaller charger before I reengineer the exhaust. Just too easy to try first and I want something different. Everyone told us headers were the way to go. At Scheids we see the top 3.0 dmaxs running manifolds.:confused:

Texasmax

Sep 20, 2007
DFW-Texas
Your header logs may work better in an drag application. I'd bet the stock type manifolds would help a bunch. Not to give away any of your secrets, but what about your injectors (too big??).

Dix

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Your header logs may work better in an drag application. I'd bet the stock type manifolds would help a bunch. Not to give away any of your secrets, but what about your injectors (too big??).

Dix

Definitely not too big. Currently are bone stock. We pulled the 45% over when we had to replace injectors so we could be sure we fixed our fuel leak. They go back in this winter and I'm comfortable saying they are the right size.

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
Have you guys tried wrapping the exhaust? Forgive me if I missed it earlier in the thread...

Nick

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Have you guys tried wrapping the exhaust? Forgive me if I missed it earlier in the thread...

Nick

We bought some at Danville Performance during Scheid's weekend but didn't think it would help enough. I have talked to my header builder and we are most likely moving to plan B and shrinking them down a bit.

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
With all due respect to your header builder, I would try wrapping them first. If you can just keep the heat in those pipes, you can save yourself a lot of welding.

You're fueling the truck hard enough I assume?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Headers

I really think the headers are to big myself. Turbo motors "usually" don't like a big primary tube. I think a diesel makes that even worse with the lower rpm we run them at. Ed i'm sure you and Tony will get it figured out. Jeff

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Update

Just an update for everyone:

We haven't touched the truck since Labor Day weekend when Tony pitched both CVs on the line. We are going to try to pull the headers off this weekend. Once we get some $ we are going to get a set of 4500 manifolds and turn them forward and run either 1 7/8 or 2 inch piping to the turbo and wrap the sh!t out of them. The manifolds will need cut since they wrap so hard around the back of the engine block on the big trucks, but our welder has done some testing and believes he can get a good weld on the manifolds to some stainless. Why 4500s - Wes and Nathan were both running them in 3.0 successfully. I'd rather have a nice smaller log header but can't justify the extra cost right now.

After that, the 45% injector tips will go back on and hopefully drag it to Danville to hit the dyno sometime this winter.

I've posted some pics of the new GMS forged pistons but we are not taking apart this motor until it says it is ready.;)