PPE Kit

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
i would call george also. the problem with the ppe stuff is not the cutches or anything because they are all the same but more likely then not the tolerances will not even be close to what you need and without extra clutches and or steels laying around it may be hard to get the right tolerances needed and trust me it wont last long if the tolerances arent right.

i would not agree with you on this topic, i have personally installed 3 of there stage 5 kits and i have very little problem with tolerances, also depends on the tranny builder to know where the tolerances should be for different power applications, dan is great to work with and there tech support is always there when needed!!!!

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
i would not agree with you on this topic, i have personally installed 3 of there stage 5 kits and i have very little problem with tolerances, also depends on the tranny builder to know where the tolerances should be for different power applications, dan is great to work with and there tech support is always there when needed!!!!

Well im not asking for anyone to agree with me on this but the last kit we had at the shop was off on c1 and c3. We had to get different steels to make it correct. I was telling the op that don't be surprised if it is not 100 percent drop in. But every kit we get from george the tolerances are all spot on.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
exactly:thumb:

Just ask Matt Woertz

LOL I WILL NEVER build another PPE kit. I've built quite a few suncoast and overhauled allison's back to factory condition and have never had the issues getting the correct clearances I've had with the PPE kit,, THEN when the C1 and C2 burnt up, PPE told me,, "yeah we've revised the kit some since then due to that issue,, we'll sell you the part to correct our mistake for $500"!!!! WTF?? I'd spend $600 somewhere else rather then save $100 to keep PPE from getting my money.
I've sold and built 3 PPE stage 4 kits,, 2 of the three had issues. I sell more suncoast kits/trans then that some months and have yet to have an issue other then a leaking shift shaft seal after 3 years in business.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
the clearance was close,, but like said your guy said it would be ok so i let it fly. it was a hair looser then i normally set them but i was assured it'd be ok. Don't sweat it now,, i'm eating this bill to be done with PPE for good :thumb:

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
5,, i can't remember,, enough i didn't think it was right so i called though. I've never been the guy who had to hit say .075 right on the head and always allowed for a little difference one way or the other but what ever it was alarmed me to the point i called to try and get some different thickness plates,,,, i was told to let it fly so i did and now I'm eating the repair.

DuramaxTireSmoker

Jun 8, 2010
SW Florida
Wow thread got a little long overnight! Since some of you are saying to peice together a kit, what do you think of Alligators? Call me tight, but I can't/ don't want to spend a dollar more than I have to. I doubt the truck will ever see anything beyond 550 rwhp.

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
Wow thread got a little long overnight! Since some of you are saying to peice together a kit, what do you think of Alligators? Call me tight, but I can't/ don't want to spend a dollar more than I have to. I doubt the truck will ever see anything beyond 550 rwhp.

You get what you pay for. I you want to be a cheap ass this sport is not for you.

cdub0451

Mar 8, 2010
Rio Rancho, NM

Looks like you need to make a trip up to Ft. Walton. I'd rather pay a Suncoast, Big Dipper, Mike L than do it myself and pay twice. Thats why when I moved out to SoCal, I took my truck to Mike. Couldn't be happier! Well worth the money.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

If your spending less then what these trans gurus are charging you, then you are getting skimpped on labor or parts and neither is good for a trans that you want to last at that power. I have done every bit of work to my truck accept the trans for one good reason, there is more too it than msot know. There really is such a thing in the allisons as "you get what you pay for". Ive been trying to engrave this into a buddy of mine for over two years now. he still doesnt get it :D

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I have put quite a few PPE kits in and seen maybe 2 where the clearance was iffy in the PPE kit. We have extras here so its not a big deal for us. But again as many as we have done and only seen 2, I doubt you will run into an issue (Again this is the trans based on wear, snap rings, and such, not really the kit itself. The PPE kits are nice and easy install, they have the instructions on their website if you never done one before. Also you could pick up a ATSG manual and it will walk you through it pretty well. You get a ML converter with the PPE kit and we have yet to have someone not liking the trans when they leave. Dan has answered the phone or called right back if I ever had an issue as well. Best bang for the buck these days seem to be a PPE kit and if you do it correctly, it will hold up. Take your time, make sure your work area is clean, do it in steps, dont rip everything apart at once. Dont try to do it with a bunch of friends running around and goofing off and trying to 'help'. Pay attention and you'll be fine. :thumb:

EDIT: Oh I also didnt read through the entire thread, I caught a little and was responding to OP.

Last edited:

DMAXDOC

May 26, 2011
I really enjoyed the experience of doing my trans myself and would do another (of my own, not someone elses). I just double checked everything and took my time and it went good. Definatly not a project for everyone though.

DuramaxTireSmoker

Jun 8, 2010
SW Florida
I have put quite a few PPE kits in and seen maybe 2 where the clearance was iffy in the PPE kit. We have extras here so its not a big deal for us. But again as many as we have done and only seen 2, I doubt you will run into an issue (Again this is the trans based on wear, snap rings, and such, not really the kit itself. The PPE kits are nice and easy install, they have the instructions on their website if you never done one before. Also you could pick up a ATSG manual and it will walk you through it pretty well. You get a ML converter with the PPE kit and we have yet to have someone not liking the trans when they leave. Dan has answered the phone or called right back if I ever had an issue as well. Best bang for the buck these days seem to be a PPE kit and if you do it correctly, it will hold up. Take your time, make sure your work area is clean, do it in steps, dont rip everything apart at once. Dont try to do it with a bunch of friends running around and goofing off and trying to 'help'. Pay attention and you'll be fine. :thumb:

EDIT: Oh I also didnt read through the entire thread, I caught a little and was responding to OP.

Thank you. I have an ATSG Manual, the PPE istructions, and another guys DIY instructions. I want the ML converter as I rode in a truck with one and liked it. I have an extra transmission in the shop so I'm gonna try to take my time.

I think I've narrowed it down to a PPE V or Alligator V.

Maricopaagent

Glamis Anyone?
Oct 10, 2011
Arizona
I have a PPE 5 showing up today.. There is an Allison shop in PHX building the tranny wed.. Will be rolling by friday night if time permits to put it back in.. :happy2:

Then we'll see if i can bend a rod.... :mad:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Thank you. I have an ATSG Manual, the PPE istructions, and another guys DIY instructions. I want the ML converter as I rode in a truck with one and liked it. I have an extra transmission in the shop so I'm gonna try to take my time.

I think I've narrowed it down to a PPE V or Alligator V.

If you are dead set on buying the cheapest kit, buy a PPE, because at least Mike will pick up his phone and give you help when you need it.