Piston Bowls

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Interesting little fact:

These pistons have ~15% less surface area than the stock pistons and ~9% less than typical delipped pistons. If the BTUs of heat absorbed by a piston is directly proportional to the surface area, (it is if the chamber temp is the same) these will run cooler than stock.

This will be good to see results ill be doing a motor this fall hopefully an will use these if they work how we all hope they do

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Interesting little fact:

These pistons have ~15% less surface area than the stock pistons and ~9% less than typical delipped pistons. If the BTUs of heat absorbed by a piston is directly proportional to the surface area, (it is if the chamber temp is the same) these will run cooler than stock.

:thumb:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
how long until they find there way into an engine? i am very close to buying new pistons

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Very cool. :thumb:

The reduction is surface area might be worth quite a bit. You don't have to remove heat that isn't there to begin with.

Polishing the crown will also reduce effective surface area.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The rest of the build with these pistons will have to wait till I get back home from this 3 week business trip.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Sidebar - I'm not sure the delipped are not better at resisting cracking than lipped.

Unless you can feed the temperature differences of the crown, and the strength at temp of the alloy, you might not be seeing why it's happening.

Not a lot of folk are cracking delipped pistons, but most cracked pistons are stock engines, which are the lion's share of the hotrodders. I do know that the lip is where the crack originates from.