Pics of the New Pulling Setup

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
When you unwind the torsions all the way the weight transfer is different due to the front end being able to travel upwards more. The angles arent the same as a stock truck either if you have your tierods in line with the centerlink you will have negative cv angles. The bump in trackwidth for the front may help with traction too.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Didn't a lot of the lifted trucks have front diff or CV issues and the driveshaft hitting the trans? Was that the lift or was it the motor mounts?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Didn't a lot of the lifted trucks have front diff or CV issues and the driveshaft hitting the trans? Was that the lift or was it the motor mounts?

I think that was just the motor mounts because alot of stock height trucks had the same issue. I could be wrong though

trailerpro

Aug 6, 2006
Salem, Ohio

We had trouble til Matt put a strap on the motor and straightened the front diff that I apparantly mounted crooked.

Ran all last season without any trouble.:cool:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
We had trouble til Matt put a strap on the motor and straightened the front diff that I apparantly mounted crooked.

Ran all last season without any trouble.:cool:

You can mount the diff crooked? Did you misalign the passenger side mount or something? Strange stuff

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
Weight is what pushes the tires down, not the torsion bars. The only way a lift would make the front tires have more weight on them is if it somehow changed the way weight transfers.

I've never really looked at the front angles on a 4" Tough Country lift (or really any lift for that matter). Obviously if you try to have the same height on a stock suspension as you would with a lift, the angles on the lifted truck would be better, but how are the angles any different than a stock suspension truck with the torsion bars lowered?

the torsion bars are like a big spring, if you crank the bolt all the way up the key twists the bar the bar twists and pushes the control arm down which forces the the tire down into the ground. trust me, if you go to a truck pull watch the how a truck with the torsion bars all the way down. the front tires just spin out on the dirt not digging at all. a truck set up as with the bars cranked will pull with the front axles and will dig into the dirt. i know this works i have done it on mine, all the way down and slowly started to crank the bolts back up till we were happy!

there are so many threads you read about there being some standard rules for sled pulling 3 gear, 4 lo, torsion bars all the way down... there are so many things people could do to improve there trucks, one must think outside the box. one thing that helped me alot was gears, nobody ever thinks of those. with my truck suspension setup right and gears i can pull 4th gear with my stock charger making 28 psi and run with many trucks with alot more power.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
the torsion bars are like a big spring, if you crank the bolt all the way up the key twists the bar the bar twists and pushes the control arm down which forces the the tire down into the ground. trust me, if you go to a truck pull watch the how a truck with the torsion bars all the way down. the front tires just spin out on the dirt not digging at all. a truck set up as with the bars cranked will pull with the front axles and will dig into the dirt. i know this works i have done it on mine, all the way down and slowly started to crank the bolts back up till we were happy!

there are so many threads you read about there being some standard rules for sled pulling 3 gear, 4 lo, torsion bars all the way down... there are so many things people could do to improve there trucks, one must think outside the box. one thing that helped me alot was gears, nobody ever thinks of those. with my truck suspension setup right and gears i can pull 4th gear with my stock charger making 28 psi and run with many trucks with alot more power.

You seriously need to learn more about IFS. It does not work like you think. The only thing that can plant tires to the ground like you are talking about is weight transfer

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

You seriously need to learn more about IFS. It does not work like you think. The only thing that can plant tires to the ground like you are talking about is weight transfer

read it again jordan..

in short he drops the front then "preloads" the tb till he get is likeing..

with the screws out there is "NO Pre Load" to speak of when the truck is up on "plain" if you will..

now one tightens the screw to were it start raising the front back up off the bump stops... one has effectivly put more force on the fornt tires.. instead ofhte front just "hanging" there..with min spring force holdign the tires down.

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
if you preload the TB's it becomes easier to "lift" the front end of the truck making the weight transfer off of the front to the rear.
But what do I know, we only have sand trucks down here :D

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
if you preload the TB's it becomes easier to "lift" the front end of the truck making the weight transfer off of the front to the rear.

then what shoce the front tires in the ground when the truck is on plain going down the track... being this stock suspsion and t/b all the way out?

and past the 100' whats doing most of hte work anyways? front or rear?

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
let your bars all the way down and lift up on the front of your truck, front comes up very easy? load the bars then lift up on the front of the truck, alot more resistance there right? takes much more effort to try and lift the front of the truck, then add weight, makes a great setup!

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
let your bars all the way down and lift up on the front of your truck, front comes up very easy? load the bars then lift up on the front of the truck, alot more resistance there right? takes much more effort to try and lift the front of the truck, then add weight, makes a great setup!

x2, i messed with my tbars some when i was pulling, down all the way wasnt the best. Ive seen a lot of lifted trucks pull good, but ive also seen some stock heigth trucks hook up just as good. I dont think a lift is needed, but helps. I wonder how qa1s/coilover shocks would help?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

Go put your truck on a scale with the bars down then crank them up. I bet you don't see much if any front axle weight difference. A spring cannot push the tires harder into the ground unless it has something to push against (weight). It's science...

I am not saying lifted trucks don't grip better, but if they do, it's due to weight transfer.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Go put your truck on a scale with the bars down then crank them up. I bet you don't see much if any front axle weight difference. A spring cannot push the tires harder into the ground unless it has something to push against (weight). It's science...

I am not saying lifted trucks don't grip better, but if they do, it's due to weight transfer.

Thats pretty much what the tbars help is weight transfer, when they are cranked down all the way, the front end has no rebound and comes up much harder when taking off, thus transfering all the weight to the back.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas

I'm with you Josh. As soon as you start pulling all the preload is going to come off the bars anyhow. And then you will have more front end lift then before.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I'm with you Josh. As soon as you start pulling all the preload is going to come off the bars anyhow. And then you will have more front end lift then before.

You may think thats how it would work, but its not. You dont know till you do it weekend after weekend trying different setups. Go ask how many of the bigtime pullers with stock suspension keep their bars down all the way.

Would you guys agree that IFS hooks up better than a solid axle? If so i bet its not because of weight transfer. :thumb:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
read it again jordan..

in short he drops the front then "preloads" the tb till he get is likeing..

with the screws out there is "NO Pre Load" to speak of when the truck is up on "plain" if you will..

now one tightens the screw to were it start raising the front back up off the bump stops... one has effectivly put more force on the fornt tires.. instead ofhte front just "hanging" there..with min spring force holdign the tires down.

Spring force CANNOT hold tires down. I'll ask Russ which book he used for his four link. There's more information on this very subject in there than any of us could remember.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Spring force CANNOT hold tires down. I'll ask Russ which book he used for his four link. There's more information on this very subject in there than any of us could remember.

Im sure you can read books all day long, and get technical with it, if thats what you want to beleive, is books, run your tbars down all the way all the time. If it was all about weight transfer, which i really dont buy, then a stock truck with the bars cranked all the way down, would probably do better, cause most lift kits level trucks up, where a stock one would set a lot lower in the front. If it was all about weight transfer, ifs wouldnt hook up better than a solid axle. I ran my tbars all the way down when i first started too, just like everyone told me, then i started to try stuff different. Books will take you so far, then experience will take you even further.

Last edited: