Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
You are correct, hence I suggested a gasket of some sort (copper washer?) that’s hopefully wide enough to seal up. Just don’t know how well that will do under pressure in the long run

I mean an o-ring should suffice as long as there is a smooth/chamfered surface for to to run on for both the cooler and adapter side, 100psi is nothing on an o-ring these days (my built motor truck runs 80-85psi cold on 20w50).

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I mean an o-ring should suffice as long as there is a smooth/chamfered surface for to to run on for both the cooler and adapter side, 100psi is nothing on an o-ring these days (my built motor truck runs 80-85psi cold on 20w50).

its not meant for an o-ring, i dont see one staying unless you drill/recess the threads on the cooler. The moment you try to tighten it down, the o-ring will tear or push out.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
James, can you measure the plug on the older oil cooler too? Is it a M20x1.5? I'm getting ready to steal KidTurbo's idea and use the fuel temp sensor to measure oil temperature now that it is warming up.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, can you measure the plug on the older oil cooler too? Is it a M20x1.5? I'm getting ready to steal KidTurbo's idea and use the fuel temp sensor to measure oil temperature now that it is warming up.

Like Brad said, the old ones were 1/2” npt. You don’t get more than 3/4 of a tune before the 1/2” npt binds to high hell

Stupid question but couldn’t you just drill and tap the housing for whatever adapter you needed.

Don’t you dare ask me stupid questions!!

Lol yeah you could but it would be too big for 1/2 npt then.

Does it match a JIC plug?

Not a damn clue.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
You will need 2 8mmx1.25 120mm long bolts and 3 8mmx1.25 40mm long bolts for the other three mounting bolts of yours are too long. My ace only had 110mm long bolts and they are too short so I ordered 2 in from Allen’s fasteners. Couldn’t find a flanged bolt in that length so you may have to buy GM bolts with the cooler if you want them all to match or change them all out so they match

Just to let you guys know who plan to purchase new bolts. I was able to order these through my local fastenal for about 15 dollars. For the 5 bolts James gave the measurement for and order an 8mm x 1.25 20 mm long for the third new hold on the cooler outlet adapter.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
Update. Ordered the adapter off of Amazon that was mentioned. I don't think it is going to work. Either mine is wrongly machined (the fitting) or the cooler is not perfectly flat on the exterior where the fitting sits. Either way the copper crush washer is unable to make full contact with the entire fitting. I still have not been able to identify the fitting used. The closest thing that I can find is a NWD zero leak fitting but it uses an o-ring along with the taper that these fittings seem to have on the top of them. I may try and reach out to a machine shop to see if they can make one. Will update again... if that proves successful. :thumb:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Boy this cooler makes a difference. Took the truck out for a maiden voyage and romped on her pretty good. Oil never went over 195 and man it cooled off fast when the coolant would drop from 195. Usually I see 195-200 and holding under the same conditions. It would hold 180-185* otherwise which again is cooler and staying right on coolant temp. I’ve taken the air to oil cooler completely off and have a trip planned end of August so it will be a real good test them. It was 109* today when I was running around. She’s staying cold

Last edited:

chevyman

May 1, 2012
Where the 5th wheel is parked
Boy this cooler makes a difference. Took the truck out for a maiden voyage and romped on her pretty good. Oil never went over 195 and man it cooled off fast when the coolant would drop from 195. Usually I see 195-200 and holding under the same conditions. It would hold 180-185* otherwise which again is cooler and staying right on coolant temp. I’ve taken the air to oil cooler completely off and have a trip planned end of April so it will be a real good test them. It was 109* today when I was running around. She’s staying cold

Did you notice much of a difference in how the coolant temps were running?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Glad to hear this is working awesome! From what I've read, you're seeing lower temps with the 2020 cooler than you were seeing with the factory cooler and external cooler, is that correct?

I'm excited to see the towing results.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Glad to hear this is working awesome! From what I've read, you're seeing lower temps with the 2020 cooler than you were seeing with the factory cooler and external cooler, is that correct?

I'm excited to see the towing results.

with the fan on, on the external, they are about the same but with a faster reaction to cooling with the 2020 cooler (as to be expected). its a question of how much it will now load the cooling system with heat.

there is a wheeling trip next weekend i may tow my tracker up for (up in payson, toughest hills in az to tow on) so i can see how a light load is with it.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
there is a wheeling trip next weekend i may tow my tracker up for (up in payson, toughest hills in az to tow on) so i can see how a light load is with it.

Throw a few concrete blocks on and take one for the team :roflmao:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
with the fan on, on the external, they are about the same but with a faster reaction to cooling with the 2020 cooler (as to be expected). its a question of how much it will now load the cooling system with heat.

10-4, I am thinking I can get by with just the 2020. Hottest I see is ~95f ambient and we don't have tons of hills. For under $250 I think its a worthwhile upgrade to help keep the oil cool.

Throw a few concrete blocks on and take one for the team :roflmao:

^You're onto something here!