DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If it hasn't broke by now, what's going to break? F that break in, seat the rings with some cylinder pressure and go
X2

I've got 37,625 mi on my build, with 600+ HP from day one. I don't subscribe to the gentle break in philosophy. But, ain't my engine, ain't my money, so I can't really criticize.

I know mine was born into fire! :roflmao: I did 1 heat cycle in the shop, then a ~100 mile trip through the mountains to dial in the tune a little and discover all the minor things I missed. Next day, boom, towing a tractor up Jarbo Gap, literally just to break in the truck. Fastest that tractor ever went up a hill in its life!

Glad to hear the 2020 oil cooler is doing so well. I need to get off my ass and put one on my truck.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
James, load em good. Every engines I built when I was at Empire, it gets thrown on the Dyno right after it's finished and loaded up to the max. Those were 2400hp diesel engines for the Morenci mine haul trucks. Most of them made it over 10k hours and those operators aren't easy on them. If you load them up, the piston rings will seat better and you won't get much oil consumption during break in.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
My truck got 1 heat cycle in the shop, 10mi short drive as a shakedown, then 100mi towing a 6800lb 5th wheel camper (heaviest thing the 475 felt like towing well with the tuning I had at the time).

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you guys act like ive been babying this thing around town or something. it literally got started, idled till warm, looked for leaks, shut off, cooled, started again, made it 1/2 mile to mexico and stood on it on my way to fill the tank. since that point, its hit WOT every time ive started it :roflmao:. still on the same 600hp tune. this isnt my first engine build, all are still running without issue (ok, besides my original :D :rofl:)

what i DONT want is a coolant hose, fuel line, loose clamp and so on to rear its head on a 2-3 hour drive under hard load with the family in the truck. that will eat the engine before anything else. ;) im ironing out the stupid shit that may cause an issue. quit thinking its because im scared of the engine blowing because of an internal issue, that worry went away the moment i hit WOT a 1/2 mile in and it still running like a sewing machine. 500 miles will tell me if i will have anything pop up that shouldnt be an issue.

i guess call me a pu$$y for making sure everything else on the truck is 100% before getting pushed? :roflmao::roflmao:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
you guys act like ive been babying this thing around town or something. it literally got started, idled till warm, looked for leaks, shut off, cooled, started again, made it 1/2 mile to mexico and stood on it on my way to fill the tank. since that point, its hit WOT every time ive started it :roflmao:. still on the same 600hp tune. this isnt my first engine build, all are still running without issue (ok, besides my original :D :rofl:)

what i DONT want is a coolant hose, fuel line, loose clamp and so on to rear its head on a 2-3 hour drive under hard load with the family in the truck. that will eat the engine before anything else. ;) im ironing out the stupid shit that may cause an issue. quit thinking its because im scared of the engine blowing because of an internal issue, that worry went away the moment i hit WOT a 1/2 mile in and it still running like a sewing machine. 500 miles will tell me if i will have anything pop up that shouldnt be an issue.

i guess call me a pu$$y for making sure everything else on the truck is 100% before getting pushed? :roflmao::roflmao:
It wasn't obvious (at least to me) that you'd been out beating on your truck. I totally understand the desire to sort out the little stuff before taking a family trip. That's why I did the ~100 mile mountain drive before the first big haul that could leave me stranded with no easy way to get the tractor back home. And I did find a couple minor issues on that drive. Notably that my powder coated accessory brackets didn't conduct electricity, so even though my alternator thought it was charging, and the battery light would go out every time I started the truck, it was actually not charging. Pop the bracket off, 30 seconds with a file to get some bare aluminum to touch the block, and feel stupid for being an electrical engineer and overlooking the alternator ground. :eek:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It wasn't obvious (at least to me) that you'd been out beating on your truck. I totally understand the desire to sort out the little stuff before taking a family trip. That's why I did the ~100 mile mountain drive before the first big haul that could leave me stranded with no easy way to get the tractor back home. And I did find a couple minor issues on that drive. Notably that my powder coated accessory brackets didn't conduct electricity, so even though my alternator thought it was charging, and the battery light would go out every time I started the truck, it was actually not charging. Pop the bracket off, 30 seconds with a file to get some bare aluminum to touch the block, and feel stupid for being an electrical engineer and overlooking the alternator ground. :eek:

well sure! but this isnt my build thread. post from my thread on the maiden voyage

https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1136564&postcount=1229