Chilly

Dec 4, 2018
I've been fighting with a dealer all day and not getting anywhere.

Would anyone be willing to purchase one for me and send it to me if I paid before hand?

Thanks

Chilly

Dec 4, 2018
What is the new oil filter part number? I want to see if I can use this new cooler with my thermostat off my oil filter housing for my current air to oil cooler.

**EDIT** Found it a couple posts back.

New Filter: Thead size M22 X 1.5 (93mm Diameter)
- Wix: 51592
- Donaldson: P550166

Old Filter: Thread size 13/16-16UN (94mm Diameter)
- Donaldson: P550518

Are you able to remove the threaded end inside the oil cooler and swap back on the original M22x1.5 threaded filter stub? I am running the BAT MOCAL SP2TC oil filter adapter plate with thermostat and fittings running to my air-oil cooler. This new cooler will not work with the new thread size.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
What is the new oil filter part number? I want to see if I can use this new cooler with my thermostat off my oil filter housing for my current air to oil cooler.

Are you able to remove the threaded end inside the oil cooler and swap back on the original M22x1.5 threaded filter stub? I am running the BAT MOCAL SP2TC oil filter adapter plate with thermostat and fittings running to my air-oil cooler. This new cooler will not work with the new thread size.

It may be possible but I don't know if the sealing surface diameter is different on the 2020 vs 01-19 so that may render your current plate useless or useful. Someone would have to make a an oil housing nipple. I also don't know what size the cooler itself is threaded to.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

no you can not. you will have to either make your own adapter or buy a whole new setup. i believe there is only 1 or 2 options for -10an sandwich adapters in the thread, none in -12an. never could confirm if diameter would be correct.

corneredge

Sep 11, 2016
North East USA
Has anyone tested the improvement with a LML cooler upgrade? Seems like that is a bolt on upgrade with a decent area improvement vs. this new one that is a LOT more work. For a LMM doing heavy towing on a mild tune, would the LML upgrade be the best route?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Has anyone tested the improvement with a LML cooler upgrade? Seems like that is a bolt on upgrade with a decent area improvement vs. this new one that is a LOT more work. For a LMM doing heavy towing on a mild tune, would the LML upgrade be the best route?

01-16 is the same cooler. the l5p 17-19 cooler is 50% bigger than the older gen and uses the same old style filter. it would for sure be an improvement, how much i dont know. i got a brand new one sitting on my shelf if you want it :D

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin

I'm curious how you see it as a lot more work? You bolt this on with new bolts from the dealer and have to do some minor shaving on the exhaust manifold heat shield bracket if you're running LML manifolds. The LML oil cooler is identical as to what came on your truck. 17-19 has ~40% more cooling capacity (14 row vs 10 row on 01-16). 2020 has 20 rows offering an awesome 100% increase in cooling capacity.

corneredge

Sep 11, 2016
North East USA
I'm curious how you see it as a lot more work? You bolt this on with new bolts from the dealer and have to do some minor shaving on the exhaust manifold heat shield bracket if you're running LML manifolds. The LML oil cooler is identical as to what came on your truck. 17-19 has ~40% more cooling capacity (14 row vs 10 row on 01-16). 2020 has 20 rows offering an awesome 100% increase in cooling capacity.

Ok, so it may not be A LOT more work, but if the other one bolts on that is certainly easier.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Ok, so it may not be A LOT more work, but if the other one bolts on that is certainly easier.

They do both bolt on. What manifolds are you running? If you're running stock manifolds then you shouldn't have a problem other than buying the new bolts and outlet piece from the dealer.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
They both bolt on just as easily as the other. The new one simply requires in additional bolt for the coolant adapter where the coolant leaves the cooler body. It genuinely is no extra work at all! :hug:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you guys will have to shave the lower rear heat shield mount regardless of lml exhaust manifold or stock. it does not just bolt straight on, if you left it, and cranked the bolts down, it will crack over time.

does no one read anymore? or is it just selective reading?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
you guys will have to shave the lower rear heat shield mount regardless of lml exhaust manifold or stock. it does not just bolt straight on, if you left it, and cranked the bolts down, it will crack over time.

From what I gathered in your post, you stated it was a problem with LML manifolds. Apologies.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

All I heard was bolt on...:rofl: