JAG91761

Mar 12, 2018
Ontario, California
The cooler I got from Turbotug went behind the bumper, directly behind the vents. The one on the 05’ is a cross diesel cooler that attaches to the round cross member that the front skid plate bolts onto, so kind of under and behind the bumper. It is a little exposed and I would worry a touch if I were off road a lot...

Have any pics? Can you send me the link I would be interested to take a look at it

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I might just do a silverado SS front and rear bumper. The SS bumper has a nice opening that the cooler get air with out cutting anything
On my 05 I bought a new primed ft bumper and cut down at the same angle as the bumper is made to near the plastic at the bottom of the bumper , it made the hole about 6in wider and aprox the same height as the new trucks , a lot more air heading toward the Mike L cooler ! I forgot to tell you that before I installed the bumper after cutting it I chip guarded it the same color as the truck it looks good , not show quality which is not me anyway as you can see by my sig , function only !

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
At the point where I need to relocate all of my coolers as they are either in a bad spot,(because racetruck) are getting road debris(because racetruck) or are better utilized elsewhere. My truck was heading to track only then I bought a purpose built drag truck so back to a mall crawler it goes,
thinking under bed or in bed. I have 3 coolers to move, all 3 will have electric fans. What's easier? In bed would be a piece of cake but under bed is obviously cleaner. But is more susceptible to road debris.

Sep 19, 2012
265 degree oil temp while towing!

Hey Guys,

So I recently had my engine rebuilt after burning a hole in a piston. I pull a 18-21k toy hauler so I added an external oil cooler. I went with a Derale 40 row cooler w/ an 800 CFM fan. I used the adapter from Mocal, 12an fittings and hose. My temp sensor is at the pre cooler port on top of the factory oil cooler.

With the trailer and pulling a pretty decent grade @ a 40-50 degree ambient I was reaching 263-265 pretty easy. ECT was probably 220-225. I was keeping RPMs up. Flat ground everything temperature wise was in check. Rebuild has about 2000 miles on it.

I know oil temps on these things is an issue while towing, that's why I added the external cooler, but I didn't think I would get that hot. I can't imagine what temps were before the cooler while towing! I didn't have the gauge until after rebuild.

So. Is this what I'm going to have to deal with? I assume I need to switch to synthetic after complete break in? I've cleaned the stack, have a bigger tranny cooler too.

Thanks,

Casey

PS. This is on an 06 3500 4x4 LBZ

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You want to know the hottest point the oil gets too, that’s pre-cooler. That will be the thinnest viscosity. It will also tell you if you are quickly degrading the oil as well.

Where is your oil cooler mounted? 800cfm fan isn’t much. The fans derale sends on their coolers are not the greatest either. Spal is the way to go

Sep 19, 2012
You want to know the hottest point the oil gets too, that’s pre-cooler. That will be the thinnest viscosity. It will also tell you if you are quickly degrading the oil as well.

Where is your oil cooler mounted? 800cfm fan isn’t much. The fans derale sends on their coolers are not the greatest either. Spal is the way to go

I think the Derale cooler is using a spal fan. I'll double check when I get home. The cooler is mounted under the truck in a horizontal position. Have it on a 200 degree temp switch with a manual switch override incase, for some reason, I didn't want the fan running.

Thanks,

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I thought you wanted to know the temp after cooler. The oil temp will be even hotter when it’s inside the engine. The short spike in temp won’t hurt the oil it’s the sustained temp that will degrade it. At least that’s what I was told.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I think the Derale cooler is using a spal fan. I'll double check when I get home. The cooler is mounted under the truck in a horizontal position. Have it on a 200 degree temp switch with a manual switch override incase, for some reason, I didn't want the fan running.

Thanks,

When you tow, turn it on manually and never shut it off till you park the truck. You want that thing to pull as much heat out as possible. That horizontal position is terrible for any air flow and it being under the truck means it’s getting all the road heat/low air circulation. Needs to be in the front under the cooling stack and in an area air flow past the bumper will hit it

I thought you wanted to know the temp after cooler. The oil temp will be even hotter when it’s inside the engine. The short spike in temp won’t hurt the oil it’s the sustained temp that will degrade it. At least that’s what I was told.

What you see is what’s currently that temp in the pan, which means A vast majority of the oil is that temp until the cooler and the cooling system is attempting to pull heat out of. When you pull grades, that’s not a short spike. It can be at that temp for minutes at a time and you do that over and over, it quickly degrades reg dino oil. A synthetic is the best to run honestly. It will provide the most protection at and above 300*. It also shows if you are running those temps the system can not absorb the heat so everything is getting hotter. 220-225* coolant temp is not helping keep oil cool. The greater the differential in temps with coolant and oil, the faster heat will be pulled or added (depending on which liquid you are talking about).

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

It's no different than coolant temp... You read it before it gets cooled not after... On the basics...

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
When you tow, turn it on manually and never shut it off till you park the truck. You want that thing to pull as much heat out as possible. That horizontal position is terrible for any air flow and it being under the truck means it’s getting all the road heat/low air circulation. Needs to be in the front under the cooling stack and in an area air flow past the bumper will hit it

where would you recommend the best place for it if the bumper is not an option, exclude the stack too because it is definitely bad as i learned due to lack or mounting locations up front

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2012
where would you recommend the best place for it if the bumper is not an option, exclude the stack too because it is definitely bad as i learned due to lack or mounting locations up front

This....there is no way I'd get that cooler in the bumper and I have a bigger road armor bumper. I know horizontal isn't ideal but that's why I did one with a fan. The vertical options left the cooler hanging below the frame.

Maybe I can make scoop or something to try and get some air flow going through it? I thought the fan would make up for the fact it doesn't have direct airflow.