New duramax rods iv been working on

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
dmax tuner rods. he developed a set with no real research, introduced them to the community at a low price, sold a few sets right away. All sets of rods failed at less than what stock rods can handle, with one quite impressive failure.
11ccfee9f16069b55dc25fcf9acb2abe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Wowwww i have no words for that one.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I feel I adequately laid it out once already but apparently you don't get it.

He is one person nobody has heard of selling an untested product outside of his own engine with claims of being guaranteed to 1000hp. As said before the last guy that said that failed miserably. He has given no name, no company name, no info about where he actually is working out of, no pictures of his vehicle or build or engine with the rods in it. Nothing. Just words in a forum and some suspect googled pics others have found. He may as well be a Kenyan scammer.

Jeff is not just a guy on a forum but a moderator no less with dozens of people backing up his legitimacy and reputation and has been in the game for years. If he were to F him on the deal if the rods held up and he doesn't pay I'll chip in to pay the guy back myself just to save some face for the sake of the forum, Pat, Kat and Rob. But I know this won't happen.

Like others have said new untested CRITICAL engine parts usually get divied up between a few different groups to be tested and proven. Usually the supplier doesn’t get a dime for any of it and does this well before offering the product for sale to the public in hopes they work as advertised and the said groups buy a pile of them. That's where they recoup the costs. It's called r&d. R&D always costs money up front.

To NOT expect to have to give a set or two away of a component like this to prove them, get the name out there, and promote them is ridiculous.

And Jeff isn't even asking for a free set, he's actually offering the guy free independent testing with FULL payment upon proof of guarantee. Jeff takes a way higher risk on this deal.
No, you're not understanding what I'm saying. He's half way around the world, and being told he should give away a set of rods t osomebody he has no idea who they are. All he knows is he is told he is a stand up guy on an internet forum. Hell, theres lots of forums out there with supposed stand up guys on them who would stab there closest family members in the back for a dollar. I'm not saying thats the case here, but how is he to know the difference.

And to Rob, I've been on YB and seen MANY type just as he does from down under, as well as had a few on boat message boards I go to type just like him. I just took it as how some of them were down under.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
No, you're not understanding what I'm saying. He's half way around the world, and being told he should give away a set of rods t osomebody he has no idea who they are. All he knows is he is told he is a stand up guy on an internet forum. Hell, theres lots of forums out there with supposed stand up guys on them who would stab there closest family members in the back for a dollar. I'm not saying thats the case here, but how is he to know the difference.

And to Rob, I've been on YB and seen MANY type just as he does from down under, as well as had a few on boat message boards I go to type just like him. I just took it as how some of them were down under.
So what if he's half way around the world or across the street? The across the street guy can and actually is more likely to get screwed too.

Fact still remains he needs to get them proven if he has any hope in selling them.

If not Jeff Dean, whom if I'm not mistaken also has his own business, and who if it works out again is willing to pay full price for them, then give a set to one of the other reputable shops that offered to dyno test them under the same terms? Or research diesel shops, find a partner to do the testing with, prove them, put the proof out there and he will be a hundredaire before he knows it and all initial costs will get paid back.

The way I read it, he's reluctant because they may not be what he says they are. That in itself is reason enough to not buy a set.

Your right, nobody is being forced to buy them. But who in their right mind would with the information put forth on them as of now?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I feel I adequately laid it out once already but apparently you don't get it.

He is one person nobody has heard of selling an untested product outside of his own engine with claims of being guaranteed to 1000hp. As said before the last guy that said that failed miserably. He has given no name, no company name, no info about where he actually is working out of, no pictures of his vehicle or build or engine with the rods in it. Nothing. Just words in a forum and some suspect googled pics others have found. He may as well be a Kenyan scammer.

Jeff is not just a guy on a forum but a moderator no less with dozens of people backing up his legitimacy and reputation and has been in the game for years. If he were to F him on the deal if the rods held up and he doesn't pay I'll chip in to pay the guy back myself just to save some face for the sake of the forum, Pat, Kat and Rob. But I know this won't happen.

Like others have said new untested CRITICAL engine parts usually get divied up between a few different groups to be tested and proven. Usually the supplier doesn’t get a dime for any of it and does this well before offering the product for sale to the public in hopes they work as advertised and the said groups buy a pile of them. That's where they recoup the costs. It's called r&d. R&D always costs money up front.

To NOT expect to have to give a set or two away of a component like this to prove them, get the name out there, and promote them is ridiculous.

And Jeff isn't even asking for a free set, he's actually offering the guy free independent testing with FULL payment upon proof of guarantee. Jeff takes a way higher risk on this deal.

I would be more than willing to pony up some $$ to help offset Jeff's costs, too. It would be for the benefit of the entire Dmax community, and isnt that what we're here for and why we keep doing this? We need more cost-effective parts in order to get more people into the sport. IMO, the single greatest reason diesel motorsports isnt growing faster is the cost of building the engine/trans/driveline in the first place. If we could find a way to reduce the costs, yet keep quality up, we'd be onto something.

But I, too, am surprised the o/p hasnt posted his business info and original pics of these rods. That would at least to add a smidge of legitimacy to his offers/claims. We certainly dont need another DT rod fiasco in this sport.

As for those DT rods. I seem to remember he had used 4140 steel instead of 4340, and his heat treat/final machining QC was suspect, wasnt it? I had always wished that Mat would've chimed in on the steel quality.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Really

Thanks Shane I guess some people on here read what they want because they don't like me. lol I really don't care. Im like Trump and yes I'm voting for him just for that reason. I'm flat ass tired of PC!!!!! I do things my way like me or not and its on nobody but (ME!) That's for Greg. :roflmao: Now I NEVER wanted anything for free! I have NEVER asked any vendor for anything for FREE! Ask any vendor on here or anywhere else. Have I gotten stuff from some vendors for free? Yes I have and I thank them for that. It helps and without a few good companies it would be harder to do this stuff. I have nothing to gain by running these rods. I just purchased a set of rods from a member on here for my drag week build I'm starting. I'm also going to build a motor for my work truck to run in the dirt drags. These rods would go into that motor. I really don't care if he sends them or not. Unlike others here I try to help others not get burned like I have many times early in life. It sucks! Now I'm in a better place and if I can help I will.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
dmax tuner rods. he developed a set with no real research, introduced them to the community at a low price, sold a few sets right away. All sets of rods failed at less than what stock rods can handle, with one quite impressive failure.

Iirc there us still 3 trucks with Nicks rods in them running around last time I talked to Ben a couple years ago.

Smokum

May 21, 2010

It seems that money is the #1 concern here for you/Pootrol, as you have beaten to death that he shouldn't be expected to give away something for free. So, if Pootrol can't afford to give away some rods - fine. Last time I checked, him providing information about himself, his background, his company, his vehicle, his motor build, where he is located, ect. IS ALL FREE. Most here know who Jeff (Stingpuller) is, and if they don't, a quick search would yield that info. Until he provides this community with that information, he is going to be labeled/treated like a Troll.

Fact of the matter is, he has gone about this completely backwards and has skipped many crucial steps in starting a business/proving a product, regardless of what the product is. It's business 101, at least in this country.

I for one hope the rods turn out to be what he says, and I applaud Jeff for stepping up and offering to test.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

Those rods even look like shit. Terrible sharps everywhere and the machine work (finish) sucks. If you can't machine something pretty, then you know the material, heat treating, and finishing processes sucked also.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Every time I develop something I have to give away a few samples for testing to certain people that I know will test it properly. That's the way it is. If the product fails, or needs adjusting I eat it. That's the way it is.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Normally, I'd agree with you.... but here's the thing with regards to this topic.

You can go to Summit and order a set of Howards rods (4340 I-Beam) for a Big Block Chevy for $959. Manley rods are similar (actually cheaper than Howards in most cases it seems). Why in the world do Duramax rods cost 3x as much? There can't be THAT much more material. So the most logical answer is supply & demand (Greed, IMO) - the market for Duramax Performance probably isn't as big as the market for Big Blocks, so they jack the price up.

So if you were to assume that the Duramax rods from the big manufacturers cost them roughly the same to make as the gasser counterparts, but the reason they cost the retailers and consumers 3x as much is that they jack the price up due to supply & demand, then it's not totally outside the realm of possibility that someone could come along and make something equally as good at a cheaper price.

Maybe I'm talking nonsense, but I have a really hard time believing that a set of rods for a Duramax truly costs THAT much more for the manufacturer to make than a set of rods for a 454.

I always assumed it was because they are larger and need to handle higher stresses than a gasser rod. I mean sure, the economic side of it plays a part, but have you ever held an aftermarket Dmax rod in your hand? They are freakin huge! A bbc billet rod from howards weighs almost a pound less than a Carrillo. Multiply that by 8 and Im sure the difference in material costs add up quick.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

Then pimp the rods over there! Once they are proven in your own backyard with multiple high Hp trucks then come on here with your sales pitch and proof.

Bottom line, he is fishing for sales on this Forum.

I have never meet Jeff or yourself but I have no doubt your both men of your word. I gathered that by spending close to a decade on here reading your posts. It's not hard to figure out who the shady F*cks are...

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
^yes exactly, a BBC rod doesn't see the cylinder pressure we do period. The big 1500hp plus BBC run rods of similar price to ours.

NRA223

May 20, 2015
The cost of R&D and Operations will take longer to recoup with lower volume sales. A company that makes rods and already has the facility and equipment will still have tooling and fixture costs associated with a new product line. Then any company that cares about the product they put their name on will extensively test and revise a product before it is available to the public to make sure they put out the best product available. The more of this that goes on and the lower the expected volume of sales will increase cost. Being in manufacturing, I know we can often buy completed parts from China cheaper than we can buy the material in the states. Yes there are Chinese manufacturers that make a quality product, but how do you tell the difference? Unless the company is ISO certified or does some form of APQP or PPAP process control, you won't know until you test it. I've spent a lot of time reworking Chinese parts. They looked OK but failed dimensional checks. While re-machining we discovered there were nails, screws, and all sorts of misc. garbage that didn't melt all the way in the casting. Do you want that possibility in YOUR 20K engine? That's all anybody is asking for here is some real world unbiased R&D before they take that gamble.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I fully agree some testing needs to be done. All I'm saying is I can understand his hesitantness about shipping out a set for free to somebody he doesn't know, and has no knowledge of except for an internet message board. Also it is his choice to do business how he sees fit, not to be bullied and persecuted because he chooses to do it differently than others feel he should. And yes, his decision to do business his way may well cost him the ability to sell any of these rods, but it's his choice. That is all.

And on a side note, I agree that some details here do seem fishy with this. His 1st set of pics do not match up to his 2nd set of pics is a big red flag to me. It looks like his 1st set of pics was of a finished product, and the pic of all the rods was of the raw rods striaght from the forger that that does the raw forgings. In any case, it would be nice to have one post with all pertinent pics of finished product with specs laid out. This thread reads more like a hobbyist with an idea that still isn't ready for production(which it very well may be).

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ferm, keep in mind.....he came here to us. We didnt go there to find him.
Exactly.
And when met with scepticism, that's when you take the extra step if your confident in your product to take someone up on an offer like Jeff's and quash the doubt by proving your product.

The possible rewards if it passes independent testing far out weighs the risk of maybe losing $1500 in this case.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Still no pics of his rods in the short block, no dino sheat, no quarter mile pass, and still no name for this guy. . . We are waiting mate! What's your Damn name? And where's the pics?