New duramax rods iv been working on

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
Normally, I'd agree with you.... but here's the thing with regards to this topic.

You can go to Summit and order a set of Howards rods (4340 I-Beam) for a Big Block Chevy for $959. Manley rods are similar (actually cheaper than Howards in most cases it seems). Why in the world do Duramax rods cost 3x as much? There can't be THAT much more material. So the most logical answer is supply & demand (Greed, IMO) - the market for Duramax Performance probably isn't as big as the market for Big Blocks, so they jack the price up.

So if you were to assume that the Duramax rods from the big manufacturers cost them roughly the same to make as the gasser counterparts, but the reason they cost the retailers and consumers 3x as much is that they jack the price up due to supply & demand, then it's not totally outside the realm of possibility that someone could come along and make something equally as good at a cheaper price.

Maybe I'm talking nonsense, but I have a really hard time believing that a set of rods for a Duramax truly costs THAT much more for the manufacturer to make than a set of rods for a 454.

I agree with you. It blows my mind what everyone charges for anything, not just duramax, but diesel in general.

I understand companies have bills to pay, but jeez do you have to try to make the months rent off of one guy?? :confused:

I for one really hope this turns out to be good. With what he wants to charge for a set, it's in my budget range. And just a thought here, but if something like the rods were priced at a lower price, wouldn't that encourage more people to want to build a little more further on these duramaxes? In my mind, if someone could purchase a hp appropriate set of rods, then I would think they would purchase other mods as well, due to them having a little spare cash leftover, and not all of it going to just a set of rods... Just my thoughts on the matter... :)

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Personnally I can't believe ANYBODY would have the nerve to ask for something for free. His stuff may well be the chinese rods that he had more work done to, but they may not, you take a gamble trying out anything new. This guy is on the other side of the world, and has no clue who anybody here is other than they are in the click here. If he was willing to do it for half up front, that sounds pretty dam fair to me. But hey, sit back and call him a troll because he has no idea who he is sending the stuff to, and ZERO knowledge of who they are, and if they are legit(other than some guys on an internet forum saying he is legit). He has no clue who stingpuller is other than what he sees on an internet forum. He can't just go over and meet him, and work out the details. HE is taking a HUGE leap of faith here in trusting somebody who he cannot vet accept through an internet message board. And since he cannot vet them, he offers a half up front deal, and is called out as being a scam artist by the very person who is asking for his stuff for free, that he can't vet to know if he is going to get his money back if his product checks out to said persons approval.

He is the one trying to sell something new and unproven. Sending out free product to people who are going to test them is standard protocol and is how you properly prove a product is ready to sell to the public. Having the nerve to ask money for an unproven product is what I can't believe. He should be thankful someone reputable offered to test them because if they do prove to be a good product the cost of giving away a few sets of rods will be nothing compared to the profits to be made.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Personnally I can't believe ANYBODY would have the nerve to ask for something for free. His stuff may well be the chinese rods that he had more work done to, but they may not, you take a gamble trying out anything new. This guy is on the other side of the world, and has no clue who anybody here is other than they are in the click here. If he was willing to do it for half up front, that sounds pretty dam fair to me. But hey, sit back and call him a troll because he has no idea who he is sending the stuff to, and ZERO knowledge of who they are, and if they are legit(other than some guys on an internet forum saying he is legit). He has no clue who stingpuller is other than what he sees on an internet forum. He can't just go over and meet him, and work out the details. HE is taking a HUGE leap of faith here in trusting somebody who he cannot vet accept through an internet message board. And since he cannot vet them, he offers a half up front deal, and is called out as being a scam artist by the very person who is asking for his stuff for free, that he can't vet to know if he is going to get his money back if his product checks out to said persons approval.

I completely disagree with you.. Here's why, if he was trying to sell a new intake system or exhaust manifold I might agree with you. The reality is if his unproven rods fail Stingpuller is out thousands and thousands of dollars. I'd say giving away a test set for free to a respected member of the largest performance Duramax community is the least he can do to get the free real world testing. Think of like this, if the rods are what he believes them to be he's receiving about the best publicity he can for the cost of one set of rods. To me this is the cost of doing business. My shop gives away free service on a regular basis to well placed people in the knowledge that if they're satisfied they'll recommend us to others. I don't see this as any different, except Stingpuller's really taking the risk here.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007

This person has not listed his name, company name, place of location, can't write with proper sentence structure or spelling, nor has he answered questions about his test duramax. Videos and pictures of these rods in an engine should be available. I'm all for cheaper products but I have seen many scams that smell just like this. Ask yourself, why hasn't this person come clean with any info except what anyone can find on the internet?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
This person has not listed his name, company name, place of location, can't write with proper sentence structure or spelling, nor has he answered questions about his test duramax. Videos and pictures of these rods in an engine should be available. I'm all for cheaper products but I have seen many scams that smell just like this. Ask yourself, why hasn't this person come clean with any info except what anyone can find on the internet?

Exactly. I keep tripping over all the red flags.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Then don't try em out. He started out saying he's been working on them, and then the thread blew up. Vetting goes BOTH ways. I don't see him with a gun pointed at anybodys head demanding they try them. I know everybody is gun shy after pink slippers rods, but come on now. His 1st post said if anybody is interested, send him a PM about them, and before anybody knew it he's called every name i nthe book, a scam, troll, and should be banned. As to tohers talking about his sentence structure and such, go on a few forums and read how the Aussies type, it is just like him. Our sentence structure and typing can be confusing to them just like his is to us. I'm not here to defend anybody, just trying to say look at the other side of the coin.

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
Normally, I'd agree with you.... but here's the thing with regards to this topic.

You can go to Summit and order a set of Howards rods (4340 I-Beam) for a Big Block Chevy for $959. Manley rods are similar (actually cheaper than Howards in most cases it seems). Why in the world do Duramax rods cost 3x as much? There can't be THAT much more material. So the most logical answer is supply & demand (Greed, IMO) - the market for Duramax Performance probably isn't as big as the market for Big Blocks, so they jack the price up.

So if you were to assume that the Duramax rods from the big manufacturers cost them roughly the same to make as the gasser counterparts, but the reason they cost the retailers and consumers 3x as much is that they jack the price up due to supply & demand, then it's not totally outside the realm of possibility that someone could come along and make something equally as good at a cheaper price.

Maybe I'm talking nonsense, but I have a really hard time believing that a set of rods for a Duramax truly costs THAT much more for the manufacturer to make than a set of rods for a 454.

Here's why....

Let's say you start out developing a rod, you're going to have many design changes along the way with a number of prototypes before you even have a product ready to test=lots of $$$

You finally have a prototype that is ready to test, you need at least 8 per engine to test (really more than that if there's ANY type of failure along the way), and will likely have a number of test engines running the prototypes=more $$$$

Finally, you have a design you're happy with, you develop and arrange tooling, materials, etc. etc. etc. etc. = yet even more $$$$$

You haven't made a single dime yet, but you have a rather sizable investment in your product.

Now lets say your product was for a small or big block Chevrolet.... if you have a good or great product you will sell a LOT of the rods quickly... possibly hundreds or thousands of sets. Your price point and profit margins can be set accordingly= you are going to sell enough of these so the price can be low (reasonable)

Now lets say your product is for a Duramax... even if you have the very best product available, your potential market is very, very small comparably, so your price point has to be a LOT higher just to recoup development costs= you're going to be lucky to break even, and it will likely take a very long time.

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
There's no way in hell I'd take my hard earned money and risk an expensive engine even if he offered the rods for free. Just not worth the risk, no way, no how. Understand what everyone is saying, but unless you can afford to risk a very expensive engine it's just not worth the risk. And it's always about the risk.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
He is the one trying to sell something new and unproven. Sending out free product to people who are going to test them is standard protocol and is how you properly prove a product is ready to sell to the public. Having the nerve to ask money for an unproven product is what I can't believe. He should be thankful someone reputable offered to test them because if they do prove to be a good product the cost of giving away a few sets of rods will be nothing compared to the profits to be made.

This ^^^^^^

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
I'm sorry, but anyone who believes these rods are anything but junk is just kidding themselves. 6pt rod bolts? Same pics as Chinese "Hurricane" rods? No real names, no real details, no pics of the rods in an engine? How many red flags do you need?

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
As to tohers talking about his sentence structure and such, go on a few forums and read how the Aussies type, it is just like him. Our sentence structure and typing can be confusing to them just like his is to us. I'm not here to defend anybody, just trying to say look at the other side of the coin.

This is interesting, I have many business clients in AUS and have most always received emails/letters with proper English. If I read your response and was from AUS, I'd be offended.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Jeff never said he wanted anything for free. He said test then for a few thousand miles and see if they were a option and he would pay for them. If a Salesman comes to your house selling a product but doesn't give his name, his companies name, and details of what he selling I guarantee you nobody will buy his product. What's the difference with this guy here? It's not like if this product fails you are out a few bucks or a hours time to change a part. You are undertaking a huge risk just testing them. If it was cheap everyone on here would have built motors already.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
What I don't get is, this is a product that the OP said HE WAS personally working on...yet he knows nothing about them. It would seem like he is "working on" being on of the 1st vendors supplying this rod, trying to take an unproven product and run with it, with high hopes and complete disregard to the consumer hoping for a low buck investment with a high dollar return...

I saw reference to a big bloc chevy rod and Dmax rods, in regard to cost and development, and why dmax rods are so much more expensive...well, a Dmax rod needs to ne stronger and endures more force and they come with tool steel wrist pins, too, whereas its an expensive option to ADD to other rods in the Gasser world...I would imagine more development would be necessary for a Dmax rod vs a big block Chevy rod...
IMHO, Its just silly to compare Gasser stuff to diesel stuff, it doesn't work out, but I could've taken that way out of context :eek:
:D

I "needed" rods for my build last week, I wouldn't even look at these
They are not an option under these pretenses, even if they were given to me, not without an insurance policy/guarantee that covered subsequent damages if the unknown brand name rod, fails

I would test these rods out if I was given such an opportunity, and I would pay for them if they turned out to be what they claim...just like sting offered.

But talk about the WRONG WAY to introduce a product into a very small and tightly knit market
:eek:hgeez:

Last edited:

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Im still caught up on the pink slipper rods maybe this was before my time. What's the story on that. Just sounds comical. Haha Hopefully this doesn't go down in duramax history as the pooptrol rods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Im still caught up on the pink slipper rods maybe this was before my time. What's the story on that. Just sounds comical. Haha Hopefully this doesn't go down in duramax history as the pooptrol rods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmax tuner rods. he developed a set with no real research, introduced them to the community at a low price, sold a few sets right away. All sets of rods failed at less than what stock rods can handle, with one quite impressive failure.
11ccfee9f16069b55dc25fcf9acb2abe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
dmax tuner rods. he developed a set with no real research, introduced them to the community at a low price, sold a few sets right away. All sets of rods failed at less than what stock rods can handle, with one quite impressive failure.
11ccfee9f16069b55dc25fcf9acb2abe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Wow that's insane. Can you imagine the disappointment!? Let alone the guilt. How did his fail? I'm sure there had to be a logical explanation as to why they failed. Why did he give up instead of making adjustments. Did he test them? Surely he did. Bob is a pretty reputable guy. One last question does this have anything to do with why he's not a vendor on here? I have his tunes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

I feel I adequately laid it out once already but apparently you don't get it.

He is one person nobody has heard of selling an untested product outside of his own engine with claims of being guaranteed to 1000hp. As said before the last guy that said that failed miserably. He has given no name, no company name, no info about where he actually is working out of, no pictures of his vehicle or build or engine with the rods in it. Nothing. Just words in a forum and some suspect googled pics others have found. He may as well be a Kenyan scammer.

Jeff is not just a guy on a forum but a moderator no less with dozens of people backing up his legitimacy and reputation and has been in the game for years. If he were to F him on the deal if the rods held up and he doesn't pay I'll chip in to pay the guy back myself just to save some face for the sake of the forum, Pat, Kat and Rob. But I know this won't happen.

Like others have said new untested CRITICAL engine parts usually get divied up between a few different groups to be tested and proven. Usually the supplier doesn’t get a dime for any of it and does this well before offering the product for sale to the public in hopes they work as advertised and the said groups buy a pile of them. That's where they recoup the costs. It's called r&d. R&D always costs money up front.

To NOT expect to have to give a set or two away of a component like this to prove them, get the name out there, and promote them is ridiculous.

And Jeff isn't even asking for a free set, he's actually offering the guy free independent testing with FULL payment upon proof of guarantee. Jeff takes a way higher risk on this deal.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
It wasn't Bob..... It was Nick . go to diesel place and search it. It's here too somewhere. Ben got hosed real good.