LMM: LMM with 222,000 tear down rebuild

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Well

Got 280 miles left to home.. egts running hotter ~150-200 boost isnt as responsive, mpg is down, turbo play is good.. but seams to stop spinning faster than normal once truck is off.. it would take solid 60-70 seconds to stop spinning...
egts once off throttle dont drop as fast... no signs of soot leaks...didn't feel any holes in the piping or boots hot or cold side..
got about 70k on a new chra gt4088r.. it might be dieing:eek:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
And shes down ~50hp 120tq
13725066_10209041585290377_3103421417758756994_o.jpg

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Where was it dynod last and what were the conditions?

You're forgetting this is a dyno.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Where was it dynod last and what were the conditions?

You're forgetting this is a dyno.

True its a dyno.. i was hoping less than 10% difference..

Firepunk
The 396hp pull was last time on 5/15/15 with same turbo but with stock pistons.
I never did dyno a fresh engine with ovals in a back to back style plus i didnt have a compression tester yo check new cylinder psi.. so i got that against me as well

Only thing i know for fact is grade speed has dropped and mpg has dropped substantially.

Good part of me says something is not "right"

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
True its a dyno.. i was hoping less than 10% difference..

Firepunk
The 396hp pull was last time on 5/15/15 with same turbo but with stock pistons.
I never did dyno a fresh engine with ovals in a back to back style plus i didnt have a compression tester yo check new cylinder psi.. so i got that against me as well

Only thing i know for fact is grade speed has dropped and mpg has dropped substantially.

Good part of me says something is not "right"

id trust that.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Any ideas whats up

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

One thing I saw with 4 engines i went through last year. Was ring gaps would walk themselves in a line. I'd install them 180° out with top ring inline with inboard mark on the pistons. Fresh rings went in every time i changed the block..

Ive seen similar stuff with the rings on my Bolt carrier group after shooting 5-600 rds the gaps would start walking together.

Once warm blow by is pretty substantial for an engine with 70k or so on it
The other worse case scenario would be i shorten rods

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Temperature and humidity will have a pretty big impact. How's the turbo doing?

So would I. You know how it's supposed to run better than any dyno.

Turbo is running better since i got north of Beckley wv Friday. Sounded pretty dam good on the dyno this morning.. cell phone picked up the tire nose over the turbo whistle though..

Temps and humidity was through the roof in VA/Nc last week, high 90s and lows where up 70s, humidity was mid 80 or higher

Ordered the kent moore 47603 adapter should be at my door CoB tomorrow

I have a hard time believing i shortened the rods. At less than 400hp.. though they have over 300k on them and lot of that was at close to 400hp.

Other idea would be its a crazy wtf electrical issues with the ECM.. ive had couple of those before as well.

Total seal will make a set of .040 over gapless 2nd rings for ~650.00 with a week or so lead time.

nwpadmax

comlpete diphsit
Aug 17, 2006
under my truck
Didnt read all the pages, but if you ever put a bunch of contaminated oil through the Garrett BB cartridge, it could be hurt. This is what put an end to BB turbos on the Cat Acert engines. General fleet service did not keep the oil clean enough to meet Garrett's cleanliness requirements.

Your shaft speed would drop and so would your boost if the balls are skidding.

Of course you could have new bearings put in it, but often times that costs more than a new S300sxe....

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Didnt read all the pages, but if you ever put a bunch of contaminated oil through the Garrett BB cartridge, it could be hurt. This is what put an end to BB turbos on the Cat Acert engines. General fleet service did not keep the oil clean enough to meet Garrett's cleanliness requirements.

Your shaft speed would drop and so would your boost if the balls are skidding.

Of course you could have new bearings put in it, but often times that costs more than a new S300sxe....
Pretty much kept all my drama to on train wreck of a thread... Lol

Mat, The chra has been replaced back in December with the last engine install. As i took the original 4088 out with a water pump failure dumping coolant into the oil.
Haven't had any issues since then until recently. Last 1500miles or so of the ~70k its been together
On install Everything was primed(40psi while cranking) prior to firing the engine

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
One thing I saw with 4 engines i went through last year. Was ring gaps would walk themselves in a line. I'd install them 180° out with top ring inline with inboard mark on the pistons. Fresh rings went in every time i changed the block..

Ive seen similar stuff with the rings on my Bolt carrier group after shooting 5-600 rds the gaps would start walking together.

Once warm blow by is pretty substantial for an engine with 70k or so on it
The other worse case scenario would be i shorten rods

Rings will move around, some engines more than others. I've never found out exactly why rings settle where they do (sometimes the gaps being almost on top of each other like you've seen). But one thing I would try to avoid is installing the gaps straight up or down on a thrust surface.

Not saying this is your issue, but it caught my eye.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Rings will move around, some engines more than others. I've never found out exactly why rings settle where they do (sometimes the gaps being almost on top of each other like you've seen). But one thing I would try to avoid is installing the gaps straight up or down on a thrust surface.

Not saying this is your issue, but it caught my eye.

What do you mean by thrust surface? As in directly over the wrist pin area? Ive been putting the. 90° to the wrist pin

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
As in NOT 90° from the pins, more like 10:30, 1:30, 4:30 or 7:30, if the arrow on the pistons was 12 o'clock. During the power stroke you don't want the thrust load of the piston (think piston skirt area) to push on the ring gaps. But you don't want the gaps over the pins either, or they'll twist.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Never new that.. yeah they where installed at the 12 o clock..
Though i never liked the idea of the gaps right over the wrist pin.

Pending what the compression comes out at.. idk maybe re ring... I dont like throwing more fuel at it right now