LMM: LMM with 222,000 tear down rebuild

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I saw your posts and video. The build of your tcase isn't much different than an np

Just reread.my post didn't mean to come off as a dick... :eek:

My question is.. If it rear.main shaft Related.. Why is the noise come/go in relation to imput shaft spinning? Even with truck parked and oil pump/rear main shaft not spinning..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just reread.my post didn't mean to come off as a dick... :eek:

My question is.. If it rear.main shaft Related.. Why is the noise come/go in relation to imput shaft spinning? Even with truck parked and oil pump/rear main shaft not spinning..

Lol it's all good. I figured as much :D

If the main shaft is allows to float, the input load could be forcing the shaft backward making the syncros try to engage the front drive shaft. Just a theory. Did you try engaging 4wd to see if it stopped the noise? Either way that case has gotta come out and you will find the issue lol

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Are you certain its in the t-case and not the rear half on the trans?

T-case in neutral engine off no noise. Rotation in rear of trans is stopped by breaking the connection between the output shaft and the input shaft.

T case in neutral truck stopped, trans in gear and have noise. Again rear of trans is still rotating.

Makes me think its either the rear output of the trans or the input to the t-case. Looking at the diagram, its a bit unclear and I do not remember if the planetary rotated with the input shaft, but the break in the power transmission line on the input shaft.

Does it make the same noise when in low range?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Have you considered that the noise could be coming from your transmission?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Adam. Let me know what you figure out. I know where an 08 is sitting that has like 140k on it with both the trans and tcase if need

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Makes noise in low/high 2/4 and truck parked with case in neutral and transmission in gear

Doesn't make noise while rolling with tcase in neutral with engine off and transmission not turning

Front driveshaft was not reinstalled from when I had tcase out for range fork or torque converter and pump mods... Didn't touch back half of the transmission or pull anything more then the pump housing/valve body off during that.. Ordeal..

Sprin front drive shaft hub/flange/what ever... Spins easy and smooth in 2H. If in netrual it's locked to rear shaft. Figured that out when I had it apart 4 weeks ago

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
IDK if it's rear main bearing of the transmission..
I lifted the back of the truck up with the trailer put it in gear..(25ton jost landing gear it was fairly easy) At idle the Tcase you can feel the vibrations with the noise while in gear

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just rebuilt a transmission a few weeks ago that had a planetary completely eat itself that sounded like what you described. It could be the planetary in the t-case, but it could also easily be in the transmission. The t-case is easy to check, but if the fluid looks good with no metal, I would drop the trans pan and look at in there. The one I did was full of metal.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I just rebuilt a transmission a few weeks ago that had a planetary completely eat itself that sounded like what you described. It could be the planetary in the t-case, but it could also easily be in the transmission. The t-case is easy to check, but if the fluid looks good with no metal, I would drop the trans pan and look at in there. The one I did was full of metal.

I remember you showing me... Didn't look pleasant..

I only got fast Enough to get to 2nd gear..
Noise was instantaneous.. Had window down when it happened

Another side note and unrelated to tcase
Did find axial and radial movement on CV shafts.. One had radial movement at spindle the other at the flange to diff

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That's right, I forgot you stopped by when that truck was here. FWIW, that truck got quiet when it shifted into 5th. If it's the trans, it may get quiet in one or more gear. If it never gets quiet or changes sound, that would be more evidence of it being the transfer case.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
That's right, I forgot you stopped by when that truck was here. FWIW, that truck got quiet when it shifted into 5th. If it's the trans, it may get quiet in one or more gear. If it never gets quiet or changes sound, that would be more evidence of it being the transfer case.

I was in TH and 5th when it happened.. Noise was constant as I slowed down and it downshifted through the gears.. It didn't stop untill I was under 5mph

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you put the shifter in M and hold it in first gear, does it make the sound?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Usually damage to transmission planetaries will make more noise on accel, or decel. Depending on what is damaged. At least in my experience. And as Josh already pointed out, usually only make noise in certain gears.

Constant noise all the time like that is probably in the transfer case I would think.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Y'all talking about planataries damage I hope I didn't miss any debris from the range fork destroying itself and trash the planetary find out in couple hours.. Tear down in Walmart parking lot:(

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
That looks good
12733564_10207790800901549_6010026141701014616_n.jpg

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Did you try cranking up the truck and putting it in gear with the transfer case out to see if it still made the noise?