LMM: LMM with 222,000 tear down rebuild

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Truck develop a throttle and speed related noise at 65 and 6th.. I've checked everything I can..including wheel bearings Can't find culprit... Seams I'm going to have blow it up to find the failing item... Hate doing it this way :(
Hopefully I can get everything picked up and kicked off
Have I mentioned how much I hate trouble shooting problems like this!
Fwiw taking us52/18 from Rochester MN to Janesville wi

Found idler arm bracket and arm are sloppy which killing my tire.. So new part tomorrow then hopefully off to Laredo tx for Monday kickoff

Gues 276k on original steering system time for new stuff

Replaced idler arm and brakcket, new tire and new transmission mount.. All needed replacing but not the issue causing the noise :mad:
all fluids checked greased
Heading for lerado tx early AM, 1500 miles then ~300 back to Houston to kick of stop #2
Hate having something wrong and I can't find it :banghead:

Problem (vibrations/growl) went away between Austin, Laredo, to Houston, to Waco, to van tx close to 800 miles then came back this morning..
It's throttle/speed or load related. 18-1900rpm does now in both 5th and 6th at 55-60mph below or above speed regardless of load/throttle its silky smooth... It doesn't vibrant/growl in any other gear or speed..

No load/free rev is smooth/crisp/responsive to 3,000
Put 12k on the engine with no problems.. :mad:
Gues I pull the engine.....again..

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Why are you going to pull the engine if it's speed related?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Why are you going to pull the engine if it's speed related?

I haven't been able to isolate its purely speed or purely throttle...
I can make it vibrate on command with the throttle in stated windows.. Heavier the load trailer wise more noticeable it is vs bobtail

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
not a u-joint, rear end or front diff issue?

U joints are tight one rear shaft, front wasn't put back in, in case I have another freak thing with transfer case.. Since I still haven't swapped 4.56 into the front yet..

Noise seams to be coming from the front of the truck.. I currently don't have any way to completely remove the front diff.. CV shafts, connection are all tight

Course I'm still 900 miles from home... :/

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Since it started in 6th gear, and now it does in 5th also I wonder if the torque converter is on its way out.

Have you logged it to verify it isn't slipping?

Have you manually down shifted to 4th to verify it doesn't do it in 4th gear?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Since it started in 6th gear, and now it does in 5th also I wonder if the torque converter is on its way out.

Have you logged it to verify it isn't slipping?

Have you manually down shifted to 4th to verify it doesn't do it in 4th gear?

Logged no..
Though have rolled into it while in that said area RPM increased in relation to truck speed increasing.. This is all while in lockup as well..

4th gear is too short with 4.56 gears.. I'm in 5th by 55 at the latest.. No vibrations in 4th all the way to 2700rpm

Took video of common accelerate I'm ~21,000lb gross and caught hood old 3-4 shift flare as well
https://youtu.be/vCN8Aoh1AZY

Last edited:

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Do you think it could be trans related? I have a similar issue on my 06, sometimes it feels like i have a front tire out of balance but it only does it in 5th and 6th as well. I keep telling myself its just a trans or motor mount. My trans is original with 266,000 mi but I'm not sure what would cause the vibration if it is in the trans.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Do you think it could be trans related? I have a similar issue on my 06, sometimes it feels like i have a front tire out of balance but it only does it in 5th and 6th as well. I keep telling myself its just a trans or motor mount. My trans is original with 266,000 mi but I'm not sure what would cause the vibration if it is in the trans.

i don't think so... outside random 3-4 shift flare of the transmission going through neutral I don't have issues with it...
some reason I cannt upload a logged file...

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Put it on a rack and run it Adam. See if you can replicate it, use the parking brake to simulate load if you have too.

Rack as in alignment?
Not sure how that could be if it only does it in gears 5+6 unless I'm missing something.

Not too mention it has come and gone 2 times now

If the balancer was bad.. Wouldn't it vibrate regardless of engine load and get worse as you increase rpm?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Not too mention it has come and gone 2 times now

If the balancer was bad.. Wouldn't it vibrate regardless of engine load and get worse as you increase rpm?

Since the combustion event is what causes the harmonic in the first place..

On my truck it ended up being axle wrap up. Cal tracs solved the issue for the most part.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Since the combustion event is what causes the harmonic in the first place..

On my truck it ended up being axle wrap up. Cal tracs solved the issue for the most part.

That makes sense. Ujoints binding essentially...

Almost home... One of the lines for my aux oil cooler sprung a leak saw oil gauge go from 70 to 20-25psi at 1800 on my mechanical gauge on #2 main.. In which shut the truck off.. Took 5qts to top off.. That all happened around Elizabeth town ky..

Vibration is now in 4th above 2000, louder and more noticeable in 5/6 gears definitely front left DS of the truck.. Yet find no rubbing...
Shook the fan it has play.. About 1/8" at the blade tips.. Iirc there shouldn't be any movement, Which it really hasn't come on much which its on by 89-90°C. Saw 92°C after I disconnected the aux oil cooler never heard the fan..