LMM: LMM with 222,000 tear down rebuild

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Remember the o-rings on the rear cover......
attachment.php

That would be easy fix.... Problem is there's o ring surrounded by ~1/8" aluminum, ~1/4" gap then ~1/2" think piece that's glued to the back of the block.. Coolant isn't getting into the oil that way...
Unless the crossover pipe on the mid plate cracked..

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
2016 Cummins G56...

X2. C&C 5500 put a sleeper on it and drive the piss out of it. I'm Really starting to think if you are going to use a pickup like an over the road truck you need an over the road engine to hold up.

I really hope you get the problems resolved and get some trouble free miles soon.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
2016 Cummins G56...

X2. C&C 5500 put a sleeper on it and drive the piss out of it. I'm Really starting to think if you are going to use a pickup like an over the road truck you need an over the road engine to hold up.

I really hope you get the problems resolved and get some trouble free miles soon.

Cause going from a non emissions truck to a 50k emissions truck where 90% of down time is emissions related...

The argument to getting at bigger would make sense if I got a bigger engine .... Not get a bigger truck with same platform engine as a 3500

If I had the financial capacity to buy another truck I'd have another one already
Along with not having a banker talk me out of setting up a business account I could get SBA assistance

Last edited:

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY

A Cummins swap into and old C3500HD makes more sense than dealing with the emissions issues of a new Ram not to mention being at least 30,000.00 cheaper.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Is his current truck paid off? He will have driven the wheels' off the warranty within 6 month's. And have to many miles to ever get decent trade in value. If he invests into his current truck with a GM long block Adam has still got to be ahead.
No got about 14 months left.. On the note and I've put 170,000 miles on it since Sept 12

A Cummins swap into and old C3500HD makes more sense than dealing with the emissions issues of a new Ram not to mention being at least 30,000.00 cheaper.

Already did a gmt455 repower with a LBZ/4L85.
wish I hadn't sold her but it was tottaled and I need the $$$
truck and conversions would run ~20k
Down side to those 10-7.25 bc wheels

As for update.. Engine is out, stripped almost to long block... Drain 10 extremely thick quarts of oil

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
It's down to a short block...
HG where on correctly.

DS came off easier then the PS as off it never sealed. It also had alot more sludge in corresponding valve cover..

Any tell tale on symptoms of a bad head gasket? When looking at one?

Rolling the RA over didn't find any cracks in cylinder walls. Pulling pistons and crank tomorrow

clone

Yes, the new guy
Mar 15, 2015
Kansas
Any tell tale on symptoms of a bad head gasket? When looking at one?

My experience is the black coating will be missing on the gasket, "shined up" or blown out in an area. Basically just look for an area that does not look consistent with the rest of the gasket. The gasket usually shows the leak better and is easier to find than looking at the head or block.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Did the shop that did your machining plateau hone your block? It's an emissions thing and it's causing problems in marine diesel rebuilds. I just saw a cummins 350 that had that exact gouging after 30 hrs of operation, it was caused by unseated rings from the plateau hone. I figure your loading your engine just as much as in marine power applications so it could be the same issues since yours was just done...

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I'm not talking about the lines that run up and down(vertical) the wall.. Talking about the rough area that runs perpendicular to vertical lines

Plateau hone unless known as something else AFAIK no.. Since first I've heard of that type hone
Currently fighting to get my brand new melling 316 oil pump off that I red lock tite the shit out of on the nut.. And yes its left hand thread right loosey
As for rings they where resused since low milage 22k and bores wornt touched