LMM: LMM with 222,000 tear down rebuild

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Running 60-70psi oil at 2000rpm it would put oil in the coolant not raise oil level to the ball thing on dipstick

valid point. only thing not under pressure is the top of the head or an oil drain galley which still points to cracked head or bad HG then...

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Would a freeze plug do something along the line's that you're experiencing?

There's total of 4 plugs that get covered in oil.. End of each bank behind the front and rear covers.

No rust or anything on them... And coolant would go straight free flow into the oil...coolant system was pressurized when I pulled the cap

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Unless they cracked in the last 2000 miles they where both checked by machine shop and heads where pressure tested before assembly

its not the first time ive read of guys having cracked heads that were undetected by the machine shop under a pressure test. they didnt show untill the heads got hot. it is very possible they cracked now. If its the HG, i would think there was a machining issue somewhere to cause it, not the HG its self but it very well could just be a bad HG out of the box

hard to say without tearing into it and seeing personally

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
its not the first time ive read of guys having cracked heads that were undetected by the machine shop under a pressure test. they didnt show untill the heads got hot. it is very possible they cracked now. If its the HG, i would think there was a machining issue somewhere to cause it, not the HG its self but it very well could just be a bad HG out of the box

hard to say without tearing into it and seeing personally

Being the fact I have a high sail on me I haven't gone faster the 62 MPH even then EGTs are 850-900 boost 15 ECT is 195° EOT is 210-220
It's possible..... Though they could be stress cracked or just cracked.. They where milled .004"

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Man Adam I really feel for you, it's not like this is just your hobbies like so many of us... I hope that something good comes of all your troubles. I am at a lose and don't know what to say...:confused:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Thinking out loud...so of you got it up to temp and then removed the coolant reservoir cap and put your pressure tester on it and then re pressured the system, you would in theory be able to find a leak if the heads in fact are cracked but only leak when warm. Or is my thinking all wrong?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Thinking out loud...so of you got it up to temp and then removed the coolant reservoir cap and put your pressure tester on it and then re pressured the system, you would in theory be able to find a leak if the heads in fact are cracked but only leak when warm. Or is my thinking all wrong?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
No I haven't done that... Be pretty hard to do without a load on.. Have to pull engine fan off oil cooler off block radiator just to get it up 185-190°