LML Twins and Opinions

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
So just did a 1,500 mile road trip this last week through southwest Colorado mostly in Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway and Telluride. Had a lot of fun and the truck ran well but the valley turbo started making wierd noises going up and down the steep grades when using tow haul and/or the turbo break. Only happens when coasting and as soon as I apply throttle and the veins change position it goes away. Remember, this turbo was new and has already been rebuilt once by Danville after it failed at 700 miles.

Here’s a video for reference:

https://youtu.be/QG2C7EWT__k

I would be looking for an exhaust leak up to the valley charger. The drive pressure is going to the moon while the vanes are closed to operate as a brake.

It could also be the turbo but an exhaust leak would be easier to spot first.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
I would be looking for an exhaust leak up to the valley charger. The drive pressure is going to the moon while the vanes are closed to operate as a brake.

It could also be the turbo but an exhaust leak would be easier to spot first.
For sure.... sounds like a blown gasket on up pipe to me. Or cracked bellows.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
I’ll have to check it out but doesn’t make the drive leak noise any other time including WOT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
I’ll send the video to them and see what they say. Just started doing this this trip

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
So the first time my Danville turbo failed, after the stealth had failed, the compressor hit the cover I believe and seized up. They switched from the batmo wheel to their normal billet wheel when they rebuilt it. We’ll see what the cause is this time but I’d like to get it fixed before it seizes up and leaves me stranded again. Send the video to Sean at Copperhead so we’ll see what he thinks and he can talk with those guys over there.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
The stock turbo was fine, then I put the stealth 64 in and it immediately threw VPS codes and was swapped for the new Danville, that seized up at 700 miles and was pulled out and rebuilt with a different compressor wheel, and now that same turbo again is making these noises. If I have to pull this out I’m demanding money back and labor cost to put in a Dans Diesel 64 VGT. Figure I can’t be wrong 4 times.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I can’t help but wonder if you have an underlying issue. If it’s just bad luck causing 3 turbos to fail, make sure your life insurance policy is paid up lol

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
The stock turbo was fine, then I put the stealth 64 in and it immediately threw VPS codes and was swapped for the new Danville, that seized up at 700 miles and was pulled out and rebuilt with a different compressor wheel, and now that same turbo again is making these noises. If I have to pull this out I’m demanding money back and labor cost to put in a Dans Diesel 64 VGT. Figure I can’t be wrong 4 times.

I mean who else would be left, Dans/Fleece/Wold?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Damn. I think I’d put the stock turbo back in the valley until you find what’s really wrong. 3x doesn’t seem like bad luck or coincidence.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Dans diesel will be my next stop and after that I’d be wanting to go back stock or get a different truck all together.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Dans diesel will be my next stop and after that I’d be wanting to go back stock or get a different truck all together.

I really think instead of throwing more money into another turbo you need to find out if you have an issue somewhere else. Maybe a slightly kinked oil feed. Or something. I’m not well versed in turbos but I don’t believe under any circumstance that three turbos, two of which came from a company with one of the best reputations out there for them, have failed in such a short time. They have to be starved for oil for some reason or getting too hot.