LML Twins and Opinions

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
EGTs never get over 1200 for more than a second or two and that’s under near WOT. Usually just cruise around without a load. MAM has obviously had failures though he didn’t explain why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
If the stock turbo was fine, then i have to say it is either machining or a bad cartridge. I am betting something isn't quite right with the cartridge

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I still can’t help but wonder if in the switch, an oil feed was pinched or linked and starving the turbo for oil. Seems they have all failed under very low mileage conditions. Like I said I don’t know much about turbos and installs but still, worth looking at.

slowlml

Undercover Epa agent
Feb 6, 2015
Strasburg Va/Wardensville Wv
Ive wondered the same thing but when i found out sean at copperhead and james were the ones working on it that went out the window. Thats a bit of an amateur mistake which those two arent. I have nothing against mark or anyone at danvile. But Ive been hearing more and more of their turbos failing lately, specifically the lml ones.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Sean will have it Monday morning next week for a diagnosis. We shall see...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My moneys on an exhaust leak. Likely a gasket. Buddies dodge made the same sound and it was a manifold gasket, and heard a 6.7 Ford at work also make the same sound from a blown up pipe gasket.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
If the stock turbo was fine, then i have to say it is either machining or a bad cartridge. I am betting something isn't quite right with the cartridge

This is the third cartridge besides stock, and this current one is a new garret unit vs a reman or rebuilt unit.

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Sounds like you’ve got the turbo brake turned on there, and you can only hear the sound when you’re decelerating, which is when you would have more back pressure in your manifold and up pipes. Do you get the same sound when the exhaust brake isn’t activated? If not, it would point to an exhaust leak.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
To clarify, I’ve had exhaust leaks before when Ive installed an up-pipe or manifold gasket wrong on my twinned LMM and the noise would happen all the time. This truck does not make any sound like this any time, including WOT runs passing people on the highway for 10 seconds or more, unless I’ve got the turbo brake on and am downshifting. Another thing, you can also hear it sound rotational and before I shot this video I had been going down that same mountain for 10 minutes prior and could not get it to make the noise for filming purposes. It comes and goes but only downshifting down a grade with turbo brake on and maybe once without the brake on just tow haul does it make the noise.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Sounds like you’ve got the turbo brake turned on there, and you can only hear the sound when you’re decelerating, which is when you would have more back pressure in your manifold and up pipes. Do you get the same sound when the exhaust brake isn’t activated? If not, it would point to an exhaust leak.

I actually point the camera over to my rocker switches to show the exhaust brake is activated.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Exhaust leak at egr delete sounded the same on my LMM and was intermittent under same conditions for a long time before I found it...:(

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Hoping for an easy to fix exhaust leak rather than a turbo replacement.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
On a different note, when I’m accelerating hard passing people around 85-90 I start getting a vibration that goes away if I let off. It feels like it’s either the driveline as if the transmission was slipping and grabbing or the tires are shaking. Any ideas? It would be hard to film.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
On a different note, when I’m accelerating hard passing people around 85-90 I start getting a vibration that goes away if I let off. It feels like it’s either the driveline as if the transmission was slipping and grabbing or the tires are shaking. Any ideas? It would be hard to film.

Recently I have found 2 2016 trucks with bent F trim valve springs which caused similar vibrations. Fixed both of them with my new springs. The problem is when the valve spring is bent, it will bind the F trim valve and cause a partial TCC clutch apply. Quickest way to tell is to hook up a Tech 2, or in your case a laptop or a scanner that is capable of watching TCC slip. If the spring is at fault, the TCC slip will show an RPM increase from 0 slip to 80 RPM or more when the vibration occurs. Call me if you have questions.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Update: solved all my issues today with one stroke of a pen.

3d9411f91f9bb6f6d9c938e137108d4f.jpg
0dde05cab38857ac49ad7a273b1c3937.jpg
62e16666c777259f65a96f0f95be7cd1.jpg
35564b48a612b118f395bb75eabbc688.jpg