LBZ Drivers side Dipstick ??

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Why? Bending does not change length.

Sure does, take a 24" straight piece of EMT and a piece of 24" wire, then put a 45 degree bend on the pipe. The wire will no longer come flush with both ends. Apprentice electrician's find this out the hard way when measuring for wire, you add length to the wire for every bend in the run. I found out the hard way many years ago on an oil dipstick I bent to fit...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sure does, take a 24" straight piece of EMT and a piece of 24" wire, then put a 45 degree bend on the pipe. The wire will no longer come flush with both ends. Apprentice electrician's find this out the hard way when measuring for wire you add length to the wire, for every bend in the run. I found out the hard way many years ago on an oil dipstick I bent to fit...

It depends on the type of bend and how far you bend it though. Most won't put the tube in an actual bender and stretch the metal. Instead, you get the kinked up ones or wrinkled which is still the same overall length. I have not done a driver side dip stick in a truck yet but Iirc you don't add much angle into the tube cause a disagreeable amount of change in fluid height based on the dip stick

Nothing leaving the pass side in and comparing height to the driver side before calling it good couldn't fix

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
It depends on the type of bend and how far you bend it though. Most won't put the tube in an actual bender and stretch the metal. Instead, you get the kinked up ones or wrinkled which is still the same overall length. I have not done a driver side dip stick in a truck yet but Iirc you don't add much angle into the tube cause a disagreeable amount of change in fluid height based on the dip stick

Nothing leaving the pass side in and comparing height to the driver side before calling it good couldn't fix

The next one you bend mark it prior and post back what the results are. If you want I have 5 speed tube and dipstick you're welcome to try your theory on one if you want to buy it. An 1/8 difference on the dipstick in an Allison pan is how much 1/2 quart..???

Last edited:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I'm not cutting it, if it doesn't fit correctly, I'll use the new seal on the passenger tube and bend it to fit, then have Evan help me out when it's built

Mike, while your on the line. Any recommendations for what else I should do while the trans is out for the build? Seals/bearings/lubrications etc? I don't want to have to pull the trans after the fact for something I could have done then, ya know? I'd ask Evan, but he doesn't email and I hate bothering people via text cuz I know I hate receiving them lol.

Thanks for all the input on this ladies, I just realized it's a long weekend so I've stocked up on Guiness. I think I might even get a vacuum on the floors hahah

If Evan is building it it'll get all new bearings and seals

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The next one you bend mark it prior and post back what the results are. If you want I have 5 speed tube and dipstick you're welcome to try your theory on if you want to buy it. An 1/8 difference on the dipstick in an Allison pan is how much 1/2 quart..???

You are assuming the dipstick will not bend and go in straight. You're wrong.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The next one you bend mark it prior and post back what the results are. If you want I have 5 speed tube and dipstick you're welcome to try your theory on one if you want to buy it. An 1/8 difference on the dipstick in an Allison pan is how much 1/2 quart..???

I bend and fabricate tubing all the time. I have to know how much a tube "grows" in a bend and the amount of tube used to make it land where I want. It's also dependent on the type of bender you use. A typical drawn over mandrel is different than a typical die bent tube. What your explaining is a mandrel bent tube.

My tube is no shorter in a die bent bender when you measure around from the center of the bend. It's the same every time.

Now when you bend this tube like every other Joe shmoe does, you are deforming the tube to an oval, the tube isnt stretched and isn't shrunk. It will still be the same length with a sharper bend. Soon as the tube kinks and you bend it beyond that, the tube length changes.

At the end of the day, you only have some wiggle room and no where near 45* without ruining the tube. If you stay in the realm that everyone does to tweak the tube around to make work, it's not an issue based on what I'm saying

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Sure does, take a 24" straight piece of EMT and a piece of 24" wire, then put a 45 degree bend on the pipe. The wire will no longer come flush with both ends. Apprentice electrician's find this out the hard way when measuring for wire, you add length to the wire for every bend in the run. I found out the hard way many years ago on an oil dipstick I bent to fit...

I bend and fabricate tubing all the time. I have to know how much a tube "grows" in a bend and the amount of tube used to make it land where I want. It's also dependent on the type of bender you use. A typical drawn over mandrel is different than a typical die bent tube. What your explaining is a mandrel bent tube.

My tube is no shorter in a die bent bender when you measure around from the center of the bend. It's the same every time.

Now when you bend this tube like every other Joe shmoe does, you are deforming the tube to an oval, the tube isnt stretched and isn't shrunk. It will still be the same length with a sharper bend. Soon as the tube kinks and you bend it beyond that, the tube length changes.

At the end of the day, you only have some wiggle room and no where near 45* without ruining the tube. If you stay in the realm that everyone does to tweak the tube around to make work, it's not an issue based on what I'm saying

James, try the above and you'll see what I'm referring to.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I just did with a dipstick for engine oil. I moved the top just above the tab in 2" and the bottom moved 1". There is no different in green mark location.

Before
62b4ef189133ac7098a70905dd0b564e.jpg

After
436148feb6c8b4d31365d5ff5d63a9e0.jpg

Before
265e39a28f1e53e40c5d214c73725d0c.jpg

After
add4443ff87df82d8a673e01ffe702c1.jpg

I know what your saying mike but it does not apply here.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I just blew up the pictures, it has changed although negligible but still it does change. Point is one needs to be careful when bending.

Then your eyes are playing tricks on you with the picture.

We should be seeing a noticeable change based on your statement and there is nothing shown there to make any kind of change in where it will read full.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
1/64 of an inch if you measure it on the screen with a tape measure, didn't have the digital caliper, not enough to make a difference, but yes, uninformed people should watch what and how they bend it.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I run fleece performance DS tube.. wasn't 100% perfect.
Dipstick from grommet seat is less than 1/8" difference which is well within the 1/2-5/8" wide hash marks for hot/cold readings... I'm sure someone will try to nuke the crap out of what I did wrong..... Smh
Transmission still runs ~80° above ambient on the DIC.

I installed mine while engine was out..

Deep vs shallow pans changes "geometry" fluid hitting dipstick?!? Really did you forget gravity?!? And mere fact on flat ground fluid is parallel.. and could care two sheep shits what angle/shape the pan is!

Only thing really to remember.. running a deep pan make sure you have the adapter to drop the filter/pickup down towards the bottom of the pan.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona

Then your eyes are playing tricks on you with the picture.

We should be seeing a noticeable change based on your statement and there is nothing shown there to make any kind of change in where it will read full.

Keep bending it and you will see a change..:thumb: Not to mention you did not try what I had said earlier.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You have them marked wrong...:woott:

That's what it is all about, speculation of reality...:D

Exactly and I can provide the time stamp to show it. What I was going to point out is difference in angle of the picture taken that you can see using back ground things as reference to a single point on the fore front of the pic. I saw exactly what you guys saw but it did not get shorter, it got longer when you rearrange the pics correctly and in all reality, adding more bend should have made it longer based on what Mike was saying. BUT There is no change here, only a variance in my camera taking abilities which are worse than me making dinner for the wife lol

Only the pic of the green mark are reversed, not the pic of the bends.

This is the difference ins seeing what you want to see and seeing what's actually there.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I run fleece performance DS tube.. wasn't 100% perfect.
Dipstick from grommet seat is less than 1/8" difference which is well within the 1/2-5/8" wide hash marks for hot/cold readings... I'm sure someone will try to nuke the crap out of what I did wrong..... Smh
Transmission still runs ~80° above ambient on the DIC.

I installed mine while engine was out..

Deep vs shallow pans changes "geometry" fluid hitting dipstick?!? Really did you forget gravity?!? And mere fact on flat ground fluid is parallel.. and could care two sheep shits what angle/shape the pan is!

Only thing really to remember.. running a deep pan make sure you have the adapter to drop the filter/pickup down towards the bottom of the pan.

Guess the Allison engineers got it wrong then. There is a whole write up and diagram from Allison on how to make a new mark on the dipstick.
They should have contacted you first. :roflmao: