LBZ Drivers side Dipstick ??

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Took off 8 1/4" off my lml tube and lml stick. Stick is the same length now as the stock lbz one so should be good I think. I think 6 1/4" would result in overfilling.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Hey all. Sorry to thread jack, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for a dipstick.

Sucker or not, I bought the HSP dipstick shortly after my downpipe install during which I destroyed the dip stick seal/grommet. So in a hurry I just found the part from HSP and jumped on it along with the proper dip stick. I like HSP and I'm always happy to support the manufacturers we are spoiled by having on the site.

I haven't been under the truck to inspect and plan to install the driver tube, but is it as simple as it seems? Route it, secure bracket and make sure it's in the trans? Any tips or tricks would be great, I have a free hour this afternoon and don't want to start if I can't finish. Thanks, jack.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
IMO give yourself more time.

I have a fleece ds tube and it didn't fit very well, still had to rebend it to keep it away from the firewall (couldn't even get the dipstick in). I probably spent 2hrs on it, but of course the fuel lines on the trans don't help the situation.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Ok, Sunday it is then. Thanks for the honest time estimate.

Any tips or tricks for proper placement/routing? Or just however i can get it to fit. Never thought I'd have to ask about a dipstick but it seems these can be a pain.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Maybe the HSP tube will fit better? I had the best luck sliding the tube in up from underside the truck, may need to be on stands to give enough room for that (mine was already jacked up from pulling the trans)

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
If the driver's side fit like the stock passenger side dip stick you going to have fun. I had to cut about 1 inch off the bottom to get it in the trans. I even dropped the transmission cross member about an inch and it still didn't help much.

Best time to install it is when you drop the transmission.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
If the driver's side fit like the stock passenger side dip stick you going to have fun. I had to cut about 1 inch off the bottom to get it in the trans. I even dropped the transmission cross member about an inch and it still didn't help much.

Best time to install it is when you drop the transmission.

Haha I'll just have to hope for smooth install or me being inventive enough. I won't be building the trans til oct, maybe nov, but I refuse to let it leak til then

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My lml dipstick tube fit good according to Dallas S. Needed a little tweak but not much. Cleared the heat shield on the up-pipe.
8 1/4" taken off the tube and lml stick may have been a bit too much but I made the stick the same length as a stock one and my fill from empty matched what other guys with deep Allison pans took after building them.

At the end of the day as long as the same amount of stick is sticking out the tube in the pan as stock is your good to cut whatever you want off.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Any modifications to the bottom portion of the tube will throw reading off. Adding a deep pan will throw reading off because of geometry. Be carefull.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I only cut off the top. How does a different pan affect it? The valve body and where the tube goes in are still in the same place right?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I only cut off the top. How does a different pan affect it? The valve body and where the tube goes in are still in the same place right?

A deep pan will alter the geometry of the fluid level. Shallow pan is tapered and deep pan is square. You'll want a lower level on the stick.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I'm not cutting it, if it doesn't fit correctly, I'll use the new seal on the passenger tube and bend it to fit, then have Evan help me out when it's built

Mike, while your on the line. Any recommendations for what else I should do while the trans is out for the build? Seals/bearings/lubrications etc? I don't want to have to pull the trans after the fact for something I could have done then, ya know? I'd ask Evan, but he doesn't email and I hate bothering people via text cuz I know I hate receiving them lol.

Thanks for all the input on this ladies, I just realized it's a long weekend so I've stocked up on Guiness. I think I might even get a vacuum on the floors hahah

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
A deep pan will alter the geometry of the fluid level. Shallow pan is tapered and deep pan is square. You'll want a lower level on the stick.
Are you talking about the level when the oil is circulating in the pan changing because of the different design?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm not cutting it, if it doesn't fit correctly, I'll use the new seal on the passenger tube and bend it to fit, then have Evan help me out when it's built

Mike, while your on the line. Any recommendations for what else I should do while the trans is out for the build? Seals/bearings/lubrications etc? I don't want to have to pull the trans after the fact for something I could have done then, ya know? I'd ask Evan, but he doesn't email and I hate bothering people via text cuz I know I hate receiving them lol.

Thanks for all the input on this ladies, I just realized it's a long weekend so I've stocked up on Guiness. I think I might even get a vacuum on the floors hahah

I would not bend the tube, when you do the dip stick will not be accurate.