N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
after 99 posts, it must be said...

Dipstick.jpg

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Guess the Allison engineers got it wrong then. There is a whole write up and diagram from Allison on how to make a new mark on the dipstick.
They should have contacted you first. :roflmao:

As smart as they are... Seams the forgotten basic 4/5th grade science class pertaining to fluid in an open container..
Fluid will ALWAYS be level to the ground regardless what shape the container is under said fluid level. As long as volumes for both pan and fluid remain constant.. changing either or both can result in raising/lowering fluid level... Temperature change excluded.

Only way to change the geometry of fluid to dipstick is to change the angle of which dipstick hits fluid, be it either independently from the case or by moving the whole case and dipstick together, off parallel plane to the fluid..

Nice job complicating something more than needed

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I gotta agree with Adam here. I just don't see how it makes a difference whether you have the stock pan or a 5 gal pail under it. The stick is still in the same spot. Only difference is volume.

Unless like I mentioned earlier, the turbulence in the pan changes thus changing the fluid level on the stick when you check it at idle. Think garden hose into a dog dish vs a full 5 gal pail at the same flow and pressure. If this is the case then I can see why it would be different.

As far as a slight tweak in the tube changing the length and throwing the level off get a grip. Do you put a level on your truck to make sure it's perfect before you fill and when you check it? Do you drive on only perfect level roads? No. Those factors will throw it off 100 times more than a slight tweak in a tube.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
You guys are forgetting that it's the expansion rate of the fluid that makes all the difference......

More fluid means more rise in level as it heats up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
You guys are forgetting that it's the expansion rate of the fluid that makes all the difference......

This, when I went to a deep pan, I was uniformed of the lower level needed, I over heated my trans. When I had it at the top of cold at 70 degrees, the trans was above hot at 210 and tried puking fluid.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

I believe I said "Temperature excluded" which regardless has little to do with dipstick/fluid intersection geometry when everything is done at same temperature whether that's hot or cold.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
This, when I went to a deep pan, I was uniformed of the lower level needed, I over heated my trans. When I had it at the top of cold at 70 degrees, the trans was above hot at 210 and tried puking fluid.
I filled mine with my Allison deep pan to about half way in the good on my lml driver side stick in my shortened and slightly tweaked tube. No issues. 22 L to fill to that level. Guess I got lucky?

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I filled mine with my Allison deep pan to about half way in the good on my lml driver side stick in my shortened and slightly tweaked tube. No issues. 22 L to fill to that level. Guess I got lucky?

This was on my 5 speed before it was built, this LMM was where is was supposed to be and it did run around 10-15 degrees hotter, after a couple spin on changes it was below normal and runs cooler.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I believe I said "Temperature excluded" which regardless has little to do with dipstick/fluid intersection geometry when everything is done at same temperature whether that's hot or cold.
Oh. Could be. Honestly I didn't read through your responses. My bad. Lol.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
We'll isn't that why your supposed to check fluid level at operating temp lol. It should be the same on the stick. You bonus more fresh fluid from deep pan, not a head ache of how to check it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Does anyone know if someone makes a "short" dipstick, that would be accessible under the truck?

Or if not, if cutting a tube to do such a thing can be done or the wise was of it

I haven't begun the install of the driver side tube yet, but I'm sick of tracking down things that rub and resonate. A short stick would remove a potential resonance issue entirely. Or maybe I'm just making stuff up

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
just plug it up. No one needs to check their level... just ask FORD why they did away with the dipstick on my wife's POS Exploder?! :roflmao:

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Does anyone know if someone makes a "short" dipstick, that would be accessible under the truck?

Or if not, if cutting a tube to do such a thing can be done or the wise was of it

I haven't begun the install of the driver side tube yet, but I'm sick of tracking down things that rub and resonate. A short stick would remove a potential resonance issue entirely. Or maybe I'm just making stuff up

I cut mine down. Just need to measure everything properly so the dipstick is accurate.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Ended up finally getting to the dipstick yesterday after changing out my brakes. Went pretty smoothly, had a lift to use. Only thing I had to do was unclip the fuel lines to get the dipstick tube sitting right. I could not fasten the top bracket, but not worried about it.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Bumping this. I only took 4.25 off my lml tube. Dipstick protrudes the same amount as it did on the lmm tube. It is odd that there are several different numbers floating around now.