L5P L5P Tuning

Aug 31, 2018
I’m new here, been doing some reading. This is my new truck provided by work.
27b27eed137c6f14ede08d96ee3f1356.jpg

Sounds like the turbo is gonna be the choke point on these. That being the case, if no engine parts are going to be swapped, is it worth waiting for the ecu to be cracked? Or give it some breathing treatment and go with the derringer? Seems like the only one worth considering at the moment.
Any thoughts?

Also should I be thinking about tranny upgrades first, or are these pretty solid units?

Thanks in advance
Dan

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
From my knowledge, danville has a turbo that they have been working on to take care of this coking point. They are needing some test trucks. If you’re serious about doing some mods to the truck I’d give them a call and talk to them about their turbo.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I think it will be tunable, but the final $$$$ cost and final flash process may turn a lot of people against even bothering with it............mostly IMHO due to the cost of tuning it.

There are reported issues with these ECM's failing and Injectors failing on the L5P, the Turbo is completely different in the way its being controlled, and all the other modules have to all be happy and play nice with it.

I can imagine GM employing all kinds of cross checks that may limit the ability to really get these to tune the way older models do...........by allowing other modules to limit the power, and we still need TCM Tuning as well, that will be the next step.

I can see a modest power increase with deletes being the norm, and higher HP builds being less common, the LML's can make decent power, but will never make anywhere near the power an LB7 does.

The LML code is too complicated and convoluted to really make decent gains, IMHO.........even 7 years later they still are a disappointment compared to the previous models.

The fastest and most powerful Dmax trucks are all older LB7's with a few LLY and LBZ models or powered by stand alone ecu's.

I am sure we will see some kind of tune available in the next 6 months or so...........and then we can see how quickly GM reacts to it, if they even care.........LOL

I’d be content with stock power delete tuning at this point. Someone makes that possible and they will make a fortune. For a while at least....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aug 31, 2018
From my knowledge, danville has a turbo that they have been working on to take care of this coking point. They are needing some test trucks. If you’re serious about doing some mods to the truck I’d give them a call and talk to them about their turbo.

Thanks, I will.
I’m a little far from Indiana, not sure if that matters.
But I can’t help myself, I mod pretty much everything I own...

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
THe thing that I don’t get is that everyone is saying that the epa is cracking down on deleting diesels and stuff. So why aren’t people having the same issues with fords and fiats? You can delete both of them, the day that Kory got his hands on the new f150 with the diesel in it he posted a video of it doing a burnout with it deleted. To me that just doesn’t add up.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Deleting the truck for his personal use or R&D is a bit different than releasing the tuning to the public. I can almost bet there are a few guys who are toying with the delete tuning but are keeping it hush hush for obvious reasons.

maxxer442

Jan 11, 2010
I don't think it's the epa so much as copyright laws that pertain to the tune itself. Probably both, but I'm sure the lawyers are ready.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I can assure you it’s the EPA, they personally visited the shop just down the street from me... Didn’t sound like it was a nice visit.

colehenry97

Aug 9, 2014
What is the point in flashing a stock tune and what is this going to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
If they can do stock files, it's only a matter of time till they can modify them. There in the ecm. That's a stepping stone in it self.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
If they can do stock files, it's only a matter of time till they can modify them. There in the ecm. That's a stepping stone in it self.

Exactly. It's not like they can figure out the tuning over night. Will take months of bata testing and live tuning. I'm sure learning how to tune these is a whole new ball game.