L5P L5P Tuning

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'll believe it when someone is selling it, OR when we see a deleted truck do a power run. It would be nice if it is true...

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

He posted on facebook he had cracked it and everybody called BS because there was no video. Now theres a video and everybody is calling BS on it just like he said they would months ago if a video got posted. Maybe he really did figure it out, or maybe it's like the guy attacking him on facebook said, he's not the 1st and it won't work everytime, who knows, we'll have to wait and see. It does seem odd he said 30-60 days 3 months ago, all we get is a video of a read and flash, and now the video won't play(or he got tired of being attacked in the comments).

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Every time someone cracked into a new ecm and actually did it, they showed it in the truck and the power differences on a dyno. At this point, if what he says is true, put a damn tune in it and show the new power output. If all he can do is flash but can’t tune it or anything else, he’s accomplished nothing. No one wants to flash a stock tune or blank file or what ever junk he has going back and forth in the ecm, the point is to change the factory parameters.

The flaming is warranted imho. Don’t come out saying your the first to do something with half the product not finished

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Every time someone cracked into a new ecm and actually did it, they showed it in the truck and the power differences on a dyno. At this point, if what he says is true, put a damn tune in it and show the new power output. If all he can do is flash but can’t tune it or anything else, he’s accomplished nothing. No one wants to flash a stock tune or blank file or what ever junk he has going back and forth in the ecm, the point is to change the factory parameters.

The flaming is warranted imho. Don’t come out saying your the first to do something with half the product not finished

Is this SR research? If so they aren’t tuners, they don’t know what to change. Maybe the ecm isn’t capable of being flashed in the truck. They changed the tune and flashed it in. Did it work? Why would someone go through that much trouble to make a video.

I do know it is being worked on. There will be tuning available, but the time frame is not known.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Is this SR research? If so they aren’t tuners, they don’t know what to change. Maybe the ecm isn’t capable of being flashed in the truck. They changed the tune and flashed it in. Did it work? Why would someone go through that much trouble to make a video.

I do know it is being worked on. There will be tuning available, but the time frame is not known.

Whether they purely only build the tool to flash or not, it’s half finished. The only way anyone will know it worked is by changing a bit or hex in the program, flashing it and then scanning the ecm for said changed bit or hex, otherwise, how did you know anything you did made a change? They show none of this. You don’t have to be a tuner to do that and they certainly can figure that out easy enough If they hacked into it.

I’ll never say it can’t be done but showing a video like that proves nothing and leaves the door open for exactly what happen

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Whether they purely only build the tool to flash or not, it’s half finished. The only way anyone will know it worked is by changing a bit or hex in the program, flashing it and then scanning the ecm for said changed bit or hex, otherwise, how did you know anything you did made a change? They show none of this. You don’t have to be a tuner to do that and they certainly can figure that out easy enough If they hacked into it.

I’ll never say it can’t be done but showing a video like that proves nothing and leaves the door open for exactly what happen

I thought he did change a part of it, it looked like. But I don’t know much about hex or programming. And who knows if it did actually change something.

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
Am I the only one that is kinda hoping tuning doesn’t happen on these trucks. That a way there not as popular and the price will be right when I’m ready to buy one. :cool2:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Am I the only one that is kinda hoping tuning doesn’t happen on these trucks. That a way there not as popular and the price will be right when I’m ready to buy one. :cool2:

The amount of people that tune there trucks is probably 1%

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
^^ that was kind of my thought too. How easy it would be to spoof this. Just flash another truck that is not an L5P and have the program say it is

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I think it will be tunable, but the final $$$$ cost and final flash process may turn a lot of people against even bothering with it............mostly IMHO due to the cost of tuning it.

There are reported issues with these ECM's failing and Injectors failing on the L5P, the Turbo is completely different in the way its being controlled, and all the other modules have to all be happy and play nice with it.

I can imagine GM employing all kinds of cross checks that may limit the ability to really get these to tune the way older models do...........by allowing other modules to limit the power, and we still need TCM Tuning as well, that will be the next step.

I can see a modest power increase with deletes being the norm, and higher HP builds being less common, the LML's can make decent power, but will never make anywhere near the power an LB7 does.

The LML code is too complicated and convoluted to really make decent gains, IMHO.........even 7 years later they still are a disappointment compared to the previous models.

The fastest and most powerful Dmax trucks are all older LB7's with a few LLY and LBZ models or powered by stand alone ecu's.

I am sure we will see some kind of tune available in the next 6 months or so...........and then we can see how quickly GM reacts to it, if they even care.........LOL

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
I’m happy to finally see some progress forward
As far as ease of tuning and $$$ all we need is time and patience...
Playing my n64 yesterday compared to my PlayStation 4 I got a sense of how far we have come in 20 years!
:thumb: