LB7: IHI Port/Polish

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It looks to me like the wheel has come into contact with the intake housing.:mad:
The wear on it looks very strange in how the material has been removed from the wheel itself; granted I haven't seen many turbo failures but still odd.

When you're rebuilding the one on the shelf just take your time. Lay out the bearings/seals like they came out of the center section. You'll need a small pair of snap ring pliers in removing those small snap rings.

Good luck :thumb:

Yellowchevy

James,

It was great to talk with you lastnight, sorry we got off topic and talked more about building engines than ported/polished turbos, haha.:D
I was glad to hear you like the turbo and is work well for what you wanted it for. Keep us updated on how she pulls the trailer :thumb:.

Yellowchevy

No biggy Russell. theres alot in these damn motor builds :D. it was great chattin with you as well!

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Well I got another turbo ported/polished this weekend/beginning of the week. Again it turned out but this one got some paint on it :D. I think the paint job turned out really good and I hope the new owner really likes it. :thumb:

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• IMG_6748.jpg
    IMG_6748.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6749.jpg
    IMG_6749.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6754.jpg
    IMG_6754.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 88

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Well I got another turbo ported/polished this weekend/beginning of the week. Again it turned out but this one got some paint on it :D. I think the paint job turned out really good and I hope the new owner really likes it. :thumb:

Yellowchevy
Looks great Russ but im not so sure about the green:joker:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I put this post over on duramax forum yesterday and thought I should put it over here being it pertains to my process & tools/materials I use.

I always use double carbide burr bits to remove all the major material. You'll want to use different shapes as well.

For shapes you'll use the egg/oval ones the most because they work for many positions/angles. The cylindrical ones with rounded ends work well for doing nice square/straight holes; I use them a fare about. Tree style you'll use if you have them but I would prefer the flame style; much easier to use and more useful. I don't use the ball ends that much but there are situations where they're worth it and other styles wouldn't work as well. I use the tapered ones with the rounded end from time to time as well.

You won't use many if any long ones but they're nice to have once and awhile.

I generally just use 1/2" diameter ones but very rarely will I need a 1/4" or 5/16" one.

For flap wheel if you can find 2" & 1" diameter ones with 40 grit to start after removing most material that would work the best; once you've removed most material you'll have some grooves/uneven marks that you'll need the flap wheel to smooth out. I've only managed to find 60 and 80 grit ones, they'll work but but a 40 would be nice.
Once everything is smoothed out with the 60 grit then you'll move up to the 80 grit to finish it off.

For tools I only use a dewalt electric die grinder, it works really well and doesn't weigh much. I need to get the larger one so it can hand more pressure so I can remove the material fast .

You need to be very careful when you're around the up pipe bolts so you don't dig into the threads, I did that to the first one and now have to weld it up because you leak exhaust gases out that hole.

I home that helps and I didn't get everybody too lost.

Yellowchevy

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
I finished up my stocker today and I think it turned out pretty well. Im planning on install this week some time. I rebuilt it and ported and polished it and installed a batmo.
Thanks for all the info.

Attachments

• 20130629_123405.jpg
    20130629_123405.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 20130629_123356.jpg
    20130629_123356.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 20130630_184057.jpg
    20130630_184057.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 20130630_184530.jpg
    20130630_184530.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 20130630_195725.jpg
    20130630_195725.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 138

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I finished up my stocker today and I think it turned out pretty well. Im planning on install this week some time. I rebuilt it and ported and polished it and installed a batmo.
Thanks for all the info.

i like the harbor frieght turbo spacer :D :hug:

Bear9350

May 23, 2013
Thanks for all the info.

Looks good. I just finished painting mine the same colors this weekend. Used the Fire Proof black on the exhaust side and just high temp black on the compressor side.

When you guys are pulling the wastegate off, can you pull the rod out by hand. I have two wastegates here. The first one is all rusted and beat up and I can pull the rod out a little by hand. The other looks like it is in a lot better shape but I can just barely get that one to move a little if I pull on it. Wondering which one I should be using. I cleaned both of them up and painted them with the rest of the parts. If nothing else I will compare it to the one currently on the truck when I do the swap.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So here is my update from the weekend pulling brians truck up to ABQ.

its guestimated the truck on the trailer was right around 8-9k, the trailer by its self is by no means light and had been "beefed up" by the owner to put heavier hauls on it.

So this all took place with multiple 6% up hill grades with elevation change from 1200ft to 6500ft and heat ranging from 113* to 90*. off the bat, i cant say i notice any better spool up from 55mph at 1400rpm, 5th gear, TC locked. It seems to act really close to a stocker but with a crap ton more whistle. i though i was just hearing the 475 till we rolled the windows down up in payson (yeah, we though 95* was cool compared to 113* lmao). Nope, that damn batmowheel is as loud as my 475. its cool to hear them both start singing.

As far as EGTs are concerned as to compare from before. It seems i dropped 100* or so pulling the hills in temps close to what i hauled the toyhauler empty in. as long as it was 105* or cooler, 5th gear would take me up any hill at 1150* or less. As soon as we hit the wall of heat (110* and more) or were leaving out of it, my truck HATED it. Oil temps sky rocketed to 275* at points, Water temp was 240*, trans was around 220* and i was down to 3rd gear pulling hills at 50mph with the fan wailing. turning the A/C off helped some but once it had gotten hot, there was nothing i could do. EGTs would rocket to 1300 way too easy unless i had this motor turning 2600rpm or more. Ive really got to put a little scoop on the front oil cooler, i think its missing half the air it could be getting. Concidering i going right back up the same way in two weeks, i should be able to see if i see a difference by doing that. it was just bad and i felt bad for the old girl.

So overall, im damn happy with the turbo. I only saw gains out of it and after this weekends thrashing on it towing, it was definitly proven to me lol. there were also quite a few WOT runs with the trailer on the back passing on them 2 lane roads and racing a few guys with trailers back to the hotel :D. Guess the truck is a bit scarry at night when both turbos light and all you see is the headlights twist up, two off pitch turbos whistling and having this bad boy come flying up on your ass pretty fast :roflmao: (this what i was told by a few people hehe)

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks for all the info.

Where did you buy rebuild parts from??

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
What special tools are required to perform this removal? :D

I think the wheel will need balanced now

I got really pissed and took the cut off wheel to it. :mad: It's getting a batmowheel so no worries there. But I did bend/cut the turbine wheel so it needs to be replaced.

Don't worry, it won in the end being I grenade'd my 2 torque bits trying to remove the back of the compressor cover. I had to stop by the tool store after work yesterday and buy me some grey pneumatic torque bits. :thumb: I may have gotten some of those knipex cobra pliers that Vinny loves so much.:D I was going to get those nice Germany screw drivers but I had to stop. :mad:

Yellowchevy