LB7: IHI Port/Polish

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Is the 366 as rough as the ihi? I haven't seen one in person. It took a lot of patience its still not perfect either. But I am happy with it. I am ready to get it back together, this is like waiting for Christmas when I was a kid.
I also need to find someone to balance. Might hit up Mark once again.

They're not quite as rough as the IHI's but they're not smooth.

I sent you a PM about balancing as well:thumb:

Yellowchevy

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
My 366 that russel has is extremely rough. In anxiously awaiting his results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Looking at the above post about balancing.. I never balanced my ihi when i put it back together and its been just fine for over a year now.. enlighten me on the balancing part??!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Looking at the above post about balancing.. I never balanced my ihi when i put it back together and its been just fine for over a year now.. enlighten me on the balancing part??!

Depends what kinda wheel you got I guess. There were some cases a ways back where people would just throw on a batmowheel and make it a couple hundred miles before it imploded and spit metal into the boost tube.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Couldn't ask for better advice and help. I know I can be a pain sometimes. :rofl:

You're not a pain Greg, you've just got questions.

Superswamper003,
All turbo components are individual balanced so you can theoretically assembly and have no issues. But, everything has a tolerance so they're not perfect. With that said, if you so happen to align those tolerances/offsets up just right, your rotating assembly could/would have a lope and not rotate true. This can lead to premature bearing failure or worse case wreck you turbo.

When they balance an assembly they do each part by itself, then the complete rotating assembly.

Yellowchevy

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
a4ec20eb92b1cf66ce94266f5688798d.jpg

8cc0480198c76989cb726ec535c5ab78.jpg

8de81d7221633bf6683375f6f63afb13.jpg

Almost there time for a little machine work and send off for balancing and it will be ready for assembly. :)

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Where did you get the rebuild kit in The third pic is that what g pop shop offers
Na man, support a vendor. Give yellowchevy a hollar. He is the guy doing all the port and polish and testing. He can get you almost anything. Plus you get amazing tech support. Top it off I'd Def say he is one of the most down to earth guys I've ever talked to. if I had an LB7 I'd deal solely with him

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Thanks for the kind words guys, it means a lot!!!
Here's how that 366 turned out for those interested. I've just got the final compound to put on now.
Before
71a31c4bb3508012ed18b4662dcc969d.jpg

After
0fb4ae32daad94a6a16d57b06bb9eca5.jpg

Yellowchevy

Last edited:

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Mothers on a buffing wheel did wonders for me! Mothers is good sh!t lol. I did this yesterday and you can see yourself in the reflection. Nice work Russell the 366 looks as bad as the ihi from the picture.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Yup, you'll be getting mine too when I'm ready to build :D

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Mothers on a buffing wheel did wonders for me! Mothers is good sh!t lol. I did this yesterday and you can see yourself in the reflection. Nice work Russell the 366 looks as bad as the ihi from the picture.

Just Curious, how much time do you have into your cover?
Did you remove ALL of the rough casting?

Mothers is that last thing I use; easy to get, easy to use, and it give very good results. I have great luck with a very gritty liquid compound on a buffing wheel before using mothers. I think the IHI is worse being it has more nooks and crannies!!! This is why I like painting them, even if its just spray paint, haha.:D

Yellowchevy

Last edited:

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I removed all the casting with a flap disc on a 4" grinder. I have gotten pretty good at this cause I buff stainless after welding it at work. The surface has to look as though it was never cut or welded. Its a brushed looking stainless so the brush marks have to line up as well.

Also, it took me an hour to get a majority off with the flap disc and the dremel. And total about 9 hours sanding and polishing. Yesterday I polished with a buffer. So total around 12 hours, but my downfall is im a perfectionist lol.

My biggest problem was when I would steel wool some parts would shine like a mirror and other parts would be dull. Never did figure out why. So that was time consuming cause I would sand it and go back over with the wool.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I removed all the casting with a flap disc on a 4" grinder. I have gotten pretty good at this cause I buff stainless after welding it at work. The surface has to look as though it was never cut or welded. Its a brushed looking stainless so the brush marks have to line up as well.

Also, it took me an hour to get a majority off with the flap disc and the dremel. And total about 9 hours sanding and polishing. Yesterday I polished with a buffer. So total around 12 hours, but my downfall is im a perfectionist lol.

My biggest problem was when I would steel wool some parts would shine like a mirror and other parts would be dull. Never did figure out why. So that was time consuming cause I would sand it and go back over with the wool.

I did the same, 60 grit flap wheel on a grinder followed by a die grinder to get the smaller area's. I then hand sanded the whole thing to get a smooth profile like you said, if you don't the polishing shows every imperfection, haha.

I didn't get all the rough casting off due to only having one way of polishing, but I got 95% of it. We'll see if it's except able for clrussell.

I've gotten good with flap wheels as well with all the years of using them, haha.

Yellowchevy

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I'm more than happy how it turned out, can't wait to get it home and on a truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Are you guys clear coating these after you polish so they don't suffer from oxidation?