Info: How to Build a 10 Second Dmax:

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
It looks like i'm going to need about a 765 tune with no cage. Does anybody want to share :hug:

This is some good stuff keep it coming

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
actually i am serious,i feel very certain i can back up my statements,can you.simple question how many 10 second passes has casper made?how many 10 second passes have other known dmaxes made?i expect casper has made a dozen or so and as far as i know the rest is a very short list.i also never said the extreme was the best in my opinion i do feel it is but i simply said it is a good option.and finally the not trying anything else what makes you say that.we have tried other flavors even those loved by this site.it was a smooth drive with great responce and perfect tranny shifts,but was still .3 tenths slower than the extreme in the 1/4.this was apple to apple tuning ie... also one more question why do you you mention the 120 mph in the 1/4 what is the problem with that?

First, let me say that I respect what you have done with Dmaxes. You are truly an asset to the Dmax community, and I love reading your posts.

But as a racer, you know everyone has a different opinion. ;)

IIRC, we made about ten 10-second passes at Texas with thousands watching.

I used to recommend the TTS Extreme to lots of folk, as well as the TTS exhaust, and the TTS lift pump. I'm pretty good at separating the parts from the person. There are folk I really like, but their parts suck, and vice-versa.

I no longer recommend the Extreme simply because of what I've seen with my own eyes in my area. There are better tunes out there now.

bigbird

Sep 18, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
What do you man by, "full trim"? To get mine to 6850 I had to take off some stuff including the extra battery, spare tire, tailgate and back seat. I weighed mine on the scale at Redding with me in it, and it was 6850. I weigh about 200. I had a big fuel tank however.

As it drives off the lot. no extras added.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Looking over my slips and weights:

8.5lb/rwhp = 10.9
10lb/rwhp = 11.8
13.5lb/rwhp = 12.9

So my guess is that to run a 9.99 in our trucks, I'll need just over 7lb/rwhp.

But that's just a guess. For now.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
First, let me say that I respect what you have done with Dmaxes. You are truly an asset to the Dmax community, and I love reading your posts.

But as a racer, you know everyone has a different opinion. ;)

IIRC, we made about ten 10-second passes at Texas with thousands watching.

I used to recommend the TTS Extreme to lots of folk, as well as the TTS exhaust, and the TTS lift pump. I'm pretty good at separating the parts from the person. There are folk I really like, but their parts suck, and vice-versa.

I no longer recommend the Extreme simply because of what I've seen with my own eyes in my area. There are better tunes out there now.

we can all agree there was a bench mark for LB7's in TTS's canned tunes but when everyone who either ran in the 10's or close to it was breaking planets atleast every other event something else had to be tried.

Thanks Pat for writing this up, I know it took 10's of thousands of dollars to figure out what works and what doesn't all I can say is thanks.

Last edited:

MadMaxRacing

Jul 5, 2008
Not hardly. I shit canned mine and had Tony write me a tune. I am quicker now and my trans actualy shifts without falling on its face with Steve's dreaded 3-4 tie up that breaks planets.
What kind of times were being turned with the TTS AND Tonys tune?Anyone thats been around during the lb7s days know that TTS has had the best track times of any programmer.There are some really great tuners out there now with EFILIVE and some really fast trucks that use it,but I still believe TTS is the best for me.I'm all about going faster.If someone would like to send me a tune that can out perform what I have now I'm game to try it!!!!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
What kind of times were being turned with the TTS AND Tonys tune?Anyone thats been around during the lb7s days know that TTS has had the best track times of any programmer.There are some really great tuners out there now with EFILIVE and some really fast trucks that use it,but I still believe TTS is the best for me.I'm all about going faster.If someone would like to send me a tune that can out perform what I have now I'm game to try it!!!!

Well then by all means stick with it.

But "one-size-fits-all" tuning doesn't. To get the most out of your combo, you need to spend time on the dyno. There is no shortcut. And if you can't adjust anything, you will not get the max output.

It's hard enough to go fast as it is, without tying your hands behind your back in the tuning area. I have dozens of tunes for my truck, based on what I'm doing. We saw in Colorado what happens when you have only one tune, and the track conditions dictated a change was needed. I could change, the competition could not. They lost.

MadMaxRacing

Jul 5, 2008
The"one-size-fits-all"as you like to call it has been proven over the years.Just as you stated it takes "time" and money to get the most out of a truck,but to just go out and buy a canned tune theres not been any more ANY quicker then TTS for the lb7!!! Pat,what you and others have done for the duramax community is priceless to say the least and I know you will continue to break new ground in this area .Thank you for what s been done (I'm sincere about this).All I'm tryin' to say is "SOUP" started this meal and continues to still be competitive in drag racing and sledpullin' .All the others are deserts in my OWN opinion...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

The best I ran was 13.8. Steve said I couldn't drive so I let the asshole run it twice against Guy. Guess what? Guy cleaned his clock twice. And what did Steve run in my truck with his tune? 13.8 I sold the extreme to one of my customers for 600.00.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The"one-size-fits-all"as you like to call it has been proven over the years.Just as you stated it takes "time" and money to get the most out of a truck,but to just go out and buy a canned tune theres not been any more ANY quicker then TTS for the lb7!!! Pat,what you and others have done for the duramax community is priceless to say the least and I know you will continue to break new ground in this area .Thank you for what s been done (I'm sincere about this).All I'm tryin' to say is "SOUP" started this meal and continues to still be competitive in drag racing and sledpullin' .All the others are deserts in my OWN opinion...

It's always good to get different opinions.

As to how the latest TTS tune fares against the latest crop of EFILive based LB7 tunes, that will always be up for conjecture. I know the "old" one is no longer competitive. I had a trade-in ECM last year that was a TTS-locked Extreme, which is useless to me since I can't reflash it. So I sent it to an LB7 guy back east to compare it to various tunes on the dyno. It came in 3rd or 4th? Both the PPE Hot +2 and EFILive tunes had more HP, but the biggest difference was area-under-the-curve, or average HP.