Info: How to Build a 10 Second Dmax:

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Here's the exact build for Casper when it first broke into the 10's:

Mike L Allison with 1057 converter and CoPilot
Fully built SoCalDiesel LLY/LBZ engine, ported heads, cam, HS springs, studs, cut and coated pistons.
A/C delete, 1 battery removed, PCV catch can.
Stock injectors, PPE Dual Fuelers with one LLY and one LBZ OEM pump.
PPE GT4202R turbo kit
4" open exhaust, no headers, side exit.
5" custom intake made by PPE.
Front suspension, SD centerlink/sleeves, stock shocks.
Rear suspension, long leaf + overload, stock shocks, Caltracs.
Rollbar, race seat, 5-pt harness.
Rollpan, no rear bumper.
EFILive tuning written by myself for both engine and transmission, with tech support by Guy Tripp.

I think that's it?

Big cam smalll cam med ?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Here's the exact build for Casper when it first broke into the 10's:

Mike L Allison with 1057 converter and CoPilot
Fully built SoCalDiesel LLY/LBZ engine, ported heads, cam, HS springs, studs, cut and coated pistons.
A/C delete, 1 battery removed, PCV catch can.
Stock injectors, PPE Dual Fuelers with one LLY and one LBZ OEM pump.
PPE GT4202R turbo kit
4" open exhaust, no headers, side exit.
5" custom intake made by PPE.
Front suspension, SD centerlink/sleeves, stock shocks.
Rear suspension, long leaf + overload, stock shocks, Caltracs.
Rollbar, race seat, 5-pt harness.
Rollpan, no rear bumper.
EFILive tuning written by myself for both engine and transmission, with tech support by Guy Tripp.

I think that's it?

lift pump and fuel rail shim:)

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Anyone know what an 02 crewcab shortbox weighs in full trim?

Mine weighs in at about 7100 lbs street trim, with me in it around 7300 lbs.
I do have heavier parts that I cannot remove, like the Federico Sway Bar kit.
I drop the gate, spare tire and that's all, my race weight is usually between 7000-7100 and runs 12.6's.

actually i am serious,i feel very certain i can back up my statements,can you.simple question how many 10 second passes has casper made?how many 10 second passes have other known dmaxes made?i expect casper has made a dozen or so and as far as i know the rest is a very short list.i also never said the extreme was the best in my opinion i do feel it is but i simply said it is a good option.and finally the not trying anything else what makes you say that.we have tried other flavors even those loved by this site.it was a smooth drive with great responce and perfect tranny shifts,but was still .3 tenths slower than the extreme in the 1/4.this was apple to apple tuning ie... also one more question why do you you mention the 120 mph in the 1/4 what is the problem with that?

Was this a recent test ?? Care to elaborate ?? If not I understand .

You're talking with everything still bolted on? Hitch and all? Just figure 7000lbs with a half tank of fuel as a general starting point.

Jess, I thought you guys were running a "special" Extreme program to do what you've done? Even though the standard Extreme that was available was a very good high-perf program, I didnt think it was setup to handle a 10-sec truck. IIRC, Tony had to write a special program to get Keiths truck to go that low...it wasnt the regular Moonshine.

Keep in mind that most of the people that migrated here arent exactly Cole-friendly..the opinions will reflect that.

I don't know what they run, but in order to get 9's out of anything it won't be off the shelf, IIRC Steve has been to NC a bunch of times tuning it custom from posts I have read. Perhaps some on track tuning is all that is needed ??? I know I got Ed Waynes truck to pick up 3/10th-4/10th with a little work at the track a month or so ago, he is running 6.89 in the 1/8th.

What kind of times were being turned with the TTS AND Tonys tune?Anyone thats been around during the lb7s days know that TTS has had the best track times of any programmer.There are some really great tuners out there now with EFILIVE and some really fast trucks that use it,but I still believe TTS is the best for me.I'm all about going faster.If someone would like to send me a tune that can out perform what I have now I'm game to try it!!!!

On my truck I am 2/10ths-3/10ths faster with my own tuning than I was with the TTS when I last ran it on 2005.

blue68383

Shooting for 11s
May 15, 2008
CA
The best I ran was 13.8. Steve said I couldn't drive so I let the asshole run it twice against Guy. Guess what? Guy cleaned his clock twice. And what did Steve run in my truck with his tune? 13.8 I sold the extreme to one of my customers for 600.00.

You sold it to my brother. He has a Mcrat tune now:D

bonescarolfi

Sep 3, 2008
Marshfield WI
I used to run a bullydog programmer which was okay starting out but in hindsight a waste of money. I was looking at tts or ppe but after looking into efi live it was the obvious choice to go with since no matter what u do to the truck from mild street truck to full out competion 1000 plus hoere u can tune it to match exactly what u have and when u get more money to buy hard parts u can easily re tune. It may take more time to tune but in my eyes its was worth every second of staring at my laptop and test driving. I would recommend it to any duramax owner.

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
Pat , when you mention cognito do you mean their hd tierods wont hold up? I dont have any 1st hand experience but damn those things look huge on the site .

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Pat , when you mention cognito do you mean their hd tierods wont hold up? I dont have any 1st hand experience but damn those things look huge on the site .

I think he is referring to the Cognito braces. I correct myself if I'm wrong when he gets home tonight.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

That might be the case but a Centerlink and Tie Rod sleeves are all that Casper has and he runs 10's so they aren't worth the time and money

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
thanks for the imput everyone ;) this is exaclty why I come here . fast responce to the point .