Half ton thread

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Hell I didn't know that. No wonder they push e85. Do would your everyday grocery getter run better on e85 or does the vehicle have to specifically be able to run it or call all gassers run it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
With diesels, detonation doesn't really hurt it because at that kind of compression that's all it really is doing. E85 is around 98-105 octane depending on alcohol content, and is about the same price as unleaded 87. This is all new to me. Plan is to yank the engine and Trans out next weekend.

Diesel doesn't detonate like gas, you generally can't get it to do so without lots of nitrous and lots of fuel at a very wrong time.

Don't forget the cooling affect e85 has

Only issues with it is you need decently larger injectors than normal fuel would use, all the rubber in the fuel system needs to be set up for the fuel and your fuel tank will empty out much faster than reg gas. That's half the reason I didn't e85 my samurai. Even had a station 10 min from the house and she wild have made some POWA!

In brians race application, it makes lots of sense though

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Diesel doesn't detonate like gas, you generally can't get it to do so without lots of nitrous and lots of fuel at a very wrong time.

Don't forget the cooling affect e85 has

Only issues with it is you need decently larger injectors than normal fuel would use, all the rubber in the fuel system needs to be set up for the fuel and your fuel tank will empty out much faster than reg gas. That's half the reason I didn't e85 my samurai. Even had a station 10 min from the house and she wild have made some POWA!

In brians race application, it makes lots of sense though

All correct info and I have some more to add to it as I love E85! I had a tahoe 5.3L that was an Flex fuel and had all the bolt ons and geared up. The E85 only tuned was worth about 30hp at the tire and fuel mileage sucked but didn't give two shits about that because it ran like a raped ape and E85 was cheap! The sweet part of E85 is 85% Ethanol and 15% unleaded gas so you can't drink it(True story!), so it will keep your motor much cleaner internally when burning it which is a big plus! Also with E85 you have to run it at a much richer air/fuel ratio because of how quickly it burns so you don't damage the motor. On a normal gas motor you want to keep the air/fuel ratio at WOT to hang in the 13.2 all the way down to 10.x depending on power level and if you are boosting it. E85 needs to be down around 9.0 air/fuel ratio to be happy. It also keeps temps down while at power which is a big plus. I would love to convert my GXP to E85 but I'll wait till it gets turbo charged to make that change. Should be fun Bri!:thumb:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
E85 is good stuff. I run it in my boosted RZR. One big downside though is it doesn't like cold weather starts...

It loves timing advance and compression. And it definitely loves boost. :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LBZ1991

Nov 21, 2014
Winfield, MO
Make sure you test it at the pump first. We have a few stations around here that sell crap e85. I run it in my derby motor mainly for the cooling and it's way cheaper than 110.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
What is your plan for the rear axle and suspension?

Double adj QA1 or Viking shocks, Caltracs, and a shock relocation kit so back shocks are both on rear side of axle. Ill buy a locker for it as well. If/when it grenades, who knows.

Make sure you test it at the pump first. We have a few stations around here that sell crap e85. I run it in my derby motor mainly for the cooling and it's way cheaper than 110.

Planned on it, but also have access to VP C-85 as well.

Summitlly

Motorsport Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2013
MI
That 10bolt is gonna hate you!! Haha! I had a 90 1/2 ton 4x4 that I put a 468 in. It was more of a sand toy but ran it on the streets as well. I put a mini spool in it and gave her hell! I was surprised it took what it did.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
KB racing single s480 with 4" intercooler. Stock truck manifold on driver side. Edelbrok pro flow cast intake manifold.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Turbo manifold showed up.

For exhaust post downpipe, Im going to try and stuff the Tig'd 5" from UDP from my race truck under the little single cab... not sure if it will fit, but would love to have a part of the old race truck on the new one :D

Last edited:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Turbo manifold showed up.

For exhaust post downpipe, Im going to try and stuff the Tig'd 5" from UDP from my race truck under the little single cab... not sure if it will fit, but would love to have a part of the old race truck on the new one :D

Why not go with the trick cast manifold?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Washed 247k miles of road grime off of the half ton, and tore the engine out today. Progress!!

Last edited: