Half ton thread

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
For what he's running, I don't think he will be running a stock regulator. I wouldn't be

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
:)
Well dropped off the engine at the machine shop for a build..

Went to a 402 stroker, Lunati crank, Callies rods, forged pistons and VVT delete. 212/218/113 cam from Isky, PCR .650 dual springs, comoly pushrods, head and main studs, new water pump, TCI flexplate and ATI balancer. I didn't want to bore the block because of how little cylinder wall thickness is there to begin with. I also am having the machine shop install piston cooling jets that steal oil from the mains and have a drilled passage in the block to the cylinder. need to keep the pistons happy as well as me :roflmao:

Motor is a little overkill, but that's what I want. :spit: Get it back around Christmas ;)

What compression sense it's going to be a 365ci now. What pistons and rods you going to run?

Current compression is 9.6:1 it will have LS9 headgaskets to drop right to 9.5:1

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Motor should be ready to pick up in 2 weeks, just after new years or so. waiting on a few small parts to arrive and everything should be ready to go.

Also ordered a Jakes stage 3 TH400. :woott:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Brian I have to admit I think you may be on to something here... All these broken d-max cranks got me thinking similar thoughts.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I had very good luck over the years with all of my dmax trucks and after I spent the money on arias pistons, wager heads and injectors I asked myself wtf I was doing. I had no problem selling everything and having fun with something different.

The new motor is a 6.6L just will run on Ethanol lol

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Brian I have to admit I think you may be on to something here... All these broken d-max cranks got me thinking similar thoughts.

My LS2 is looking better and better
Might be time to find a cheap single cab to gut and toss it in

I don't even want to drive my truck now
Sure I beat on it, but I've never had a money pit like this truck is...its more like a money black hole

Still, it has an addictive lure

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I'm debating selling mine. All the mods as is and getting into a higher milage halfton chevy/gmc. I could pay off alot of stuff with the left overs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
How easy is it to swap a V8 into a V6 truck? I can find some nice V6 RCSB for a decent deal and am looking into them now. Or is it easier to just start with a V8 truck.

I know there were a few comments on this, but it really is basic white girl bolt together to swap them. My shop partner and I built this one a few years ago (it's looking rough now, getting bodywork/paint this winter). It was a manual everything, V6, 5 speed WT. Bought a smashed loaded ECSB, 5.3, auto donor and swapped the whole drivetrain and interior over. I fabbed three things on it: exhaust (no cats and put a factory Duramax exhaust on it because they sound awesome on LS engines), dropped the front frame horns for the HD bumper and the frame notch. Everything else was bolt on. Ended up making money on the truck, parted what was left out for more than what we paid for both trucks, including buying the HD front clip.

It's getting a big single, manual VB 80E swap, 4 link and coil overs all the way around this winter, plus rust repair and paint.

Brian gets a thread hijack because this is the first time I've seen this thread after we talked about it weeks ago. :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm just now looking at this thread for the first time, but I wanted to give my two cents worth. I'm about 2 hours from Jake's and had read all about how he's the man to go to for a built 4L80E. I told him exactly what planned on doing and how much power I was going to be making, and I bought all the parts he recommended and had him assemble it. After all that, I had nothing but problems out of mine for the first year I raced. It was at his shop getting fixed more than I was racing it. For the next year I decided to build it myself and bought a transbrake valve body from Rossler. I never had a problem after that for two years of racing, and when I pulled it apart to inspect it after two full years of racing, the clutches looked great. The intermediates were just a little dark, but there was no hot spotting on the steels. The rest of the clutches looked brand new. I see you already ordered a TH400 from Jake, but I just wanted to share my experience. Hopefully you have more luck out of your transmission than I did.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I tried to recommend he talk to you when he first mentioned Jake's b/c I remembered you had issues but I guess he never did... They do have a lot of transmissions out there so I assume they all aren't problematic like yours was, Josh. Hopefully this 400 works out. I'm anxious to see how things turn out with this build.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I tried to recommend he talk to you when he first mentioned Jake's b/c I remembered you had issues but I guess he never did... They do have a lot of transmissions out there so I assume they all aren't problematic like yours was, Josh. Hopefully this 400 works out. I'm anxious to see how things turn out with this build.

if it doesnt, ill be sure to give him a whole lot of shit :angel:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
They do have a lot of transmissions out there so I assume they all aren't problematic like yours was, Josh. Hopefully this 400 works out. I'm anxious to see how things turn out with this build.

That's what I thought too. That's why I kept giving them the chance to fix it, but I kept getting the same results.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Gasser putting 500ft/lbs thru a trans is a little different than a diesel putting 1200ft/lbs thru one. ;)