Drag racing help, time slips included

Jacy_dzlguy

lots to learn...
Aug 27, 2011
South Florida
ahhhh these threads wana make me go throw up... My truck has the parts for 700 hp but it only ran a 15 at the track. it should be running in the 8s. IF IT DOSNT HAVE THE POWER IT JUST DOESNT :spit: and my tuner is better then yours Thats like when you were in second grade and said "my dad is stronger then your dad":eek: This forum was the only decent one left now i guess were just screwed on finding any real knowledge :( Anyway,Thanks for your time! :thumb::D

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Sorry this thread wasn't supposed to turn into one of these threads, I just can't stand when someone says "your truck should be this fast because mine was xxx fast". But they don't take into account the density altitude of 7100 which is probably one of the highest tracks in the nation, the track prep isn't the greatest, and my truck isn't tuned to go super fast simply because I don't want to blow my motor.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
WOW!! This was a good laugh reading back through the sidetracked thread

Sorry this thread wasn't supposed to turn into one of these threads, I just can't stand when someone says "your truck should be this fast because mine was xxx fast". But they don't take into account the density altitude of 7100 which is probably one of the highest tracks in the nation, the track prep isn't the greatest, and my truck isn't tuned to go super fast simply because I don't want to blow my motor.

I don't think it's the "your truck should be this fast because mine was xxx fast" that raised the red flags...it's when guys that are clinging to big dyno numbers that don't come close to running relative track times.

All I know is my cp3 only held 21kpsi at the track on the big tune, must be my tuner's fault... :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
What I'm saying it people aren't thinking that maybe 7100 da and crappy track prep has something to do with it??? I'm sure at sealevel the truck would be 12's easy.

Yes it should be, doesn't mean it will be, but should be, seems like you need to get off the plateau and get into some more dense air, or run twins up in that higher elevation to try and capture more oxygen

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Best advice you'll get. Practice and lots of it.

Yep, I ran my twins last night, mph was 2-3 more in the eigth but 60 sucked. Being 2wd tire # and traction bar setup all factors in. It takes time to get it right, practice and dont get down on your luck if something doesn't go right.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm confused, but what's new. Reason why is, on an LBZ, 550whp CAN be made on the stock turbo and injectors...while its more common or typical to see 510-530whp, 550 can and has been done, it's not impossible
Do people not learn reading comprehension anymore?

Why do you keep using the excuse of altitude and track prep? Trap speed isn't really affected by poor track prep or a bad launch unless you launch way under the charger and it bogs really bad off the line. You can see your 60' and ET varies quite a bit, but your trap speed is very consistent. That is what makes it such a good indicator of hp. You are at 7100', or whatever you claim to be at, making 550 hp. If anything, you should run faster with 550 hp than someone at sea level because there is less air resistance.

red1977

Nov 15, 2010
Ogden Utah
I agree with josh. Trap speed is the best way to figure hp. I dyno'd 535 and trapped 105.2 which is like 520hp. It's funny how guys read stuff on here, order a bunch of parts and throw shit together and expect the tuning to b spot on the first trip around the block. Some of these young pups need an old 70's hot rod with a carb and see how long it takes to get the combo setup right. Nowadays if the tuner doesn't get it right the first time u flame him on the Internet. Rob has always fixed any issue I've had. Patient goes a long ways:thumb:

I'm sure you talking about me about it not being right the first time. Maybe take some time and read what I post the first time was with the truck was throwing maf codes and him telling me it was not in the tuning. It was in the tuning I and another tuner fixed it so it would run with out putting the truck in limp mode because the maf was not tuned for a 5 inch intake. I sent Rob logs today will see what happens. Yes I need a cp3 but when I was running a stock charger the truck would hold 18,000 psi and ran faster on a 3200 pw then the 466 and a 3250 pw from Rob and rail pressure holding at 18,000 psi it runs slower. He had more then one chance to get it right with the maf but it wasn't in the tuning is all he said. I'm giving him a chance again will see what he says. I would love to post the logs for you on here but then that is looked down on by tuners to.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Do people not learn reading comprehension anymore?

Why do you keep using the excuse of altitude and track prep? Trap speed isn't really affected by poor track prep or a bad launch unless you launch way under the charger and it bogs really bad off the line. You can see your 60' and ET varies quite a bit, but your trap speed is very consistent. That is what makes it such a good indicator of hp. You are at 7100', or whatever you claim to be at, making 550 hp. If anything, you should run faster with 550 hp than someone at sea level because there is less air resistance.

So tell me if dynos are so inaccurate, how can someone determine what trap speed is what hp??

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So tell me if dynos are so inaccurate, how can someone determine what trap speed is what hp??

I never said dynos are inaccurate, but I do believe that chassis dynos with big correction factors are inaccurate. What were your uncorrected dyno numbers? I bet they are very close to what the hp calculators say your truck is putting down for your trap speed.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I never said dynos are inaccurate, but I do believe that chassis dynos with big correction factors are inaccurate. What were your uncorrected dyno numbers? I bet they are very close to what the hp calculators say your truck is putting down for your trap speed.

Ohh I gotcha, idk what my I corrected numbers are, but I would say 510ish for my 550 dyno run. When I say my truck made 550 on the dyno, I mean its 550 at sea level, not at this elevation. At the track my truck is 510 ish, but at sealevel it would be around 550 ish wouldn't you agree? Man I hate Utah haha

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I'm sure you talking about me about it not being right the first time. Maybe take some time and read what I post the first time was with the truck was throwing maf codes and him telling me it was not in the tuning. It was in the tuning I and another tuner fixed it so it would run with out putting the truck in limp mode because the maf was not tuned for a 5 inch intake. I sent Rob logs today will see what happens. Yes I need a cp3 but when I was running a stock charger the truck would hold 18,000 psi and ran faster on a 3200 pw then the 466 and a 3250 pw from Rob and rail pressure holding at 18,000 psi it runs slower. He had more then one chance to get it right with the maf but it wasn't in the tuning is all he said. I'm giving him a chance again will see what he says. I would love to post the logs for you on here but then that is looked down on by tuners to.

Hey it's the Internet u can post whatever u want. But the amount of threads flaming tuners or tuna wars is unreal. If someone doesn't get their way they post it on the Internet crying. What happens when u go to macdonalds and get the wrong order? The next time u go to Hardee's and try them out. If someone didn't get my shit right and they had more than a few opportunities to correct it and didn't I would go somewhere else. I'm beginning to wonder if every kid that had a Honda civic with a fart can now owns a duramax.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Man just run it and practice. Dont get all swoll up over dyno this and dyno that. Log it and practice. Just be happy that a heavy truck runs that good. The faster u make it the more money u spend, remember that.