Converter lock up WITHOUT a lock up box

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
That worked for you? Just disabling it? Mine ran like crap when I just disabled it. It would lock barely going and be a slug.

Yes I disabled it and it works flawlessly. Part throttle driving is no different than stock, put the pedal to the floor and it start doing exactly what its supposed too. Do the 05's have different tcm os's? Or were they all the same? If they had different ones, you may want to try mine and see how it is. It works perfectly.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
So does the TCM allow for lockup only under wot conditions? Or does the converter lock up all the time no matter the throttle input?

Playing with the idea of tweaking the TCM once I build the transmission, but as the truck is used as a dd and I only get to the strip every second Friday, I don't wanna make it a pain in the ass or irritating to drive with the family in it those times when I'm just running errands.

Maybe I've missed something? I'll try rereading the thread.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
It is all in the tcm tuning as to where and when it locks. It is tuned stock to lock in 2nd at wot, but as we all know that doesn't happen usually. With this new tuning it will lock when it is told to, so wot in 2nd. Just like a lockup box. Normal driving doesn't change.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
So does the TCM allow for lockup only under wot conditions? Or does the converter lock up all the time no matter the throttle input?

Playing with the idea of tweaking the TCM once I build the transmission, but as the truck is used as a dd and I only get to the strip every second Friday, I don't wanna make it a pain in the ass or irritating to drive with the family in it those times when I'm just running errands.

Maybe I've missed something? I'll try rereading the thread.

Even though your tcm tune is calling for lockup, that might not happen. If it sees tcc slip speed over a certain rpm it wouldn't lock up regardless with out a aftermarket box in the past. This new update gives you the table to modify refernce of tcc rpm slip. So you still set the other 3 parameters to whatever you want to achieve a good lockup for your own preference... This new table just makes those actually work!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
If only my trans shifted as nicely on the other 5-speed OS's as it does on '5854.... :(

Ive been running a slightly newer 5-speed OS, to test out these lockup tables...yes, they work great, I really like it....its the way the TCM should have been programmed from the factory (but at the same time I dont blame Allison for doing it that way; they put those TCC protection tables in there mostly for driver comfort and to protect TCC life to some extent)

.....but my 3-4 shift is crap on all OS's except '5854.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
If only my trans shifted as nicely on the other 5-speed OS's as it does on '5854.... :(

Ive been running a slightly newer 5-speed OS, to test out these lockup tables...yes, they work great, I really like it....its the way the TCM should have been programmed from the factory (but at the same time I dont blame Allison for doing it that way; they put those TCC protection tables in there mostly for driver comfort and to protect TCC life to some extent)

.....but my 3-4 shift is crap on all OS's except '5854.

X2 Ben, I'm sticking with the 5854 OS as any others give me bad flares between 3-4 and bad hesitation on the 1-2 shift. The 5854 cleared that up real nice. Shifts perfect and no hiccups whatsoever now. O BTW dark green wire pin 15 on C1 connector was the issue I was having the other day! Everything is working properly on both those LLYs. Thanks :thumb:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My OS is 6784, it seems to shift perfect on all shifts. I increased all WOT rpm shift to 3700, left the 1-2 and 4-5 shift mph stock, but increased the 2-3 and 3-4 mph up proportionally and it seems to click the shifts off flawlessly.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Yes I disabled it and it works flawlessly. Part throttle driving is no different than stock, put the pedal to the floor and it start doing exactly what its supposed too. Do the 05's have different tcm os's? Or were they all the same? If they had different ones, you may want to try mine and see how it is. It works perfectly.

I'm not sure if there are different OS's for the 05's or not but I put the tune on (disabled) after work and made it about 10 miles and had to pull over. It was locking up just cruising and was a smokey slug

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I'm not sure if there are different OS's for the 05's or not but I put the tune on (disabled) after work and made it about 10 miles and had to pull over. It was locking up just cruising and was a smokey slug

That is very odd. Mine does nothing like that.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
That's the most common bad shift

Doesn't help the tranny is on it's way out...and I decided to start running built tunes before building it:spit:

Hope to have the trans built in a couple weeks. All the parts are here now, so I'll see what happens after and see about getting some TCM tuning as well to compare with.

I'm assuming I'll still have the flare even after the build though, and that it is because of the OS my truck is running, nothing else.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
That is very odd. Mine does nothing like that.

I tried it again, just disabling it, drove to work just fine but as I logged it, it never locked until higher gears. For now ill use my home made $15 lockup up switch lol. Until I get time to go to the track and play with it more.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
It does work great but I'm definitely keeping my lockup box. There's times I like to lock it under part throttle or unlock it for a second or two to light the charger in higher gears.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
It does work great but I'm definitely keeping my lockup box. There's times I like to lock it under part throttle or unlock it for a second or two to light the charger in higher gears.
I didn't buy mine for this reason but I use my lockup box the most unlocking at 55 so I can pass a car without blacking out the highway.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
So are all these updates available through efi live to the public now? I've been jumping Kory for the last couple months and the last email I got was he was having problems with it locking all the time when commanded, they were still sorting out bugs. This is on a 6 speed.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
So are all these updates available through efi live to the public now? I've been jumping Kory for the last couple months and the last email I got was he was having problems with it locking all the time when commanded, they were still sorting out bugs. This is on a 6 speed.

Keep me posted. I was gonna fire him an email about this. If he's having issues, I'll wait until he has it worked out.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Keep me posted. I was gonna fire him an email about this. If he's having issues, I'll wait until he has it worked out.

Just go to radio shack and get you two switches and some wire and you can build your own lockup switch. I do like how we are able to do it in tuning now but it doesn't seem reliable yet like a lockup switch