Converter lock up WITHOUT a lock up box

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just so we are on the same page Mine has never no matter which tune I run had an issue with WOT shifts, it's the part throttle easing around town or slowy accelerating up to hiway speed shifts that I hate and maybe thats because I drive like you lol. I flog the shit out of mine atleast once or twice everytime I take it into town I get a couple good flogs heading back to the house. Now the 01 OS never gives me issues with either and I don't use the T/H method either.

try the 02 for shits and giggles. might work out for ya.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
I sent willie a pm, he was gonna get ahold of ya! Figured I'll give them a try. I mean, what better way to celebrate my trans build, right?! I'll leave it in willies hands :thumb:

MD_Max

Need More LLY's
May 2, 2014
Lets get this conversation going again it's been awhile since it's been released. How's everyone liking it at the track?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't been able to get mine to work. I've tried disabling the TCC Apply Slip Inhibit option, bumped my TCC on ramp rates way up, and tried raising the TCC apply inhibit limit values, and can't get it to do anything consistently.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Mine works like a champ. I haven't touched my lockup box since the day I flashed the new tcm tune in. I can run the exact same times with the tcm tune vs with the lockup box. Works perfect every time, all the time.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mine works great! I had flashed a non lock up setup tune in to try and fix another issue I was having and I hated not having that lock up. There were time at partial throttle (about 2/3-3/4 throttle) where I'd expect the stock non lock up to hit like lock up tune and it would way later than usual. Flashed the lock up tune back in and she works much better

MD_Max

Need More LLY's
May 2, 2014
Sounds good guys. Going to go ahead and get my tuner to write me a TCM tune instead of buying the lockup box.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
So I just got done installing my new converter. Truck sat for the weekend with batteries unhooked..long story short, went for the test drive earlier tonight and everything was good, put the pedal to the floor and the trans would not shift properly, would sit there like it hit a Rev limiter then buck a bit and finally make the shift, converter also couldn't make up its mind if it wanted to stay locked or unlocked...

Pulled out the v2 and reflashed the tune and now it is all better...weird. Now on to the point of this post..

got looking at the slip inhibit function and have been wanting to compared lock up with the function disabled vs enabled but raising the slip up to 3000+ rpm. I've been running the tcm tune with the function disabled all together for months and it works good. You get lockup but it felt a tad late still. So I enabled the function and raised the slip to 3100 rpm...all I have to say is it is MUCH better. Lockup happen immediately when it is supposed to this way. I should have done this long ago.

Last edited:

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
So I just got done installing my new converter. Truck sat for the weekend with batteries unhooked..long story short, went for the test drive earlier tonight and everything was good, put the pedal to the floor and the trans would not shift properly, would sit there like it hit a Rev limiter then buck a bit and finally make the shift, converter also couldn't make up its mind if it wanted to stay locked or unlocked...

Pulled out the v2 and reflashed the tune and now it is all better...weird. Now on to the point of this post..

got looking at the slip inhibit function and have been wanting to compared lock up with the function disabled vs enabled but raising the slip up to 3000+ rpm. I've been running the tcm tune with the function disabled all together for months and it works good. You get lockup but it felt a tad late still. So I enabled the function and raised the slip to 3100 rpm...all I have to say is it is MUCH better. Lockup happen immediately when it is supposed to this way. I should have done this long ago.

Thats good info. I only tested it briefly since I have a lockup box that works perfectly, and could ever get it to lock as fast, always felt like it was later than it should be. I will test that out.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Thats good info. I only tested it briefly since I have a lockup box that works perfectly, and could ever get it to lock as fast, always felt like it was later than it should be. I will test that out.

I may have spoken too soon, my converter wants to keep unlocking with the slip function enabled raised to 3100 rpm. I switched back to "disabled" and so far so good but I think im done testing for the night, I've been bombing up and down the highway...people might start asking questions at 1am:D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I too have noticed some minor quirks with this...it seems to take some fiddling with the tables to make it work...and sometimes it still gets delayed a bit. :confused:

Certainly way better than stock, but "something" still seems a little off. And my favorite slick-shifting 2001 OS isnt supported. :(