Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Finally got time to throw the old girl on the rack. Went over her top to bottom and to make the race I’ll need to:

Make an adapter for the Anderson 5th wheel hitch
Clean air filter
Oil change
Rear differential oil changed
Fuel filters
Tcase oil change
2 cv axles (boots are torn)
Couple seals for the tcase
Fan for my fuel cooler
Overloads for my leafs
possibly an a/c compressor, it’s leaking out the nose of it
Get the Interior aftermarket gauges working and install a new egt gauge
New pads and rotors on front

While it was on the rack, I greased it all up, zip tied up some parts, added 1/4” more preload to the coilovers to get ride height back up, scraped the flaking frame coating off and hit it with some flat black, topped nitrogen off in coilovers, pulled the underhood insulation off (it’s ragged, need to find some new stuff) and cleaned up the lift kit drop brackets, steering drag link and tie rods, coilovers, UCA, axle wrap bars, drive shaft, the 483 compressor cover, intercooler tubes and the dual fueler wheel.

No pics sadly. Really didn’t look like I did much.

That will get me started and knock a good chunk out of “to-do’s”. Then it’s on to interior parts and bumpers

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Finally got time to throw the old girl on the rack. Went over her top to bottom and to make the race I’ll need to:

Make an adapter for the Anderson 5th wheel hitch
Clean air filter
Oil change
Rear differential oil changed
Fuel filters
Tcase oil change
2 cv axles (boots are torn)
Couple seals for the tcase
Fan for my fuel cooler
Overloads for my leafs
possibly an a/c compressor, it’s leaking out the nose of it
Get the Interior aftermarket gauges working and install a new egt gauge
New pads and rotors on front

While it was on the rack, I greased it all up, zip tied up some parts, added 1/4” more preload to the coilovers to get ride height back up, scraped the flaking frame coating off and hit it with some flat black, topped nitrogen off in coilovers, pulled the underhood insulation off (it’s ragged, need to find some new stuff) and cleaned up the lift kit drop brackets, steering drag link and tie rods, coilovers, UCA, axle wrap bars, drive shaft, the 483 compressor cover, intercooler tubes and the dual fueler wheel.

No pics sadly. Really didn’t look like I did much.

That will get me started and knock a good chunk out of “to-do’s”. Then it’s on to interior parts and bumpers
Sucks that ac compressor was brand new lol

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’m not surprised. We have the same issue at work. Factory compressors, napa, 1800 radiator, fmp, parts authority, car quest. You name it, it’s luck of the draw if they last like they should.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
James, what kind of fuel cooler? Is it just a factory unit that you want to add a fan too?

Is the EGT sensor replaceable or is part of the gauge assembly?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, what kind of fuel cooler? Is it just a factory unit that you want to add a fan too?

Is the EGT sensor replaceable or is part of the gauge assembly?

It’s a stack plate b&m one off jegs, nothing special. Had a cheap 1000cfm fan on it that died finally on Anthony. Really brought temps down. Stock cooler is still in place too. It’s ran off the return side so fuel is cooled going into the tank and the lift pump cycles it’s returning fuel through it.

The end of the probe connector going into the gauge had a pin fail when Anthony and I were putting the gauges back in the truck so he was gracious enough to get me another. Autometer wouldn’t sell just the probe .

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
It’s a stack plate b&m one off jegs, nothing special. Had a cheap 1000cfm fan on it that died finally on Anthony. Really brought temps down. Stock cooler is still in place too. It’s ran off the return side so fuel is cooled going into the tank and the lift pump cycles it’s returning fuel through it.

The end of the probe connector going into the gauge had a pin fail when Anthony and I were putting the gauges back in the truck so he was gracious enough to get me another. Autometer wouldn’t sell just the probe .
I wanted to add something inline. I don't even have a lift pump but the heat at the fuel filter pump after it has run a little while has me concerned.

Thats what I was afraid of, it not being a separate piece that was serviceable.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lots of maintenance on the old girl today. Still not ready for our trip yet though.

Changed the front pads and rotors out for a set of car quest severe duty pads (rep was pushing me hard to try them and they are free so fuck it) and napa cr rotors. Rear got pad slapped with the same severe duty pads. I tried to find rotors for the SSBC big rotor kit Anthony put on a week or so ago but couldn’t come up with a rotor that fit after taking measurements. Today, I had the bright idea to “look for a part number on the rotors”. Sure as shit, found one and found the rotors are off a 2000-2001 Chevy workhorse chassis. Sum bitch… oh well, maybe down the road I’ll change back to them. For now, I’ll run the stock stuff. Had to change the caliper bracket out to run the stock stuff as well.

1efd405f7af8bff7d5061f80e5ca4261.jpg

Then pulled the cv axles out to re-boot them. Both outers were re-booted years ago and they started splitting again so went ahead and did that. Cv’s are still in great shape so no sense throwing Chinese ones in.

095ea67346fc4f59669ae7c96211ddd2.jpg

Changed the engine oil and filter, changed the trans spin on, changed the air dog fuel filters and then pulled the front driveshaft to try to seal up the encoder motor. It had a slight drip to it. Little rtv around the shaft seal area and good to go. Cleaned and regreased the front driveshaft splines while it was out too. Then changed the tcase oil and pulled the rear driveshaft so I could change out a weeping output seal. Next I dropped the spare tire (she balder than me) and put on a good used 37 I had taken off when I did all 4 tires.

I still have to put overloads back in the rear end, mount the 5th wheel hitch, and after started up, I noticed a whine from the engine compartment. Found the larger plastic idler pulley I put in. 4-5 years ago has the bearings going so I’ll get a new one and put it on. It “should” be ready for a 6 hour tow to Barstow after all that. I’d sure as hell hope so anyhow.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Those OEM CV's?
Have you ever put any TrakMotive CV's in any lifted trucks?

Sure are. 250k and counting lol.

No and after a few Toyota friends of mine have tried them along with my enquiry to them, I don’t think I ever will.

So I talked to them about 2-3 years ago as I was looking for a cv solution for the tracker (it had 86-95 Toyota cv’s in it). I wanted a better outer cv with a stronger cage as the stock Chinese ones would blow under heavy pedal and turning. They basically read out of the hand book about the material being better than stock but would not tell me what material. They also run 8 balls and not 6 which means less material for the cage so I didn’t go that route. Fast forward a year and a couple Toyota buddies tried them. They hate them. You can hear them clunk around corners and when the suspension compresses. Like it’s a LOUD clunk too, sounds like shits binding but we think it’s the center slip binding some and then releasing finally from slip pressure.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Sure are. 250k and counting lol.

No and after a few Toyota friends of mine have tried them along with my enquiry to them, I don’t think I ever will.

So I talked to them about 2-3 years ago as I was looking for a cv solution for the tracker (it had 86-95 Toyota cv’s in it). I wanted a better outer cv with a stronger cage as the stock Chinese ones would blow under heavy pedal and turning. They basically read out of the hand book about the material being better than stock but would not tell me what material. They also run 8 balls and not 6 which means less material for the cage so I didn’t go that route. Fast forward a year and a couple Toyota buddies tried them. They hate them. You can hear them clunk around corners and when the suspension compresses. Like it’s a LOUD clunk too, sounds like shits binding but we think it’s the center slip binding some and then releasing finally from slip pressure.
Well that's too bad. I see them pushing them alot in various advertising lately. Wasn't sure if they were any good. Guess now we know. I saved a set from the doner truck I bought but they need new boots. 217K miles... LOL