Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I just find it odd that none of the others were no where near as bad as cyl 5. Everyone that i see usually has multiple that arw decently bent

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Holy sheet :eek:mg:

Yeah, still think its a stuck injector? Lmao

scary shit there buddy, at least your on the road to redemption. :D

Yes sir justin! Problem is, after what i just put down for new furniture and the garage remodel, i have to wait on the machine shop. Not lookin like ill get it back runnin till the end of january :sad:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So im sittin on the fence now. I meed atleast one piston but i like to over build shit (desert racing trait that just wont leave me). I want the motor to last for 100k but we all know want and will usually dont go hand in hand. So im trying to figure out if i should go with aries pistons or regular cut amd coat stockers. Obviously anything can happen but as a whole, are aries looked at more for the hp range above mine? Id do the aries but i dont want to change my rings every year based on how much i drive. Is this way over kill? Those steel pistons wont happen as i dont have the coin for them though id do them in a heart beat if i could.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Mahle performance pistons?

Coating or no coating? Ive seen cast Mahle's that are cracked, and also seen coated cast Mahle's that were cracked. Im not really sure that it helps as much as we think.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Motors

I AGREE! It's still a cast piston. They will only hold so much before there done. If you truely want 100k then you probably need to take your chances with them. I think the Arias will go 25k between rings and be good. If it's mostly hwy miles I don't see that as a problem with them. Jeff

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mahle performance pistons?

Coating or no coating? Ive seen cast Mahle's that are cracked, and also seen coated cast Mahle's that were cracked. Im not really sure that it helps as much as we think.

True. What was the "idea" behind coating the piston? Were any test
done to see if it helped or was it just recommened?

I AGREE! It's still a cast piston. They will only hold so much before there done. If you truely want 100k then you probably need to take your chances with them. I think the Arias will go 25k between rings and be good. If it's mostly hwy miles I don't see that as a problem with them. Jeff

I think your right jeff. Ill just have to keep the power down till i feel i can pay to play this game more or something affordable comes out as a replacement. This goin almost a year without a truck is not fun

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
So im sittin on the fence now. I meed atleast one piston but i like to over build shit (desert racing trait that just wont leave me). I want the motor to last for 100k but we all know want and will usually dont go hand in hand. So im trying to figure out if i should go with aries pistons or regular cut amd coat stockers. Obviously anything can happen but as a whole, are aries looked at more for the hp range above mine? Id do the aries but i dont want to change my rings every year based on how much i drive. Is this way over kill? Those steel pistons wont happen as i dont have the coin for them though id do them in a heart beat if i could.

I like a fresh set of cut, uncoated, LB7 or LLY pistons.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I like a fresh set of cut, uncoated, LB7 or LLY pistons.

That brings up the next question. What is differnet in a set of used pistons (from the same motor going back in the same motor) vs a set of new pistons? Has the metalology changed over use? Do hairline cracks occur?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
James, if it was me, id rather have my truck down a few more months and have a fresh set of pistons in it. at 160k, your pistons have had abuse, and I dont think we need to be pulling the engine next year from a possibility of a failed piston. JMO. :hug:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
That brings up the next question. What is differnet in a set of used pistons (from the same motor going back in the same motor) vs a set of new pistons? Has the metalology changed over use? Do hairline cracks occur?

IMHO who the f**k knows LOL... Guys are cracking brand new cut and coated cast pistons at fairly low HP numbers then Dmitri is a great example, he has taken used pistons with 100,000+ miles on them cut them and not used coating and has made well over 1000hp with DDing a lot. I would not be worried about running used pistons

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Also I would try to stay away from valve reliefs if I could. I saw an entire set of stock cut pistons with reliefs cracked. One completely failed and split right down the middle. The other seven had small cracks starting in the valve relief where it meets the bowl. I know if your changing the cam you going to need reliefs. This engine saw lots of drag strip abuse at 850 RWHP and then a handfull of passes with nitrous finished it off. The owner knew it was coming.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, if it was me, id rather have my truck down a few more months and have a fresh set of pistons in it. at 160k, your pistons have had abuse, and I dont think we need to be pulling the engine next year from a possibility of a failed piston. JMO. :hug:

But just like nick points out brian, new ones could do the same. I cant wrap my head around buying a new set unless there is some definitive fact that say they are better than used and if that difference between new and used is that big

IMHO who the f**k knows LOL... Guys are cracking brand new cut and coated cast pistons at fairly low HP numbers then Dmitri is a great example, he has taken used pistons with 100,000+ miles on them cut them and not used coating and has made well over 1000hp with DDing a lot. I would not be worried about running used pistons

I know! Thats what i dont get!

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I'm going to run fingers piston design. I have a good idea what cut stockers will take and I cant see his design being any weaker, if anything there is the chance of them being stronger. I put alot of thought and time into what piston I wanted to run and it kept leading me back to his.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm going to run fingers piston design. I have a good idea what cut stockers will take and I cant see his design being any weaker, if anything there is the chance of them being stronger. I put alot of thought and time into what piston I wanted to run and it kept leading me back to his.

Thats what im thinkin but they are still new and i just dont know about that bowl design. I know fingers has his shit figured out and is muuuuuuuch smarter than me but i just have some reservations about them for some reason

Very true. If the pistons looked like #7, I would have no problem reusing them :D

Lol come lok at them now. I think you might be surprised. Little brake cleaner and they look all the same