kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state
Can you get a forged piston with tighter wall clearance and run good set of rings to get mileage out of them? I know if it gets too tight when it heats, that is usually the culprit to cracking them. I been thinking and researching quite a bit lately. I have two engines torn down in my shop and the one i just pulled from teh truck is getting a high mileage stocker thrown in and gonna run that motor till my build is done. Already did this once but the power I put down in the truck is just breaking these stock pistons. Its getting old quick. Would love to see more updates on ur build James.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I think you can run a slightly tighter piston to wall clearance on Mahles vs. Arias, Ross, etc. I can't comment on the strength of one vs the other as I have no first hand experience. As far as rings it might not be possible to get super high mileage out of a set of rings on these pistons. They don't have a hardened ring land like cast pistons do, so I think you have to run a (softer?) ring to prevent the ring lands from getting beat up. I am kind of curious how the steel pistons will work out. I have no doubt someone will correct me if my logic is flawed. :) So James, how is the build going?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I wouldnt think you gain that much more mileage even with tighter clearances. Your rings will stil wear since you have to run softer ones. Id much rather take the chance of crackin a piston than having to re-ring every year. That or ill just turn tthe power down. Maybe by then (if it happens) the steel pistons wont cost as mich as my whole motor build and i can put a set in

Im pretty much ready for the machine shop but its on hold till after i get my settlement from my accident back in july of this year and after i buy christmas gifts.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Finally got some pics for you guys.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323187661.145394.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323187661.145394.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 177
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323187680.616623.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323187680.616623.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 147
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323187713.594617.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323187713.594617.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 143

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
It's actually not out of my truck, it was a customers 04 topkick with a hung injector and had possibly hydro locked.

the piston was pretty hammered. Put a rod and piston in it and it and it went a couple hundred thousand miles with no other major engine issues.

Also I dig the twist in the rod to go with the bend.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It's actually not out of my truck, it was a customers 04 topkick with a hung injector and had possibly hydro locked.

the piston was pretty hammered. Put a rod and piston in it and it and it went a couple hundred thousand miles with no other major engine issues.

Also I dig the twist in the rod to go with the bend.

yeah thats nuts! that one SHOULD have broke. i hope your cust knows how damn lucky he is!

BTW, i jsut noticed the tags :roflmao:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Little update.

Bearings and gaskets are finally ordered and ordering piston rings next week. christmas put a damper on things and the fact the insurance company wants to drag their feet on settling. no matter as the case is still technically open so i may goin in for a back massage or two due to lower back stiffness :D. Sad part is since ill probably get my W2 and settlement beginning of next month, motor has to wait to hit the machine shop till then. really urking me as i was pretty stoked to possibly drop the motor off this week but these cost i didnt see added up :mad:. Once my rings are here, im pretty much just saving/paying for machine work. March race is coming soon.

So where is a decent priced place to send delipped pistons? im not 100% set on doing it but if cost isnt bad i probably will.

BTW, got to looking at the piston that broke from hitting the crank and found a crack in the lip and started in the lip. dont know how i didnt see it before so i double checked all my other pistons and they all look good. pics to come of that :D

BIG THANKS TO RUBEN FOR HELPIN ME OUT TOO :hug:.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well boys and girls, im off to socal diesel friday to drop the block and parts off for guy to work his magic! Can not wait to get this thing back running. I tried a few different shops here in az but either they had no clue what a dmax bottom end looked like and wouldnt work on it or they just flat out didnt make me feel comfortable at all to leave all that money in parts with them to work on it. Call guy and talk about putting worries aside lol. God, the dreams of me driving tthis thing again are way too vivid anymore and sometimes i wake up thinkin my truck is done NOT.