Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Alright, let me share some fun i had last night :roflmao:

rolled the truck in the garage pretty enthusiastic about getting her fixed up. Let the coolant drain while i started on seeing what o-rings i got to rebuild my airdog which was a fail (see my airdog thread on that). So finished started tearing the truck down for the new water pump. got to the balancer bolt and the fun starts. put my trusty 1/2" harbor freight breaker bar on it and a jack handle extension and start going to town. I have used this bar since the moment i first built my engine. its broke loose countless balancer bolts and fly wheel bolts over the years. Its fitting its final day was back on the engine it started life on. pull, pull, pull, hear a creak and think the bolts coming loose as its slowly giving and BAM, bye bye breaker bar end.... well shit, lets give a new one a go from HF. put it on, start pulling, dont even get half as far as my OG one and BAM, that bitch breaks.

D0uvcy5l.jpg

now im trying to figure out who the hell will have a 3/4" bar i can use and is close by. my buddy nate who has a 3/4" ratchet is already home with his fam so told him i may come by the next day and snag it. Last option was to call my good buddy who runs a snappy truck.... not going to be a cheap day :roflmao:. He says he has a few options and to stop by his house. get on the truck and he has no 1/2 or 3/4" breaker bars. he has a 1/2 breaker ratchet but i told him, i really dont see that holding up. he says "ok, we are going another route". goes into his personal stuff and pulls out his own 1/2" breaker bar. I said buddy, im really afraid ill snap that. ive already broke two, granted they are chinesium subgrade material but this thing is taking a shit ton of torque. So he pulls out what i would could only say is the sweet baby jesus of torque wrenches. a 4 ft 3/4" snappy torque wrench that goes to 700ft lbs.

6o2BBwul.jpg

yes i know to some of you all, that big shit aint nothing but when you dont ever work with it or see this stuff, its like a gold scepter when you need to get a f**king balancer bolt off. He says, turn the torque all the way up and if it clicks (which i highly dooubt it will), dont keep pulling on it or it will kill the calibration. 10-4, you got it. told him id try the 1/2 breaker bar first. get back home, throw the breaker bar on first, start pulling at what i feel is an unreasonable amount of power now with my jack handle on it and BAM, breaks. Holy f**k.

CIwgV6vl.jpg

Ok mother f**ker, im not asking any more, its time for big bertha. i crank it to 600ft lbs thinking theres no reason to go higher, get down in the bay and start pulling on that. Im damn near giving it everything i got and "click", torque wrench clicks. oh.... my.... god.... what in the f**k did i do when i put this bitch on years ago. yes im cussing alot, get over it :roflmao:. so i try a few more times thinking maybe it was just the bolt clicking coming loose. nope, this sucker is the torque wrench clicking. So i turn it up to 650.... click, torque wrench goes off. turn it up to 700 and cross my fingers, wrench goes click, BAM. im like, shit. i just broke the freaking 3/4 torque wrench, this is NOT going to be cheap to fix. i look down, no, its all in tack and its still ratcheting fine. so i pull on it again and watch as the damn bolt is finally coming loose! thank god...

rest of the tear down goes as expected. get the old pump out and see the weld on the gear has cracked all the way around. boy this is good timing. No weld on the impeller side either which i understand after trying to weld that damn thing. i can also see bad wear on the gear teeth. this was a "noisy pump" from when it seems ac delco couldnt make the gear pitch correct and caused them to whine when putting them in. mine did that for about 2 years and finally quieted up, the wear shows it lol. slam it all back in, fix a broke ODLO wire at the pin in the tcm and replaced the hydroboost.

finished up at about 12:30 last night/this morning. all seems well, no leaks and everything works. also checked the front end over, one upper ball joint has a bit of slop in it but not much, thinking thats my noise so i loaded a little grease into it for now.

boy that was fun :rofl: :happy2:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
:rofl: I have all of those big bastards.... I couldn't get a balancer bolt off with the engine on a stand, had to call a service truck over with 150 psi of air and old mother f*cker my 2161xp IR 3/4 impact, f*ck you bolt:thumb: I cuss too James:rofl: I swear those things get tightened by the hand of god sometimes:confused:

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
I used s 3/4 impact with 6" anvil, and a heavy duty swivel. Went under the radiator stack to get to it. Didn't even have to lock down the motor. That water pump cost me 800$ but it was money well spent. Who doesn't Love getting new toys for the shop!! And it made it feel like a justified purchase. Then 6 months later it got stolen

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
:rofl: I have all of those big bastards.... I couldn't get a balancer bolt off with the engine on a stand, had to call a service truck over with 150 psi of air and old mother f*cker my 2161xp IR 3/4 impact, f*ck you bolt:thumb: I cuss too James:rofl: I swear those things get tightened by the hand of god sometimes:confused:

The sad part is i can only blame myself cause i tighten the damn thing! I couldnt see how id get a 3/4" impact in there, i left the lower shroud on and just the 36mm short socket, 1/2" to 3/4" adapter plus the torque wrench only left me about an inch to the radiator. Thats one radiator i did NOT want to put a hole in. every time the bar snapped, the first thing i looked at was if i hit the radiator :roflmao:

I used s 3/4 impact with 6" anvil, and a heavy duty swivel. Went under the radiator stack to get to it. Didn't even have to lock down the motor. That water pump cost me 800$ but it was money well spent. Who doesn't Love getting new toys for the shop!! And it made it feel like a justified purchase. Then 6 months later it got stolen

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

this was the toughest one ive come across. usually, taht HF breaker bar i had takes them off without much sweat. 4 ft jack handle on it and off we go. this sum bitch went on tight! and its my doing! lmao

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
James on my lb7 I used a cheapo duralast 3/4 ratchet. With a jack handle on it and all 140lbs of me yanking on it for the balancer bolt. Something went boom and it was the bolt not the ratchet. I was impressed for less than $35

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
I use big tools all the time for work so I have them. I have tried a lot of different types but my favorite is a $10 1/2"-3/4" drive spud ratchet from tractor supply clearance bin. I have had a 6' pipe on it with 2 guys on it and it just bent the handle a little. I have both the 3/4" and 1" sets from HF broken both ratchets, bent both pull handles but they are still usable, have yet to break a socket so they are good for something.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks guys. Already got a snap on 3/4” breaker bar and a 36mm socket to go with.

In other news, anyone wanna buy this thing? Oil leak ain’t fixed. Must still be the valve cover gasket. Lower rad hose is leaking at the plastic connections (clamps ain’t tight enough, f**kin mishimoto junk), and trans line is leaking at the rad. Over this thing...

But I’ll fix it all next week when I’m off and do the aux rad install.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Thanks guys. Already got a snap on 3/4” breaker bar and a 36mm socket to go with.

In other news, anyone wanna buy this thing? Oil leak ain’t fixed. Must still be the valve cover gasket. Lower rad hose is leaking at the plastic connections (clamps ain’t tight enough, f**kin mishimoto junk), and trans line is leaking at the rad. Over this thing...

But I’ll fix it all next week when I’m off and do the aux rad install.

You shut your whore mouth, no selling the limo... All my old favorites are leaving:mad:

But I do get being tired of little things on the older trucks all the time:D

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Oh I know it Corbin. You being across the US makes it easier

Albert, I’m just getting tired of the little shit. I’m quick to keep up on it but makes for me needing to mess with it taking up time from other projects. I really REALLY don’t want it sitting wasting away either. It’s a serious battle in my head right now.

I highly doubt I’d get what I want for it anyhow.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Oh I know it Corbin. You being across the US makes it easier

Albert, I’m just getting tired of the little shit. I’m quick to keep up on it but makes for me needing to mess with it taking up time from other projects. I really REALLY don’t want it sitting wasting away either. It’s a serious battle in my head right now.

I highly doubt I’d get what I want for it anyhow.

I got the same battle but I’m not trying to tow heavy :rofl: keep up the good fight.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Your 0 help brian. You also went cummins you traitor. .

So anyone feel what we have gained in 18 years is worth the 27k price difference?

Pricing my new truck
86896994ef3d44b4fd7de8269e9c5485.png

What my dad signed before employee discounts
f1ddb75b454e3d6d71843baa7c5d85a0.jpg

Even found my receipt from my first trans from mike, old time slips and other stuff but I’ll keep that in my folder :D

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
There's definitely 27k worth of truck in my opinion. I mean when you look at it it’s really not a huge difference

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Oh I know, funny how things progress though ain’t it. That was everything you could get back then

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I wouldn't pay the kind of money they want for the new ones. But I do really enjoy driving my 2015 and think of using it on the weekends over my LBZ, but I love driving my LBZ. I have thought of selling it, but I know it would be the one I would be kicking myself for selling the rest of my life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk