NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Do it, time with your kids is priceless. I keep the diesel stock and play with my LS, it's just as fun and when it breaks I can still work and drive the wife and boy around in style safely...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the day is coming, just wont be for 2 more years at min. always fun paying more for daycare than your home :roflmao:

it will also depend on the housing market. if it starts dropping out, we will be looking to buy so the limo will stick around for sure. Ill then make sure i have the room at min for a nice sized detach garage that i can park her in when time comes. I wont feel bad about buying a new truck then and having the old girl parked in a nice garage.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well it’s front end time. Got the tube bumper off and started getting the frame mounts cut off and ready for the limos front frame. I got these used from 1fastbrick (Joseph) and when I bought them, both me and 1fastbrick thought they didn’t look too bad but they had a few tweaks to them. Told him to send them on and I’d mess with them. Well, these suckers were really bent up. Wish I took some pics of before and after but didn’t. Spent 3 hours cutting, tweaking, hammering, using the press and a bit of welding to finally get them back in shape and mocked onto the frame. None of that is joes issue, it was hard to see how tweaked they were till you really looked at them.

After getting the bumper where I thought it should be, I buzzed the mounts in and started the aux radiator install. Little trimming and cutting of the bumper and we are golden

1827a4623cb34e00240c63cfb903807b.jpg

Set the plastics in there to see how it fit. Think I’ll open that center hole up some more. Really tucked away though.
74fbf2ece86eb20a1993bce77d10a0fe.jpg

And full shot. Ignore the poor plastic placement, I’m not popping it all in place till I’m done. I like it though. Kinda sleeper looking. May ditch the bottom valence, trim the turn down part of the chrome bumper so it’s straight from center to the ends and do a small skid tucking up under the bottom
e1a6d6f83ce63ccd9ba7625779a71a77.jpg

Oil cooler is going to go flat up under the front end between the aux rad and the crossmember. I’ll build some mounts to tuck it up under there. Add some mesh in front of it to keep road debris out of it.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Wow, they where that bad?

I couldn't use them On my friends 05 truck so I am glad you where able to at least make use of them.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wow, they where that bad?

I couldn't use them On my friends 05 truck so I am glad you where able to at least make use of them.

Oh buddy, they were not happy lol. Had to cut some bracing out, use the press to reform them, hammer back square and then reweld the bracing back in. Then the bottom tabs needed to be hammered flat, tacked to the bracket and then use the press to push them back into shape.

It’s all good though. You’d never know they were damaged and everything bolts up nicely

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No idea. Everything was mock up yesterday. Today I’ll hack into the rad hose and hook it all up. I’d guess 3/4ish of a gallon more? I’ll know when I fill it as I’m reusing what I drain out

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks Zak!

So this thing is being a f-ing pain in my ass. Suppose to take 1 to maybe 2 days worth of work to get the front end done and I’m about to go on day 3 of this. Bolt in kit my ass.

Aux rad is in but took a bunch of shimming up and changing up the rubber isolators to get it to sit right and clear everything as well as shave the fan a bit to stay off the crossmember behind it. The rad hoses, trans lines and oil cooler lines are all fighting for space down there too so took a while to get them all set right and none of them touching or doing a mount to stand them off each one.

The oil cooler won’t fit directly behind the aux rad like I wanted but I off set it to the pass side. Hangs a little lower than I like but this fan ain’t thin. There are a few hoses close to the back of the fan that may block a little air flow but I don’t think it’s more than the crossmember bar that blocked it before. I need to change the oil cooler -12 fittings to a straight and a 45* as this way puts one line too close to the balancer and it’s putting pressure on the cooler that I don’t like. I’ll change that Monday when hose power opens up.

At this point, I need to put the shrouding in that keeps the aux rad from directing hot air up to cooling stack and helps funnel air from the bumper into the cooler. Wire in the oil cooler fan (used the wiring from it for the aux rad fan, same exact fan on my oil cooler). Then put the bumper on and trim the lower valence and then fill her with coolant.

b1a63c60ce8107c217a46f69c8287661.jpg

e13c81dec9198af7616b49e0064274bc.jpg

9818ccae3fd730611e43da5a490c8d31.jpg

76292f162f1136e703f5968963712256.jpg

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I hate to be the negative Nancy, but I don’t think it’ll work. You need more air going through the stack. But I like the way it looks with the bumper

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I hate to be the negative Nancy, but I don’t think it’ll work. You need more air going through the stack. But I like the way it looks with the bumper

That will increase as well. No longer have a bumper blocking air flow to the stack (or lights) and there will be shrouding that goes from the core support to the bumper to direct air flow in as well as keep the aux rad air flow out of it.

I am a bit concerned the air from the two electric fans may have issues with head pressure getting created behind them from all the air flow and limited area for air to flow too but I won’t know till I tow this summer. If that’s the case, I may have to relocate the oil cooler to under the truck which I don’t want to do. It won’t fit in front of the aux rad.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do you have you fender liners in?

Yup but I am going to try like you though last time in taking those out for a run and see what happens. I ran without a pass side one for a couple years but never paid close enough attention if running without or with made a difference. Lots changed since then too