gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Right ,but the l5P is not making 600hp towing and has alot more Management systems to pull things back where as James is literally just sending it with hsi right foot.

It doesn’t have the power but it has the cooling. He’s not using all of that 600hp. My friend tows his two car enclosed trailer grossing 24,900lbs and it’ll maintain 75 all the way to Kentucky from Ca. Not sure the % of the grades going up that way but he said the truck didn’t even flinch.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do you really expect a newer truck to do the same as yours and then some while keeping everything in check like your asking from your current truck? I just don't see it happening I guess but maybe.

I feel if you buy a new truck, youll lift it, put big tires on it and tune it expecting it to put pull what you already have and I don't think it will keep everything in check like your already dealing with. You literally have all odds against you I feel like lol

From what I know, don't twins really heat the oil up pretty good any ways? Lol try a big single or just a 68stg 2 r or something. Hell idk, it just doesn't make sense to me why your making so much heat, do you have that clutch fan that kicks on sooner? Maybe that would be a helper.

Negative. I just drove a 2017 cummins dually with the aisin and 26k on it. It pulled well beyond my expectations and honestly, faster than what I wlcould probably pull it. Why? Cause it could stay cool. We never dropped below 60mph on every grade which is awesome in 100* heat. The L5P can only be better. Can’t tune them yet anyhow lol

I have a solid hub for the fan meaning 0 slip for the fan. It’s always on. The oil cooler isn’t the only fix. I have gotten coolant hot before oil temps ever got to 230*. Where I feel the issue is, is in my tune. The build up to 600hp in my pedal is not linear, it’s kind of progressive so feathering between 400-550hp is difficult. Plus the fact it can torque along so well that it wants to stay in 5th gear but at 2100rpm, that’s not enough fan air flow nor radiator size for the power it’s making to keep coolant temps down. You pull power back and now you are not generating as much heat and the tune becomes a little more linear on the pedal. These are 6% grades as they are labeled but at miles at a time in 100*+ heat. Gm and dodge use these highways durning the summer for their truck testing. They always run phx to Payson or a few other ways. It’s hell on trucks.

It doesn’t have the power but it has the cooling. He’s not using all of that 600hp. My friend tows his two car enclosed trailer grossing 24,900lbs and it’ll maintain 75 all the way to Kentucky from Ca. Not sure the % of the grades going up that way but he said the truck didn’t even flinch.

^^yup. Realistically even durning the winter time I’m probably using 500-550hp max pulling hills in 5th gear at 70. I have pulled all these hills fully loaded at 70mph while the truck just fricken grunts in 5th and the turbos sing but it’s 60* and below outside. It’s a trip to be in the truck when it does this. Kinda eerie at first.

My idea here is to yank the tune down enough or tweak it to keep it cool and maintain speed up the hills. I have a dsp2 switch I’ll install so I can always go back to my big tow tune. The drive home makes me think I’m on to something but we will see next summer. Our trips up north are done for the season unless I need to rescue someone

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
He’s done everything to keep it cool. The cooling systems on the newer trucks are a lot better. If I get the L5P up that way James you’re more than welcome to hook up to it and try it out on some hills before you make the purchase.

Really appreciate that buddy. I have a friend with a new l5p setup how I’d pretty much do mine and said I can take it any time. I’ve always just been afraid I’d like it too much lol

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Really appreciate that buddy. I have a friend with a new l5p setup how I’d pretty much do mine and said I can take it any time. I’ve always just been afraid I’d like it too much lol

Don’t do it unless you plan on buying one. My truck seems old compared to the L5P :rofl:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I know your a smart guy James and you have done a ton of testing on keeping your truck cool. It still really surprises me that these stock trucks with 500hp can do something your can’t with the mods you have. Ya they have more cooling, but the put out a ton more heat with the emissions stuff and are less efficient. I’m really Curious if you were monitoring everything on these new trucks that you monitor on your truck if they do as well as you think they do. We already know that they get a little fast and loose with the accuracy of their temp gauges on newer trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I know your a smart guy James and you have done a ton of testing on keeping your truck cool. It still really surprises me that these stock trucks with 500hp can do something your can’t with the mods you have. Ya they have more cooling, but the put out a ton more heat with the emissions stuff and are less efficient. I’m really Curious if you were monitoring everything on these new trucks that you monitor on your truck if they do as well as you think they do. We already know that they get a little fast and loose with the accuracy of their temp gauges on newer trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i would bet the new trucks start pulling back power unbeknownst to you. they really monitor EGT at the back of the turbo and pull fuel when a certain temp is reached, its just not at drastic amounts. you slow a bit, truck kicks down a gear and egt's cool, power comes back but now fuel temps are moving up, coolant temps are moving up and the truck pulls some power back to level out. truck stays happy and you keep pulling at the same speed.

ive turned those limits off and have been using my right foot. i have no fuel temp limiter, egt's stay way cool due to the twins so power stays up with my right foot but now im working 1100-1200ft lbs of torque on oil, boost and the cooling system. the truck wont pull fuel back at certain coolant temps because ive changed those limits.

i would bet if i took a modded LML and turned all the limits off and had it setup with twins and an oil cooler, i would be driving by the coolant temp gauge as well. This is one of those cases where more power isnt best, less can do more because things are not being taxed. In my mind it makes perfect sense but could be wrong, its just speculation based on what i saw on the way home. i kept waiting for that magical part i added to give me a HUGE drop in temp and it never came. its been small progressions.

Limiters are a big thing now and better cooling systems. If i can throw a second rad under the front end cheaply, i may do it. Time to do it is very short and id rather work on other projects at this point. We will see.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I think no matter what you do to an older truck it will never pull as well as a newer truck with less power. I think management is the answer, and the older trucks just don't have it.
My LB7 was running about 530HP and had a 6 speed conversion installed. It would constantly drop out of 6th pulling a big grade. A stock LBZ would pull the same grade without dropping out of 6th.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So ive been thinking on this and im just not ready to pull the plug yet. going to play with tuning still but im also going to hook up with Joe at cooler towing (guy i got my radiator through) and look at doing a second radiator. This means my prerunner bumper goes bye bye and stock bumper goes back on but will get trimmed up like they use to do way back when. he and i will probably put provisions in as well so that the oil cooler can be used with the aux radiator and fan so the oil cooler is right in front of the aux rad or ill separate it off to the side or behind. not sure yet.

Hi my name is James and im hopelessly addicted to towing with way too much power. <-- thats the first step, right?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Could the trans be creating too much heat and over powering the radiator? If your oil is staying cool something else has to be effecting the coolant.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Could the trans be creating too much heat and over powering the radiator? If your oil is staying cool something else has to be effecting the coolant.

Since mikes cooler, i have not seen over 210 on the trans. that use to get up to 230-240 with coolant but i would be running 240* on coolant at every hill. Its very very slow to rise in temp.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Since mikes cooler, i have not seen over 210 on the trans. that use to get up to 230-240 with coolant but i would be running 240* on coolant at every hill. Its very very slow to rise in temp.

I’d be curious to see what the temps are coming in before the radiator