Build costs

Oct 21, 2009
well that is true i can not fight about that but i got a motor that has low comp on #4 and lost to injectors. I fixed or replaced the injectors and now i have to pull the motor apart and i want to do the most i can while im in there. but still be able to use the truck not just race and play with it. but would love to build a race truck next so thats why ill try to learn from all you guys tell i get enough to do what ive learned and build this motor as bad as i can (as funds afford but i dont want to waist it on stuff thats not needed and only use the stuff thats most benificial now )

Well once you pull it apart you can go from there on what is good and what is bad, then figure that into your budget. For instance if your going to need to bore it over or not, bearings, head work, etc. (basically what machine work and parts you might need to replace matter what)

As money persits I would go in this order until you run out of budget, head studs, rods, keyed cam, pistons, main studs. Thats just my opionion. Machine work, gaskets, misc., labor add up pretty fast as well.

buckmasterjr

Dec 18, 2010
southern utah
Well once you pull it apart you can go from there on what is good and what is bad, then figure that into your budget. For instance if your going to need to bore it over or not, bearings, head work, etc. (basically what machine work and parts you might need to replace matter what)

As money persits I would go in this order until you run out of budget, head studs, rods, keyed cam, pistons, main studs. Thats just my opionion. Machine work, gaskets, misc., labor add up pretty fast as well.

then where from there if i have more funds thanks for you help

Oct 21, 2009
then where from there if i have more funds thanks for you help

List goes on as far as engine your going to want a damper also injector hold downs, billet flex plate, the list goes on. There is alot more things you can do but depending on your hp goals might not be worth it. But you might want to consider holding off on all the fancy things and invest in injectors, cp3's, turbos.

A 600hp truck is not going to cost you near what a 1000hp truck. You can make 600hp with stock turbo, block, etc.

Oct 21, 2009
im looking for some where in the 600 to a thousand (i realize thats a big range so it depends on my cash flow when i build) and still be dd so i want the most i can and still use it all around with the different levels

There is actually a guy on here selling his motor build parts at a good price if you have money:thumb:

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
List goes on as far as engine your going to want a damper also injector hold downs, billet flex plate, the list goes on. There is alot more things you can do but depending on your hp goals might not be worth it. But you might want to consider holding off on all the fancy things and invest in injectors, cp3's, turbos.

A 600hp truck is not going to cost you near what a 1000hp truck. You can make 600hp with stock turbo, block, etc.

:confused:
What truck do you know making 600 hp with a stock turbo?

buckmasterjr

Dec 18, 2010
southern utah
ive got two motors one i bought or am buying has a broke crank but has injectors and cp3 and turbo its complete motor and the other one is in my truck i think it has cracked piston but i want to do injectors adn twins or triples two while im building if i can and im switching to efi live also so i would like to be high horse power than lower but i still want to drive it for all stuff and use it so i want to do all the engine while im in there and then do the adders as i can as i go hope this makes sense

Oct 21, 2009
I was confused cause you didn't tell the guy that he'd need NOS and that pushing a stock turbo that far can/pretty much will overspeed it and kill it and your motor. Very unsafe advice....

Are you sure cause its been done time after time, stock turbo's can blow up on stock tune if you really wanna go there, running high psi over boosting them can as well you can build a full built motor and it can still blow up. So I guess any advise is unsafe advise. To spray to 600hp does not take much of a shot. Its also about tuning and setup. Have you ran nitrous ever..... I have...Many time actually. I blew up a few turbos on diesels not even running it and have also ran it and not blown them up....

Also did I ever say run nitrous nope sure didn't

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

Where do you purchase the injector hold downs for the lbz?
Also why are you recommending billet plate and dampner?

Oct 21, 2009
Where do you purchase the injector hold downs for the lbz?
Also why are you recommending billet plate and dampner?

Thats my f up on the injector hold downs. I didn't recommend it if he was only wanting 600hp I said there was a number of upgrades he could, well if he is shooting for 1000hp I think these are justified. It is all in the power he plans on making. The stock flex plate when bolted to a good converter with lower hp range should be fine. When your getting to huge power and lots of stress its a peace of mind to have the billet upgrade. The dampner is needed when making big power to keep everything balanced. So you would suggest at 1000hp not running either?

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thats my f up on the injector hold downs. I didn't recommend it if he was only wanting 600hp I said there was a number of upgrades he could, well if he is shooting for 1000hp I think these are justified. It is all in the power he plans on making. The stock flex plate when bolted to a good converter with lower hp range should be fine. When your getting to huge power and lots of stress its a peace of mind to have the billet upgrade. The dampner is needed when making big power to keep everything balanced. So you would suggest at 1000hp not running either?

I think Simon knows something about running a little over stock power

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike L is a chitty golfer....I gonna open a can of :wup: on him.:D

Probably need bolt cutters to do it you old fart.:D
I have been working on my game Ken. I expect to peak just before i ram it up your..nevermind.:D
We need to call this the first annual Duramax Diesel golf shootout. All you pussys are invited to play. Although Ken and I are having a death match and the prize is a golden walker ( plated platic from china ) with a horn, we could have prize money for all kinds of things. Might be a great yearly thing.
Heard there was a golf course near McRat that had a special tent with females as a prize.:rofl::roflmao::baby:

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Probably need bolt cutters to do it you old fart.:D
I have been working on my game Ken. I expect to peak just before i ram it up your..nevermind.:D
We need to call this the first annual Duramax Diesel golf shootout. All you pussys are invited to play. Although Ken and I are having a death match and the prize is a golden walker ( plated platic from china ) with a horn, we could have prize money for all kinds of things. Might be a great yearly thing.
Heard there was a golf course near McRat that had a special tent with females as a prize.:rofl::roflmao::baby:

Can I use my hockey stick??? Bout the only way I'm gonna hit a ball that small.... :D